You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do Xtremely long Stabilizers do?

I was target shooting yesterday, and a group of archers came in and they pulled out their bows; Matthews Drenalin LD and a Hoyt Vectrix, and they had...30" stabilizers on them. They also had scopes and all the fancy stuff.

These guys shot the daylights out of these targets! They were begging the X's all night..I think they missed the X from 20 yards maybe 4 times out of probably 70 shots each.

My question is...why do all target archers use LONG stabilizers? DO they make the bow more steady for aiming, or do they just prevent the bow from jumping when it is shot? I'd love to know.

I think stabilizers like mine...the short 6 inch ones are just to reduce vibration correct? But the long ones are for stability when aiming?

Jim Posten, you can probably help me on this one...
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Good ?
    It will keep your bow from falling backards
    take it off and hold it in your hand and it will pivoit back

it also reduces shock

so its # 1 USE IS TO KEEP IT stablized the bow in your hand front to back

now there is right and left issues that some use to address that stablization as well

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Kinda like the tightrope walkers using a long balance pole.

Throw a long bar with a v bar offset on your bow and shoot, you will se real quickly why we use them.
    www.livingstongunclub.org
    www.jimposten.com for the finest stabilizers in the world
    www.meanvarchery.com Custom String Suppression for that shot of a lifetime
    Add some custom bling with a www.slingbraid.com

Length compounds leverage which will increase inertia (resistance to movement)

Grab a golf club by the handle, and swing it around, you can feel it takes significant force to move the head. now choke up on the handle halfway (which simulates a shorter stab) It gets easier to move. Shorter stabs have less leverage, so with the same weight at the end, it will resist movement less.

You can however amplify the resistance by shooting a shorter stab, but increasing the weight at the end of the stab to still end up with the same effect.

The advantage to the long stab, is the farther you extend the weight from the point of rotation (you hand) the less weight you will need to get large results, which equals less mass weight.

The second job of a stab is to create or upset ballance. (The management of directional pulls) This is where length plays a huge factor as well. length compounds leverage to make less weight feel like more, or less weight needed to get the same directional pull. the draw and holding weight of the bow will give the feel of a rearward pull on a bare bow. single stablizers are used to offset that directional pull, by pulling back in the opposite direction.

Full v-systems work in the exact same way, but allow us to get more precise by opening up ballance options in all directions. You can correct sight or shelf side imballances, as well as weight added to the rear is like taking off weight in the front. so while it may be dificult to shoot a 36"main with 3 oz on the end of the stab for you, it may not be if you can offsett that directional pull rearward.

JIM
    Last edited by jimposten; 11-29-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    STABMAN.... Stabilizing the world one bow at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimposten View Post
    Length compounds leverage which will increase inertia (resistance to movement)

Grab a golf club by the handle, and swing it around, you can feel it takes significant force to move the head. now choke up on the handle halfway (which simulates a shorter stab) It gets easier to move. Shorter stabs have less leverage, so with the same weight at the end, it will resist movement less.

You can however amplify the resistance by shooting a shorter stab, but increasing the weight at the end of the stab to still end up with the same effect.

The advantage to the long stab, is the farther you extend the weight from the point of rotation (you hand) the less weight you will need to get large results, which equals less mass weight.

The second job of a stab is to create or upset ballance. (The management of directional pulls) This is where length plays a huge factor as well. length compounds leverage to make less weight feel like more, or less weight needed to get the same directional pull. the draw and holding weight of the bow will give the feel of a rearward pull on a bare bow. single stablizers are used to offset that directional pull, by pulling back in the opposite direction.

Full v-systems work in the exact same way, but allow us to get more precise by opening up ballance options in all directions. You can correct sight or shelf side imballances, as well as weight added to the rear is like taking off weight in the front. so while it may be dificult to shoot a 36"main with 3 oz on the end of the stab for you, it may not be if you can offsett that directional pull rearward.

JIM

My goodness you sound smart!
    www.livingstongunclub.org
    www.jimposten.com for the finest stabilizers in the world
    www.meanvarchery.com Custom String Suppression for that shot of a lifetime
    Add some custom bling with a www.slingbraid.com

Site Guru

basically they look 22.6% cooler
    No I'm not dead

So would I be more accurate with a longer stabilizer on my Vectrix than the Hoyt 6", 8oz. one I have currently?

