You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Is Scent Lok Gear Necessary?

This is my second post on 3D. My first post got me some realy good feedback so I thought I would post this question as well. Is Scent Lok gear really necessary? I'm going to start Bow Hunting Dec 26th. All the shows on The Outdoor Channel promote Scent Lok products as a MUST to be successfull. I've checked into the products and man do those prices blow me away. I scrape together every penny I can to just purchase regular hunting equipment and really can't afford the price of Scent Lok products. I'm also thinking....Scent Lok wasn't around till recently and man has been hunting successfully for years without it so what's the deal?? Do I really need it or not?

Is most everything used now days Really necessary??

If you know how to hunt without it, which means you have more skill, than I don't think it is necessary

Just learn to hunt the wind and you'll be fine. You can also use the scent killer sprays and keep your hunting close in a sealed container..
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

People have been hunting for thousands of years without it...so...I beleive it is not neccesssary...

AH, the great debate. I started wearing it last year and I did notice a difference in how many deer I saw. However, I also payed more attention to all my clothing being as scent free as possible and making sure I took a scent free shower also. I put all my clothes in scent free bags and washed them after every few hunts. So I couldn't really tell you if it was the scent blocker or me just being more careful about everything. Hope that helps you.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
    AH, the great debate. I started wearing it last year and I did notice a difference in how many deer I saw. However, I also payed more attention to all my clothing being as scent free as possible and making sure I took a scent free shower also. I put all my clothes in scent free bags and washed them after every few hunts. So I couldn't really tell you if it was the scent blocker or me just being more careful about everything. Hope that helps you.
    Good answer Wheat and Barley....But the question is were you hunting the wind and what direction were the deer coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
    I can't argue...scent control does help...
    But I find if you put the time into your scouting, stand locations, and hunt the wind...it is not as neccessary as the manufacturer would like you to beleive...
    I can remember when I was younger, setting up in a brush pile as a blind...wearing an old army Camo feild coat, and smoking a cigarette ...saw quite a few deer then, and still do...with the exception of this season

NO. Folger's and Marlboro brings them right in.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
    Good answer Wheat and Barley....But the question is were you hunting the wind and what direction were the deer coming from?
    I try to hunt the wind but I have had deer come from every direction. Although, I just got busted Saturday by another wallhanger. He was 100 yards away from me and spooked. He did not see me so my only guess was that he winded me. I swear there was no breeze until he came in and he was directly downwind. I could follow the snowflakes from me to him. This was the first time that I am AWARE of that I got busted by scent this year. Might have been busted before just wasn't aware of it. It makes you wonder how many deer might have winded you from a distance that you never see.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

I don't have any scent control clothing myself...
    I'm just aware of what I use to wash camo in and pay attention to prevailing winds when putting out stands. I also use a solution of baking soda and distilled water and apray my clothes and boots with it. The reason I use distilled water is because you can get more baking soda to dissolve is distilled water than tap water because tap water (at least around here) already has a lot of dissolved minerals in it.

Ron

Site Guru

No its a gimmick. Smart scent control is much more important then scent lock. scent Killer works better as the odors on your outer layer are more likely to be picked up then your human scent.

that being said I use Dead Down Wind body wash and deodorant. I wash all my hunting clothing in scent free detergent and store in a scent-free bag. I also carry Scent Eliminator spray and use it every trip into the woods and a few times while in the stand. I very rarely get scented.

btw - anyone actually read the tag on Scent Blocker clothing? it only works for like 2 years or something like that, then you are supposed to replace it.

Does anyone know how that civil suit ever played out? Was it proven that the stuff doesn't work as advertised?
    No I'm not dead

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

I have to agree with others....try to use the wind in your favor.As far as scent control products....i only believe/have faith in 2.One is a anti/soap and the other is fresh earth scent spray.....other than that,i keep all my hunting clothes,day pac hanging out side "under roof" at all times....and i shower in the morning with the anti/bac soap before getting dressed to go.What a person believes work is his bussiness...but there's a lot of stuff on the market where the maker and retailers have their hand out to take your money and put it in their bank.jmo
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    No its a gimmick. Smart scent control is much more important then scent lock. scent Killer works better as the odors on your outer layer are more likely to be picked up then your human scent.
    that being said I use Dead Down Wind body wash and deodorant. I wash all my hunting clothing in scent free detergent and store in a scent-free bag. I also carry Scent Eliminator spray and use it every trip into the woods and a few times while in the stand. I very rarely get scented.

btw - anyone actually read the tag on Scent Blocker clothing? it only works for like 2 years or something like that, then you are supposed to replace it.

Does anyone know how that civil suit ever played out? Was it proven that the stuff doesn't work as advertised?

and you know with all the deer you have killed........
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    and you know with all the deer you have killed........
    we don't all go hunting to fill our tags every year skippy
    No I'm not dead

I bought it last year but I don't think works because if it did when you fart you won't be able to smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by hduc2005 View Post
    I bought it last year but I don't think works because if it did when you fart you won't be able to smell it.
    Point well taken....

Quote Originally Posted by hduc2005 View Post
    funny you should mention this........

My boss tried this, to see how the stuff worked and he swears by the stuff now......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru
    No I'm not dead

As long as you play the wind correctly that is more important than Scent-Loc. I have killed several deer after leaving work slipping into a pair of coveralls without scentloc or any other scent control products.

"HONDA"

absolutely not necessary. If you extremely careful about your scent and play the wind you will be just as if not more successful.

rick
    No catchy signature here.....