You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Why be Normal bill10418's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    161

    Default Stalk or Tree Stand

    How many of ya'll stalk hunt vs. tree stand? And is a tree stand really hunting?
    Mathews SwitchBack XT
    29"
    60# Draw
    Extreme RT900 w/additional pin
    Trophy Taker Rest

    http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=2124

  2. #2
    Guest Gator eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In the horn of Michigan
    Posts
    7,185

    Default

    Why wouldn't tree stand hunting be real hunting??


    By the way I spend my time sitting in the trees....I am to clumsy to walk up on a deer.

  3. #3
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Tree Stand. I don't know anyone around here that stalk hunts w/ a bow. I've tried it on occasion but due to the woods the way they are its nearly impossible to stalk and the deer don't sit in one area much, unless you want to stalk into someones back yard and shoot them... that would work well
    No I'm not dead

  4. #4
    Senior Member tnts79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    I am sure stalking is possible, but where I hunt it's not an option. Some people try it though and I am glad they do, they just run me deer!!! Thank you retards!

    Stands or blinds for me usually no more than 20 ft. up
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

  5. #5
    Senior Member Cablegaurd21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    169

    Default

    32 degrees F. wind blowing 15mph from the north and I sit 8 hours in a tree waiting over a well beatin down trial for the buck of a lifetime to happen past...of coarse its HUNTING! I've tried to stalk but its harder than it looks.
    "We all must hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

  6. #6
    Why be Normal bill10418's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    161

    Default

    This is the way I look at it. In a tree stand, all you do is sit and wait for the shot. To me, that is not really hunting. When I stalk hunt, I read the weather as to where the animals might be, track the animals, look at rubbings and droppings, where they eat, etc... That puts you on an even keel with the animal. I have been successful on most of my hunts.
    Mathews SwitchBack XT
    29"
    60# Draw
    Extreme RT900 w/additional pin
    Trophy Taker Rest

    http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=2124

  7. #7
    Senior Member 'SIN'ERGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading PA
    Posts
    1,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bill10418 View Post
    This is the way I look at it. In a tree stand, all you do is sit and wait for the shot. To me, that is not really hunting. When I stalk hunt, I read the weather as to where the animals might be, track the animals, look at rubbings and droppings, where they eat, etc... That puts you on an even keel with the animal. I have been successful on most of my hunts.
    Huntin up here in Pa is a little different than the flats of Texas..It is next to impossible to stalk up on a whitetail that is usually bedded up in underbrush so thick they can here you comin from a mile away. I try it during gun season cause I can reach out a little further. Most of the woods up here are so full of underbrush it's hard to walk through much less stalk through
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

  8. #8
    Why be Normal bill10418's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "SIN"ERGY View Post
    Huntin up here in Pa is a little different than the flats of Texas..It is next to impossible to stalk up on a whitetail that is usually bedded up in underbrush so thick they can here you comin from a mile away. I try it during gun season cause I can reach out a little further. Most of the woods up here are so full of underbrush it's hard to walk through much less stalk through
    I was talking about doing this back home in Northern Maine. That is how I hunt up there. Down here in Texas, you better have a good long range rifle like a 308 or 30-06.
    Mathews SwitchBack XT
    29"
    60# Draw
    Extreme RT900 w/additional pin
    Trophy Taker Rest

    http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=2124

  9. #9
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bill10418 View Post
    I was talking about doing this back home in Northern Maine. That is how I hunt up there. Down here in Texas, you better have a good long range rifle like a 308 or 30-06.
    Wow... we should take you up to camp with us next year! We have 8 very experienced hunters, most of whom take multiple deer / year and we still have never shot a deer in Maine.

    even when tracking in snow we have never shot one. we see them on occasion but the idea of getting into bow range? hahahah.
    No I'm not dead

  10. #10
    Wheely Threads Wheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bill10418 View Post
    This is the way I look at it. In a tree stand, all you do is sit and wait for the shot. To me, that is not really hunting. When I stalk hunt, I read the weather as to where the animals might be, track the animals, look at rubbings and droppings, where they eat, etc... That puts you on an even keel with the animal. I have been successful on most of my hunts.
    I tried sneaking up on a deer once. There was no cover, but it was sitting just over a ledge so I was trying to just get closer. the wind was blowing towards me and I took my boots off so I could walk quietly and the dang thing still stood up and spotted me

    I would like to be a stalker, but I don't have the time to learn all that stuff.

  11. #11
    RIP Ronhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rock Island, IL
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    Tree stand and stalking but I never even came close to getting a deer stalking.
    I'm entertaining getting a ground blind for next year when everything goes on sale after this season is over...

