You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thumbs down First experience with compound

Well, I've finally got my first compound - used Mathews Ovation 60lb (have been shooting only traditional before that).

So, I pull it out of the box, check it out to the best of my knowledge, draw a couple of time - everything looks great. Of course I'm eager to try it out.

I put on Flipper II arrow rest, knock an arrow that most closely matches the needed spine, step 5 yards from the target and trying to shoot......

....the arrow drops on a floor 1 feet in front of me, as I hear a whizzing sound of cable and smell of something burning.... "Just @#$@ great" I think, "I've managed to screw up bow on a first shot @#$@!"

On closer examination, everything looks fine, no cracks or such. The problem is - the string came off the wheel on upper limb, and there's no way that I can put it back manually Now, I have to wait until monday, drive to mathews dealer to have it checked, and probably spend more $$$.

I'm not quite sure what caused it, but I suspect that knock was not tight enough.

So, now, I'm thinking, maybe it was a bad idea on my part trying to switch to compounds. With traditional - I can fix anything at home without bow press or any other tools, though there's not much that can break in the first place. I can make a string myself in 30 min etc. And with compound - I can do nothing..

Just venting out....

p.s. shooting the #$@ out of the target with my longbow helped a bit, but I still feel frustrated.

Nick

don't give up that easy. you should at least shoot a group before you decide that you dont like compounds

And to 3d shoots
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Site Guru

I shoot an Ovation as well. You MAY have dry fired the bow if the arrow wasn't knocked correctly.
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by khel View Post
    and smell of something burning....
    I am thinking thats not very good.......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default Man!

That dont sound good.
    Ive seen a guy in a tournament come out with a mathews that had jumped off the cam.
    But ive never noticed a bow make a smell.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    That dont sound good.
    Ive seen a guy in a tournament come out with a mathews that had jumped off the cam.
    Thats one smokin' bow

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    That dont sound good.
    I have experienced this type of smell before found out the screw that held the draw module on was about to fall out....Tightened it up and that was it...
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Well, I've finally had it checked!

Everything is fine and I'm really happy about it (though string had to be reserved.)

Now, considering that it's impossible to do any work on it without special tools, the real question is - what do you do when you are going on a hunting trips, say to another state or country? Just take 2 bows? Or portable bow press and spare parts?

Also, I would really like to be able to work on a bow myself, so, a link to a good book or video would help a lot

Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by khel View Post
    Well, I've finally had it checked!

Everything is fine and I'm really happy about it (though string had to be reserved.)

Now, considering that it's impossible to do any work on it without special tools, the real question is - what do you do when you are going on a hunting trips, say to another state or country? Just take 2 bows? Or portable bow press and spare parts?

Also, I would really like to be able to work on a bow myself, so, a link to a good book or video would help a lot

Thanks

Nick
    It's easier just to keep a backup bow with you just in case. It never fails that something happens when you are going to go hunting and you don't have the equipment or the part you need to fix it. I am not sure if Mathews has any video's for working on there bows or not BUNNYMAN can probably answer that though. Different Bows require that you press them differently make sure you do your homework before you start.
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Quote Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
    It's easier just to keep a backup bow with you just in case. It never fails that something happens when you are going to go hunting and you don't have the equipment or the part you need to fix it. I am not sure if Mathews has any video's for working on there bows or not BUNNYMAN can probably answer that though. Different Bows require that you press them differently make sure you do your homework before you start.
    Acctually the MATHEWS forum website has a ton of tuning info on there....

I amazed at the amount of info they give out over there......
    I cut things up and split them down!