You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Site Guru

Default Long Draw Does Not Mean Long A2a!!!

Okay I shoot a 30" draw w/ a bent elbow. My true draw length is around 31"+ and I have shot bows at 31 1/2 inch DL straight arm.

With basically any release other then fingers YOU DO NOT (I REPEAT) YOU DO NOT NEED A 36+ inch A2A BOW FOR A 29"+ DRAW LENGTH!

(let me say it one more time)

YOU DO NOT NEED A 36+ inch A2A BOW FOR A 29"+ DRAW LENGTH!

As your draw length goes up the angle of the string becomes more severe and the peep moves further away from your eye. Shooting a 30" draw I was able to shoot down to a 31" bow before I started seeing this as an issue, and even then it was an issue that could easily be overcome w/ a larger diameter peep. I can shoot a 33 - 34" A2A bow just as comfortably as a 40" A2A bow.

For hunting there is NEVER a reason to go longer then 36" and that is hitting the very high end of what I would consider a "hunting" bow. Due to modern advancements such as Parallel limbs, vibration dampeners, STS's... etc the need for a longer bow to reduce shock and torque is no longer true. Very very few people need a bow that is 36"+ to shoot accurately in the woods, or even target/3d anymore.

The longer the bow the more likely you will bang it on a tree stand, dig it into the ground when kneeling, have issues with drawing while in a tree stand, and have difficulty carrying it and keeping it out of the bushes / trees.

If you personally like a very long A2A then that is fine, but please be sure to tell people that it is your OPINION that they need a longer bow as opposed to stating it like it is a fact, because it isn't.
    No I'm not dead

What was your point. J/K

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

I would like to see some of the pics of you shooting a 30" draw with a short a-a bow, I'll almost guarantee your form is jacked up in some way.

I am usually around 30-30.25" and will not shoot anything below 39" because I have to go thru contortions to get things to line up how I like it, but whatever floats your boat.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by archery freak View Post
    I would like to see some of the pics of you shooting a 30" draw with a short a-a bow, I'll almost guarantee your form is jacked up in some way.

I am usually around 30-30.25" and will not shoot anything below 39" because I have to go thru contortions to get things to line up how I like it, but whatever floats your boat.
    haha really? This is a 30" draw w/ d-loop on a 34" a2a (sorry I wasn't looking for form pics I was checking level of arrow at draw so no frontal shots)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    haha really? This is a 30" draw w/ d-loop on a 34" a2a (sorry I wasn't looking for form pics I was checking level of arrow at draw so no frontal shots)
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with your form -Southpaw and a Mathews - Looks great to me. Now, if you had a Hoyt or a wrong handed person, then I would say that everything was wrong.
    Mathews SwitchBack XT
    29"
    60# Draw
    Extreme RT900 w/additional pin
    Trophy Taker Rest

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=2124

Quote Originally Posted by bill10418 View Post
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with your form -Southpaw and a Mathews - Looks great to me. Now, if you had a Hoyt or a wrong handed person, then I would say that everything was wrong.
    I do! He's shooting with the wrong hand again!

Site Guru

haha yeah... not my fault most people shoot with the wrong hand and I have to show them how to do it correctly

and I'm sure I'll get some harassment for leaning back a bit but such is life
    No I'm not dead

haha yeah... not my fault most people shoot with the wrong hand and I have to show them how to do it correctly

and I'm sure I'll get some harassment for leaning back a bit but such is life
    At least us southpaws are the only people in our right minds!!!!
    Mathews SwitchBack XT
    29"
    60# Draw
    Trophy Taker Rest

Site Guru

At least us southpaws are the only people in our right minds!!!!
    Don't mind Jay Are... he shoots with the wrong hand AND he shoots hoyt
    No I'm not dead

you can make any draw fit, which it looks like you're doing based on where the fletchings are the nock has to be sitting close to your ear and you obviously don't use your nose as a reference. if it works for you so be it, but I would say you're not a 30" draw, probably closer to 29".

I wouldn't say it is absolutely necessary for a knuckle dragger to have a long axle to axle bow. I might venture to say that attaining a good comfortable 2 or 3 point anchor on the face might take a little more effort than on a longer A2A bow.

You look like you are really having to get your chin down to get your nose on the string. I have to do this more and more the shorter my bows get. It is far easier for me to relax at full draw with my Scepter 4 than my Firecat. Relaxation is super important.

If you really don't think it makes much of a difference, shoot a Bladerunner a few times. I sold the one I had in less than a week because the string angle was ridiculous.....

Mandatory???? Nope. I would consider it a personal preference for the experienced archer and a good recommendation for the beginner.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Site Guru

you can make any draw fit, which it looks like you're doing based on where the fletchings are the nock has to be sitting close to your ear and you obviously don't use your nose as a reference. if it works for you so be it, but I would say you're not a 30" draw, probably closer to 29".
    hehe never heard the "you are shooting to long of a DL" one before... maybe I should shoot righty also?
    No I'm not dead

hehe never heard the "you are shooting to long of a DL" one before... maybe I should shoot righty also?
    i'd love to see some pics with you shooting a 31" draw - I have 76" wingspan and I don't shoot that long.

Site Guru

i'd love to see some pics with you shooting a 31" draw - I have 76" wingspan and I don't shoot that long.
    that pic right there is of me shooting a 30" dl, notice the bend in the elbow?
    No I'm not dead

that pic right there is of me shooting a 30" dl, notice the bend in the elbow?
    yep, but i also notice the hand growing out of the back of your head too.

Site Guru

yep, but i also notice the hand growing out of the back of your head too.
    its a wrist release
    No I'm not dead

Don't mind Jay Are... he shoots with the wrong hand AND he shoots hoyt
    He shoots a Hoyt???????????
    Mathews SwitchBack XT
    29"
    60# Draw
    Trophy Taker Rest

its a wrist release
    but it is also a sign your draw is too long or your release is 6" long.

Site Guru

but it is also a sign your draw is too long or your release is 6" long.
    uhh 4 1/2 I think but I wear it up basically in the palm of my hand
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    I wouldn't say it is absolutely necessary for a knuckle dragger to have a long axle to axle bow. I might venture to say that attaining a good comfortable 2 or 3 point anchor on the face might take a little more effort than on a longer A2A bow.
    You look like you are really having to get your chin down to get your nose on the string. I have to do this more and more the shorter my bows get. It is far easier for me to relax at full draw with my Scepter 4 than my Firecat. Relaxation is super important.

If you really don't think it makes much of a difference, shoot a Bladerunner a few times. I sold the one I had in less than a week because the string angle was ridiculous.....

Mandatory???? Nope. I would consider it a personal preference for the experienced archer and a good recommendation for the beginner.

A2A may not make a difference but I can't agree more with what JC said. When I switched to the vectrix xl everything felt a lot more comfortable when at full draw. I didn't feel like I had to lean down to get to my anchor points and look through the peep. My DL is 30"

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor