You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Any of you process your own deer?

I am big into processing my own deer. I live in southwest Iowa and I shoot around 8 deer a year. I used to take some of the meat to a locker to have it made into summer sausage and deer sticks. Now I have a grinder, mixer, stuffer, and two smokers. It is a blast to do. It is alot of work but what the hell. I have ground up 80 lbs of hamburger with 10-15% beef tallow added and made 30 lbs of breakfast sausage. I have 30 lbs of summer sausage in the smoker as we speak. My smokers are not charcoal brinkmans if you didn't guess that already. Anyway do any of you have any recipes that you really like for summer sausage. I have been using packaged stuff and I want to experiment some with the next batch. I have the high temp cheese and have been adding fresh jalepenos to the sausage. I also have both cure one and cure two so if your recipe calls for a meat cure I am set. Please I need something new to try. I would much rather make my own mix but not really sure where to start. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntinfordeer View Post
    I am big into processing my own deer. I live in southwest Iowa and I shoot around 8 deer a year. I used to take some of the meat to a locker to have it made into summer sausage and deer sticks. Now I have a grinder, mixer, stuffer, and two smokers. It is a blast to do. It is alot of work but what the hell. I have ground up 80 lbs of hamburger with 10-15% beef tallow added and made 30 lbs of breakfast sausage. I have 30 lbs of summer sausage in the smoker as we speak. My smokers are not charcoal brinkmans if you didn't guess that already. Anyway do any of you have any recipes that you really like for summer sausage. I have been using packaged stuff and I want to experiment some with the next batch. I have the high temp cheese and have been adding fresh jalepenos to the sausage. I also have both cure one and cure two so if your recipe calls for a meat cure I am set. Please I need something new to try. I would much rather make my own mix but not really sure where to start. Thanks

I use the mix for summer sausage that THE SAUSAGE MAKER sells. I know it's not home made but it is very very good...
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

I have wanted to get into making my own Deer sticks, sausage, bologna, Jerky and such, I live in Coggon Iowa. Maybe sometime I could make a trip down to where you are in Souther Iowa and see the process in person?
    "We all must hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

check the cabellas catalog...I've been using their stuff for years.

After being overcharged to process 2 deer I bought all the equiment for me to make my own susage. My first batch cam out very good. In the long run I would suggest to get the equiment you will save a ton of money doing it yourself. I spent around $400 dollars grinder /susgage stuffer /meat mixer/scale. My favorate is Breaded Backstraps and Italian susage and deer roast in the crockpot. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Im getting hungry now.

Shooting Edge Technology 09Dreamseason's Avatar

I only mix a 50/50 Pork Trim or "Fresh Side" Bacon to my Breakfast Sausage. You really don't need much tenderizer of any kind for sausage with the Fresh Side Bacon. I do a 3:1 mix, or 33% Fresh Side Bacon. I make my own Italian Sausage with the 50/50 Pork Trim, Fennel Seed, and Italian Seasoning. Make some "Hot" Italian Sausage by adding Ground Red Pepper or Red Pepper Flakes/Seeds. Add a little at a time until you find the right amount for your taste. The Fennel Seed is the key to Italian Sausage. You can smell what I'm talking about as soon as you open the container! The Deer Italian Sausage I make is cooked ground and used in my wife's Spaghetti and Lasagna sauce!
    '09 PSE X-Force Dream Season GX
    '11 PSE X-Force AXE 7

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
    www.SaveOutdoorSports.com

if its meat ill eat lol