I have a problem with my pins floating more than I like, and I am looking for something to get that to stop, not to mention resist some premature flinching also.

Is it a given that if you go to a 26-30 inch stabilizer you will be more accurate?
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    My goodness you sound smart!
    that is what I was thinking...mine just looks really cool
    Hook 'Em Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    basically they look 22.6% cooler
    you obviously don't shoot with a Posten....they instantly increase coolness by a minimum of 47.6%
    Hook 'Em Horns

You will see less pin movement when switching from a 6" dampener, to a stab that is designed to limit pin movement.

Not everyone will benifit from the same stab, you have to get what fits your preferences.

Which is why adjustability is a very important feature in a stab.

I recieved your PM, I will aswere it later this evening when I have more time, and we can get into deciding what will work for you.

JIM
    Quote Originally Posted by swintj1 View Post
    So would I be more accurate with a longer stabilizer on my Vectrix than the Hoyt 6", 8oz. one I have currently?

I have a problem with my pins floating more than I like, and I am looking for something to get that to stop, not to mention resist some premature flinching also.

Is it a given that if you go to a 26-30 inch stabilizer you will be more accurate?
    STABMAN.... Stabilizing the world one bow at a time.

My Posten definately helps me hold steadier.

As far as the coolness scale I was thinking 47.5% but maybe Hook is right????

"HONDA"

the increase in coolness factor of adding a long stabilizer is not measurable in any way.......ITS THAT COOL......
    I cut things up and split them down!

It absolutely limits pin movement...now if I can just get it to stop on the X instead of just below and to the right
    Hook 'Em Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    It absolutely limits pin movement...now if I can just get it to stop on the X instead of just below and to the right
    file it down on the upper left side.....

I am j/k please do not try this at home....
    Last edited by bullfiddle; 11-29-2007 at 05:27 PM.
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

LOL you cracked me up with them percentages. so random. why not just 22.0? has to be 22.6
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Banned

i like my 35" Beiter on my Protec Xt3000 and my Pro38XL

I think you found something out by watching. And you have drawn a correct conclusion. The one thing a long stabilizer does that a short one does not do is "STABILIZE". You are correct that these dinky things for hunting are mainly for noise reduction and vibrations dampening, and in some cases add mass weight for balance. But as far as being stabilizers they are next to worthless.

That being said, it's not very practical to hunt with a 30-40" stabilizer. About 12" is what I use. Besides, that's the longest that can be used for sanctioned 3D shoots in any Bowhunter class.

Quote Originally Posted by swintj1 View Post
    I was target shooting yesterday, and a group of archers came in and they pulled out their bows; Matthews Drenalin LD and a Hoyt Vectrix, and they had...30" stabilizers on them. They also had scopes and all the fancy stuff.

These guys shot the daylights out of these targets! They were begging the X's all night..I think they missed the X from 20 yards maybe 4 times out of probably 70 shots each.

My question is...why do all target archers use LONG stabilizers? DO they make the bow more steady for aiming, or do they just prevent the bow from jumping when it is shot? I'd love to know.

I think stabilizers like mine...the short 6 inch ones are just to reduce vibration correct? But the long ones are for stability when aiming?

Jim Posten, you can probably help me on this one...
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Werd View Post
    LOL you cracked me up with them percentages. so random. why not just 22.0? has to be 22.6
    The percentages are based on the Dredly scale of Coolness. The Posten does indeed approach the 47.6% scale however only if it is fully annodized and customized to match the rest of the bow, which must also be fully anodized.

Otherwise a Posten adds a mere 34.9% to the coolness factor. (+5% more if you have the weight kit)
    No I'm not dead

The percentages are based on the Dredly scale of Coolness. The Posten does indeed approach the 47.6% scale however only if it is fully annodized and customized to match the rest of the bow, which must also be fully anodized.

Otherwise a Posten adds a mere 34.9% to the coolness factor. (+5% more if you have the weight kit)
    Only 5% for the weight kit ?
    I was thinking more around 5.2%...

Ron

man, if thats true, my hole setup down to the clothes matches.........I AM EXPONENTIALLY COOLER than all of you!!!!
    I cut things up and split them down!