You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Mathew Icon

Default Mathew Icon

Just joined the forum. I'm curious what folks think of the Mathew Icon. I bought mine the year they came out (3-4 years ago?). I bought it to hunt because I figured accuracy is everything and the longer axle/axle and smoother cams might make it easier for me to shoot well. Just wondering how it performed against the other Mathews bows.

I had a Icon in Black Cherry, shot more 300's with that bow, than any other, sold it in the spring, after shooting the Prestige w/ a super solid wall, I couldnt switch back and forth very easily, for hunting and indoor its a great bow, for 3d nothing compares to my Prestige for me.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

I've never used mine for hunting, but for indoor dots, it's pretty good. Long riser with nearly parallel limbs and very smooth shooting. Some of the other manufacturers are finally seeing the benefits of this configuration.

The cam's draw force curve is a little steep going into the valley, but it's easy to get used to. The Hoyt shooters that have tried mine don't care for it at all. Most of them have trouble keeping the arrow on the rest.

I like mine just fine thankyou. The unfortunate side to one is they are not as fast as most, if any, other Mathews. I think the Legacy came out the same year and was shorter/faster which still is the rage I guess, and the icon just kind of was overlooked. I've thought of selling it a few times but in the end, it does what I bought it for, to hunt. If I hunted more open country where longer shots were the norm I'd probably be looking for a faster bow to help with trajectory, but all my hunting is relatively close in. Mine is set up with a fall-away rest, an Anchor Sight, and a 3 pin VBG Trapper. 60lbs and a 28.5 cam, 425ish grain arrows. Does the job.