You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Smile My wife wants to start shooting with me

My wife said she would start shooting with me. So I happend to know where I could get a free recurve. It is 62" with a 35# draw weight. It says Wing Archery on it. Any way I ordered a string for it and arrow rest. I will go to gander mtn. as soon as we can and find out her draw length and buy some arrows. She doesn't want to hunt, she just wants to have a hobby with me.
    I think its great. We have two children a 2 year old and a 10 mth old and I think it can be a great family hobby.
    aim small, miss small

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by RunMich View Post
    My wife said she would start shooting with me. So I happend to know where I could get a free recurve. It is 62" with a 35# draw weight. It says Wing Archery on it. Any way I ordered a string for it and arrow rest. I will go to gander mtn. as soon as we can and find out her draw length and buy some arrows. She doesn't want to hunt, she just wants to have a hobby with me.
    I think its great. We have two children a 2 year old and a 10 mth old and I think it can be a great family hobby.
    Now thtas tha spirit of archery taday
    keepin tha famil tagether and trainin em up in it.
    I think it is wonderful

Be sure ta git her an armguard for she will need it.
    some sites would be adviseable as she can better hit tha targit and stay encouraged
    tha bare bow can be frustrating
    for a newbie it could be a killer.
    Ya'll have fun

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Thats great that your wife wants to shoot! Remember only give her encouragement and never laugh at her mistakes. I love to see a family group at a 3d shoot.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by lungcutter View Post
    Thats great that your wife wants to shoot! Remember only give her encouragement and never laugh at her mistakes. I love to see a family group at a 3d shoot.
    I don't mind if people laugh at me if I make a dumb mistake . Just don't get angry and frustrated with her. Keep it a happy thing for her.

That's great that your wife is interested but I must say that unless she is pretty strong 35lb is alot of weight to be holding for someone brand new. With a short 62" bow that is gonna be pretty tough. I've been shooting compound for almost a year and I started doing recurve about 3 months or so ago and let me tell ya 30lb is tough when you're trying to work on form etc. I understand that it's not going to be piece of cake but to a newbie that could get pretty discouraging. Even if the bow is free you might see if they have some lighter poundage bows for her to try and you won't see her giving up practically before she starts. World class archers in the olympics pull around 40 and they shoot like 1000 arrows a day if they gives you any indication.

My new limbs are 32 lbs and I'm doubting I'll go to heavier limbs, now in a compound bow 35lbs would be fine probably for her.
    FBSA Member and Concierge
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

mrs pilot does not mind if anyone laughs at her mistakes.....unless it's me, then it's a whole different animal!

I tend to agree with the chelleo as far as the draw weight and getting her frustrated pretty quickly. My wife started shooting with me last winter and we have both really enjoyed it. She started on a 30lb compound bow. I never would have predicted how competitive she would be with me though....she can be down right ruthless. She has always tagged along with some of my other hobbies but now she is really participating. I couldn't be happier that she decided to do this with me.
    Last edited by pilot; 11-12-2007 at 01:59 PM.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
    Quickstand Archery
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
    God's Country Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by chelleo View Post
    That's great that your wife is interested but I must say that unless she is pretty strong 35lb is alot of weight to be holding for someone brand new. With a short 62" bow that is gonna be pretty tough. I've been shooting compound for almost a year and I started doing recurve about 3 months or so ago and let me tell ya 30lb is tough when you're trying to work on form etc. I understand that it's not going to be piece of cake but to a newbie that could get pretty discouraging. Even if the bow is free you might see if they have some lighter poundage bows for her to try and you won't see her giving up practically before she starts. World class archers in the olympics pull around 40 and they shoot like 1000 arrows a day if they gives you any indication.

My new limbs are 32 lbs and I'm doubting I'll go to heavier limbs, now in a compound bow 35lbs would be fine probably for her.

She can pull my 55 lb recurve back, not easy for her but she can do it. If this ends up being to much I will get her a new bow.
    aim small, miss small

She can pull my 55 lb recurve back, not easy for her but she can do it. If this ends up being to much I will get her a new bow.
    Yipes....don't get her mad...
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

Quote Originally Posted by chelleo View Post
    Yipes....don't get her mad...
    My wife would be more willing to shoot at me than to shoot with me....
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

When I started shooting, I started at 40# and quickly up to 45#. but I have never shot a recurve either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    When I started shooting, I started at 40# and quickly up to 45#. but I have never shot a recurve either.
    Yes Wheels it's quite a bit different between the 2 when it comes to draw weight. I think on the average it's probably like 10lbs different between the two. My compound I'm fine at 40lbs, and the recurve is at 30 right now. I will probably be able to crank up my limbs a bit more eventually, but the weight on the fingers is quite a difference, remember with our compound I'm only holding about 10lbs or so and recurve I'd be holding that whole 40. I wouldn't be doing that for more than a few times before you yelled uncle, if I could even pull it back. Even the most skilled men I know don't come close to using a heavy 50 lb bow.

I wouldnt trust Gander to give an accurate draw length measurement. I'm not sure they know how Where do you live in michigan?
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Thats fantastic. I would love it if my wife would start shooting with me.

"HONDA"