You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creep tuning your target bow.

I have a customer that is getting started in target shooting. He was in the range the other day shooting a 300 round. He was getting a bit frustrated. He said he couldn't figure out why he was getting some low shots.

He said, they may not be perfect but they shouldn't be that low in the 4 ring. So I watched him shoot and didn't see anything obvious that should be causing the lows.

I said let's check out a few things on your bow. We put the bow in the hooter shooter and got it to full draw. I noticed the timing was off just a touch. So we started shooting it with the hooter shooter. We pulled arrows after each shot and marked the paper where the arrow landed. This bow would have been breaking arrows like crazy.

So I said, let's check the creep tune. Well, we found a problem. When hard into the wall, the arrows would drop low. If you were really hard into the wall, it would drop 2+ inches. This was not good an should be corrected.

So off to the bow press I go. I put one twist in the buss cable and repeated the test. Bingo we got all the arrows in the same group.

So don't let anyone tell you it's not important to thoroughly test your target bows. You want your target bow to be setup as forgiving as possible.

I purposely left the brand of bow off because I don't really think that is important here. But if you have any sort of 2 cam system and are serious about spot shooting, creep tune it!
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I have a customer that is getting started in target shooting. He was in the range the other day shooting a 300 round. He was getting a bit frustrated. He said he couldn't figure out why he was getting some low shots.

He said, they may not be perfect but they shouldn't be that low in the 4 ring. So I watched him shoot and didn't see anything obvious that should be causing the lows.

I said let's check out a few things on your bow. We put the bow in the hooter shooter and got it to full draw. I noticed the timing was off just a touch. So we started shooting it with the hooter shooter. We pulled arrows after each shot and marked the paper where the arrow landed. This bow would have been breaking arrows like crazy.

So I said, let's check the creep tune. Well, we found a problem. When hard into the wall, the arrows would drop low. If you were really hard into the wall, it would drop 2+ inches. This was not good an should be corrected.

So off to the bow press I go. I put one twist in the buss cable and repeated the test. Bingo we got all the arrows in the same group.

So don't let anyone tell you it's not important to thoroughly test your target bows. You want your target bow to be setup as forgiving as possible.

I purposely left the brand of bow off because I don't really think that is important here. But if you have any sort of 2 cam system and are serious about spot shooting, creep tune it!

good info as always, glad to see you posting......

my question is, how important is it to creep tune on a single cam???
    I cut things up and split them down!

I would just like to find a bow shop in my area that actually knew how to tune a bow. How far are you from Chicago Chris? I would like to bring my bows up and let you go thru them sometime....
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Wish I had a hooter shooter.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Bullfiddle...From Chicago 90+ miles NW of Chicago.

Bunnyman... I attempted to creep tune my Apex7... found it not necessary. In fact, I don't know how you would creep tune a single cam.

I couldn't believe how little the impact point changed. I shot the bow 1/4" short of the valley and 1/4" past the valley (I don't think I could physically hold it there) Anyway, it changed the impact point 1/2 the width of an arrow.

Needless to say, I was impressed with the Apex7

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    Wish I had a hooter shooter.
    You can use the one I use.(Brian) lol
    Elite Z28
    Pathfinder wraps
    Vortex optics
    Gods Country Outdoors
    Ranger custom bowstrings

Bullfiddle...From Chicago 90+ miles NW of Chicago.

Bunnyman... I attempted to creep tune my Apex7... found it not necessary. In fact, I don't know how you would creep tune a single cam.

I couldn't believe how little the impact point changed. I shot the bow 1/4" short of the valley and 1/4" past the valley (I don't think I could physically hold it there) Anyway, it changed the impact point 1/2 the width of an arrow.

Needless to say, I was impressed with the Apex7
    thats what I thought I remember you saying, but wanted to make sure....
    I cut things up and split them down!

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

Wink Creep tuning?

Oh, I get it now..... I thought "Creep tuning" was if I let Bunnyman tune my bow.....
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

Quote Originally Posted by two_shoes View Post
    Oh, I get it now..... I thought "Creep tuning" was if I let Bunnyman tune my bow.....
    Good one!!!!
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Talking

Good one!!!!
    Hey JC,

I could not let that one slide, it was causing physical pain to not type.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

You can't creep tune a single cam bow. However, you can often get some good results by tiller tuning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    You can't creep tune a single cam bow. However, you can often get some good results by tiller tuning it.
    Does this involve a sailboat?

Sorry.....
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by two_shoes View Post
    Does this involve a sailboat?

Sorry.....
    I'v gravel tuned a bow...but I ain't never thrown one down in the garden and tiller tuned it......
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

I prefer hammer tuning.
    Elite Z28
    Pathfinder wraps
    Vortex optics
    Gods Country Outdoors
    Ranger custom bowstrings

For me, I like the top cam stop hitting just a tick before the bottom cam stop. It takes the highs and lows out of the shot and is more forgiving that way.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

I'v gravel tuned a bow...but I ain't never thrown one down in the garden and tiller tuned it......
    now that's funny
    I just measured tha strings
    buss cable are42.5 string is 56.5 if I got a good measurement.
    do these sound right.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

While it may not be necessary in the end to try creep tuning your single, I thinks it's worth finding out if the cam and nockpoint have a sweet-spot. Don't know if you'd call it creep tuning or not but a half twist or 2 in both dirrections on the buss cable just to see is worth while. It could be also that some cam designs are just a little more forgiving than others. I know my Icon is more sensitive to creep than the minimax on the Rival Pro. It sure don't hurt to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    While it may not be necessary in the end to try creep tuning your single, I thinks it's worth finding out if the cam and nockpoint have a sweet-spot. Don't know if you'd call it creep tuning or not but a half twist or 2 in both dirrections on the buss cable just to see is worth while. It could be also that some cam designs are just a little more forgiving than others. I know my Icon is more sensitive to creep than the minimax on the Rival Pro. It sure don't hurt to find out.
    I wouldn't really call this creep tuning but I understand what you are getting at. Adjusting the cable here will make minor changes to your nocking point, draw weight and will slightly change the cam rotation.

I've never tried to tiller tune a parallel limb bow. I wonder how it would react to this?