You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Does anybody know if this is a good Bow?

I have been looking for a used hunting Bow. this will be the first Bow for me. I had posted on a site in my town and someone replied about a bow that they have. Is this thing any good, it sounds like it is probably old. I do not mind fixing it up with some new stuff if it is worth it.

Anyhelp is appreciated it.

Thanks

here is the response he gave me:
    HI, I HAVE A PSE FIREFLIGHT I THINK THIS MATCHES WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR I BOUGHT THIS BOW IN 1993 BUT HARDLEY USED IT I HAVE IT STORED AWAY IT COMES WITH A HARD CASE AND SOME CARBON ARROWS I ALSO HAVE A VIPER ARROW REST AND A COBRA QUICK RELEASE THAT I PUT ON THERE I TYHINK THE DRAW IS 32 BUT NOT SURE DRAW WEIGHT IS 65 AND BETTER. THIS BOW IS MINT.

32" draw...How tall are you? If you are not 6'5" or so, forget it. It is way to long unless it is adjustable. What kind of price is he talking. If it has been sitting that long, I would not shoot it without changing the strings and cables.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

I agree with Chris about the long draw. My opinion has always been that if a bow's drawlength does not fir or can not be adjusted to the shooter then the price doesn't matter. It's still not a good deal.

As Chris said, for a 32" draw you need to be aprrox. 6'5" tall.

Default Here is the link to the bow I am interested in.

I am 5'10". I am a bodybuilder so strength is not an issue. My research tell sme that I need a 29 - 30" draw length and a 70 - 80# draw weight. What do you guy sthink of this bow and is it a good deal? I am going to look at it tomorrow.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/spo/131048643.html

Quote Originally Posted by Longisalndhunter
    I am 5'10". I am a bodybuilder so strength is not an issue. My research tell sme that I need a 29 - 30" draw length and a 70 - 80# draw weight. What do you guy sthink of this bow and is it a good deal? I am going to look at it tomorrow.
    You are looking for trouble if you think that your body building strength will enhance your archery game.

If you are 5' 10", your draw length is probably more like 27"-28". With your upper body, you could draw, say 32". But, that does not make it the right draw length.

I will make no comment on the bow. The hard case is worth $50. The arrows, and all the add ons may, or may not make the bow better.

If this is your first bow, shoot it. You decide if it's worth the money.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

Default I think you misunderstood my post.

I never thought it would enhance my archery ability, in fact I fear that it will hurt me due to my decreased range of motion, however I am pretty sure that due to an above average level of strength, I wouldn't want a draw weight that was too low, right?

Why no comment on the bow?

your strengh has nothing to do with you buying a bow i am a big guy also i am 5'10 225 and work out everyday. my draw lenght is 26 1/2 inches since i use a loop string and release i could pull a bow back set at 100lbs but there is no need i shoot mine set at 65 lbs and almost every deer i have shot has been a clean pass thru. you need to think less about your own strengh and learn a bit more about how a bow works then make your choice. as for a good bow for you check out www.huntersfriend.com they have great package deals on some very nice starter bows and great prices

Default Now that makes no sense at all to me.

OK Thanks,

P.S. Nobody has commented on the bow that I am looking to buy. Is it any good?
    Last edited by Longisalndhunter; 02-04-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Glad to see that you want to take up archery! About that PSE, it may be a good bow but it does'nt sound like it is gonna fit ya. I agree with Mudd dawg though there are alot of places that sell starter package deals. Do you have anyone that you know that shoots to help you get started? I would definitely try to find a local archery shop. Most archery shop owners are very informative and will probably get you set up with some good stuff and help you get going. The shop I go to the owner I know will make sure you are set up properly before you leave

the bow is an ok bow and for that price i would make an ok bow. like i said your better of just buying a start bow new from a archery shop or some thing it would be best like radar said to find a local shop that would atlest be able to help you pick the right bow for your size and what you plan to do with it. your better off buying a bow that is right for you and being happy then buying a bow that does not fit.Fit is the most important i belive when buying a bow.archery i be nature a simple sport to get into but with the wrong equipment it can be frustrating and we would hate to see you give it up for the simple fact you have the wrong bow.Good luck and let us know how it turns out
    Last edited by mudd_dawg; 02-04-2006 at 06:45 PM.

The bow is old and out of production. String and cables (if synthetic) will need replaced. Hard cases cost as little as $20. Given that everything is of mediocre quality when new I'd say $125 for everything---TOPS.

Now, I agree that at your height about 28" is your approximate drawlength. And there is nothing walking north america that calls for an 80# bow, or even 70# for that matter.

I had a body builder in my shoip last year that just had to have a 70# bow--his buddy was there and said that's what he should have. I set a couple of bows up for him and he was sure having his problems. I made some "adjustments" to get the bow to fit him better and when we got to where he could "almost" handle it easily it was at 62#. He couldn't believe it until I explained that it takes different muscles pulling and pushing in a different direction than most body building. I also explained that archery is a game of accuracy--not brute strength, and that he is not a lesser man for looking at it from a different perspective.