You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thumbs up Fat Boy Shafts & QuikSpins

One of my customers just told me that they started shooting the new Easton Fat Boy Shafts and Quikspin vanes. He said he is getting the best groups he has ever shot.

So after his endorsement, I started shooting the Fatboys with 1.8" 3D Duravanes. These are flying really well too. I am going to spend some time shooting them on the Field course and see how I do.

The new NAP QuikSpin vanes are 4" long and have a little rutter on the back end of the vane. They call it a kicker and it causes a straight or slight offset fletched arrow to spin faster than a helical feather. This is quite an accomplishment. I know when hunting season rolls around, I will be shooting the new Easton ST Axis arrows with Quikspin vanes.

If you have any experience with these shafts or vanes, please reply
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Thumbs up I agree

I have been using the Axis 340 shafts and love them. I shot a turkey with one this year from my double bull blind. I started using them for 3-D as well. Boy are they hard to pull out of a McKenzie target.
    Some of my friends are starting to use the Fat Shafts and they love them as well. I think I will be trying them myself for 3-D, but definetly will stay with the Axis arrows for hunting.
    I read another post on another sight that some guy wrote about the Axis shafts not keeping their straightness tolerancess long after being shot for a while. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this?

I saw that post too about axis shafts and them loosing their grouping ability. However, this is the only case I have heard of this. If it was wide spread, I am sure we would hear more.

I will also be hunting with the axis shafts this year.

As far as the hard too pull...tell your club to get Rineharts. Second thing buy some gorilla grease lube. Makes it much easier to pull the arrows.

I have a couple of buds who are shooting the "Fat Boy's" in 3-D. They all love them.

I saw my first "quick spin" vane 2 days ago. They are sexy looking to say the least.

I bought some and will tell you what they did. It may be a week before I have tested them. Plan is to try them on both target and hunting shafts.

Back to the "Fat Boy" thing. Gold Tip is offering a 25 size arrow also. It is called the Pro X-Cutter. Since my buds were testing the FB's, I bought a dozen of the Gold Tips. So far so good. Out of the dozen bare shafts, 9 spun almost perfect. I'll keep you updated.

- Pinky

Oh yeah.....To ease in the removal of carbon shafts from 3-D targets, try using a small bar of soap. Yep, just rub down the first six inches of the shaft with the soap and they pull much easier.

What is Gorilla Grease?
    Last edited by Pinky; 06-05-2004 at 09:57 PM.

5-Spot just did a review of the Quik Spin vanes and says they are very good. You can read his review here

Before switching you might want to check the weight on the quick spins. They are heavier than normal vanes and will definately change you f.o.c......

What is f.o.c?

THX in advance
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

FOC stands for Front of Center. It's the a measurement that shows at what point your arrow balances. You can find the balance point easily, just use a pencil and try to figure out at what point your arrow balances. You want your FOC between roughly 7-15%. Some documents even say for broadheads you want to be 11% or more.

Find the exact center of the arrow measured in inches and mark with a pencil. Then find the balance point of the arrow. Take the difference of the balance point from the center point and divide by the total length. This will give you the percentage.

Lets say the arrow is 30" in length (including the tip or broadhead and to the throat of the nock). The center is then 15" but it balances 3" closer to the tip than the center of the arrow. The FOC is 3/30 or 10%.

What hoytme is saying is that the quik spins are slightly heavier than standard vanes and this will change the FOC. The effect is the FOC is less than it is with standard vanes.

THX Chris for the explaination.

I will test my arrows and see what I have. I have never tested this before.

THX

I am going to start a new thread on FOC to avoid muddying up this thread. I would appreciate input there.

I have some Axis that i think im gonna get refletched with the quickspin, I really do like the Axis they have grooped well for me.

Default fatboys,speed23's,goldtip prox-cutters,blazers and quickspins

I shoot a ovation,and regularly shoot speed 23 vapors w/duravanes.
    I owned the x-cutters and the were REALLY bad in flight because the spine is TOO stiff,you need to put about 200 grains up front to make them fly true...I still have 1/2 a dozen laying here with 100 in the front,beiter nocks,brand new duravanes,what a waste,been flinging one once an a while at strange objects is about all there good for to me.I'll give em' a way.I swear.
    Me and my partner were excited to try out the blazers and the new quickspins on our arrows.
    I know that he put some blazers on his hunting arrows(cx300's),and I put some quickspins my selects,we got to shooting them,fine with regular arrows.We fletched up some vapors,they started pounding the cable......
    If you own a mathews bow you can forget it...1/2 The diameter of the shaft+5/8=hitting the cable on a mathews...
    I told mathews about it,I said "The hottest selling vanes out on the market can't be shot on the best 3d arrows,Iwould just like to bring this to your attention.
    Usually the arrow and vane manufacturers revolves around the bow manufacturers specifications,but with all the millions of quickspins and blazers already sold his year,hopefully the distnce of the riser will increase on them."
    They have always been close to 3/4,they got the 80% out just fine didn't they?I swear I would love a job there,man...I swear it.
    Last edited by glenny; 07-20-2004 at 09:15 PM.

Default Good But No Hogs

I been shotting Axis in ASA and The arrows fly and group just fine .
    But when You put an arrow in the 12 ring you would like to take up as much room as possible. These arrows are to small. I am tring to get some fat boys seems to be a shortage in my area of michigan. The axis arrows really take a beating and keep coming back strong.

kcmichigan,

If you need fatboy 400's, we have them in stock. Just click the archery equipment link in my signature. It's the 500 series that seems to be extremely hard to get.