    Ron

  12. #12
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    I tried sneaking up on a deer once. There was no cover, but it was sitting just over a ledge so I was trying to just get closer. the wind was blowing towards me and I took my boots off so I could walk quietly and the dang thing still stood up and spotted me

    I would like to be a stalker, but I don't have the time to learn all that stuff.
    hahaha try that out here! hahaha took your boots off? you'd lose 1/2 your toes in minutes

    I've gotten within 40 yards of a deer (once) and he was distracted by a tree rat. Deer are to smart around here
    No I'm not dead

  13. #13
    Super Member BuckeyeRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    I stand hunt all fall until the temps get real low and windy. Deer don't move much in that weather anyhow and walking becomes warmer. I do prefer to stand hunt over stalk hunting anyday. Way to many oak leaves, hidden sticks, and rose bushes to move thru the timer quietly. Of course stand hunting is hunting! People who claim otherwise are the same kind that think hunting w/ a firearm isn't hunting. Heck, bowhunting isn't really hunting when you think about it, you are using a projectile and all??? Real hunting would be jumping the animal and only using you Buck knife. Right??

  14. #14
    Why be Normal bill10418's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post
    I stand hunt all fall until the temps get real low and windy. Deer don't move much in that weather anyhow and walking becomes warmer. I do prefer to stand hunt over stalk hunting anyday. Way to many oak leaves, hidden sticks, and rose bushes to move thru the timer quietly. Of course stand hunting is hunting! People who claim otherwise are the same kind that think hunting w/ a firearm isn't hunting. Heck, bowhunting isn't really hunting when you think about it, you are using a projectile and all??? Real hunting would be jumping the animal and only using you Buck knife. Right??
    We are not talking Rambo Stuff here!!!!
    Mathews SwitchBack XT
    29"
    60# Draw
    Extreme RT900 w/additional pin
    Trophy Taker Rest

    http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=2124

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    25

    Default Stalking is okay during rut but otherwise it is not very productive

    I have done some stalking in the past but spent quite a bit of time doing it during rutt this year. I stalked my way into two shots this year on bucks well into the 180 class. These stalks were amazing. I had a blast doing it but it was because the big boys were on does and weren't traveling much so I went to them. I know it is fun but without a doe in heat to hold a buck there it is a waste of my time I would much rather be in a stand waiting for the deer to travel. I am not afraid to go to them but after gun season opens up here you might as well forget about trying to get anywhere near a deer on the ground they are just too spokey. I would imagine in areas where they have highpower seasons it is nearly impossible year around to get that close to a deer. In southwest Iowa where I live you can all but walk right up to some of the deer as long as it is in the off season and the guns have not yet started going off. I had two medium size does stand off about 50 yards from me early this year while I was putting up a stand and trimming the trees around it. Yes bos season was open and I could have shot them but the deer are so plentiful here and some of them near farms are nearly domesticated and will stand within fifty yards of you while you do things in thier area.

  16. #16
    Member OneMustFall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    796

    Default Duh

    every day this place reminds me of AT,i guess all forums have that AT persona floating around..........................
    2010 PSE AXE 7

  17. #17
    get'n rid of target panic STRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    Tree stand, usually 15-20 feet up. I use to stalk when I was younger, but not very successful, plus I think I just messed up the woods even more. Now I don't stalk and see more deer.
    .

    Carbon Matrix

    Certified NASP Instructor

  18. #18
    Diamond in the Rough clemenlp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Urbana, Ohio
    Posts
    453

    Default

    I normally look for area with natural cover or find a nice place on the side of a ridge or high rock. I don't exactly have the stomach for heights.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

    Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Cablegaurd21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
    every day this place reminds me of AT,i guess all forums have that AT persona floating around..........................
    Everyone keeps bringing up AT. What is it? Why is it so bad?
    "We all must hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

  20. #20
    Senior Member Werd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cablegaurd21 View Post
    Everyone keeps bringing up AT. What is it? Why is it so bad?
    Archery talk.com another archerysite, i dont know ive never got involved with it...and yea wheels. Fly out to PA right now and i want you to take your boots off and stalk one it was 13 degrees last night
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Similar Threads

  1. My first tree stand
    By thjacobi in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
  2. WTB tree stand harness
    By red man in forum WTB: Want to Buy Archery Items
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 01:37 AM
  3. tree stand
    By brandon45 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 04:25 AM
  4. Tree stand price?
    By Major257 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 03:24 AM
  5. Tree stand theft???
    By BUNNYMAN in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-24-2006, 11:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •