You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: target distance

Question target distance

Hi,
    I operate a archery range,and sometimes I get complaints about shots being to far.Please advise what is good,and competeive distances for all divisions.
    Thanks
    nlar

At our club we limit shots to:
    top gun-50-55 yds max
    open (bowhunter)40yds max
    traditional/women 35 yds max
    youth/cub 15-20yds max (depending on whats behind the target)
    Although for one of our bonus shots we do have an elk set at somewhere between 60-100 yds depending on my mood that day
    I cut things up and split them down!

This is just my opinion. Use your classes properly. Meaning set target distances appropriate for each class.

Also, make the distances proportionate with the size of the target. If you are going to set a 47yard target do not make it a raccoon. Use larger targets for the longer shots.

But don't make it too easy on them either. Mix it up a bit, especially for the comp shooters. If all they do is shoot 40-45 yards all day, they will get bored. Through in some closer shots as well. Make them think a bit about yardage.

Just My Opinion.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

What Chris said about mixing it up is great, two of the coolest things I ever seen was at a local 3d shoot they made you sit inside a blind and shoot at one of those coca cola bears and it was no more than five feet from the front of the blind thought that was great. Then on one of the other sights they set up the open shot on a racoon inside the base of a tree stump at about two and a half feet. Looked like a blast would hate to have to pull those arrows though
    I cut things up and split them down!

if you follow the IBO guide lines for distance and classes you'll save your self alot of greif. i would suggest you make the bowhunter class a little bit on the easy side because 90% of your shooters will be in this class and you want them to come back to keep your money rolling in. if they find it to easy for them then they can move up to the MBR class and have more of a challange. or even the open class and have it be even more of a challange. but for the avarage bowhunter he doesn't want to be loosing his arrows and missing targets so keep it easy and he'll be back to spend more money at your shoots........just my 2cents

I was at a shoot this weekend .... one station had a 40yrd small bear and a 20 yrd small bear .... I enjoyed it ...made me think about distance as I dont see that target very often.

I prefer a challanging course but not a stupid course .... a 35-40yrd shot on a small target is max in My opinion as long as the target is lit pretty well.

I missed one target this weekend .... it was a bedded stone sheep in a fairly dark corner on 3 hay bales (about 5' off the ground) with trees right behind it ... the back wall was also thick with trees ..... the back wall was 42 yrds away ...the sheep looked like it was on the back wall directly infront of the trees.... Nope 6yrds Off the wall ..... Both me and the guy I was shooting with made the same mistake ... we drew at the same time ...we released a split second apart ...and we heard the thud/ thud of 2 arrows hitting OSB at a split second apart .........

I retrived the 2 arrows and they were figure 8..... seems alot of people made that mistake .... Like I said ...the course made me think ...I loved it

You dont get any better on a course that is easy,But if its to hard people loose interest. I like the tough ones that make you think and think and think more, i am mostly a hunter, and i do the 3d cause i want to be a good hunter, and be able to make a fairly fast KILL shot the first time, and i LOVE to shoot, i also am very competitve and shoot to win. I like the ones across vallys, and up and down steep angles the most, we have a few 3/8 thick steel plate tagets also, cut out like animals, only the vitals are cut out, with foam block behind it. LOL you can here it all day long on the whole range!!! Like a dinner bell.... ding ding ding. the bad part of this is, 90% of the people who miss the hole and smash an arrow, can shoot a paper spot the same size 20 times and not miss it, they just get all flusterd about missing and crunching an arrow!! We do some other fun crazy things here too, on spot leage night, we have a small break at half time, and hang up a flywheel painted bright orange, if you want to shoot you can, if it goes in the hole you get a bag of m&ms, lol if you dont you get a smashed arrow, I watch guys shoot 300s with 50+ xs that miss. Anouther fun thing we did was got a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe that was curved to a 90, and put a bail sideways, so you would shoot into the pipe arrow would make the bend, then go into the bail, the closest one to the center of the taget on the bail got a free shooting pass. of course you were going to ruin the arrow for sure, so i always brought a few old ratty ones i didnt care about, it was so funny, their were a few of the guys shooting 50 or 55 bls whith the big fat 2512 size arrows, they got stuck in the tube, we were having a good time, then i got up with my hunting set up, hoyt razortec, 72 lbs with acc 339 27 long, and it didnt go around the bend either, it went right though the back of the tube, so we got a steel pipe now, its all for fun!! just remeber if people have FUN they will come back!!!

Default long shot

Alot of people who dislike long shot maybe the ones missing and lossing arrows. If they don't loss those arrows they may like the shoot better. Just mix it up. Top shooters 50 yds. max, the bowhunter 35yds. max, kids 15-20yrds. max. We want people to shoot and the first timers, 35 yrds is a long shot!!!!!

Default target distance

also, what might help is find out what kind of tournaments guys are shooting in the area. Either ASA or IBO or what ever. Setting up rules and target distance by the associations will get more people to show up for your shoots. They will use it for practicing for the big shoots. also, down the road think of possibly getting a state qualifying shoot at your club. Will bring more people in the door. Just a thought. good luck!!!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Default range?

I am a decent shooter, but at 20 yards I am magnificent! I shot a range a couple of weeks ago and they diddnt have a shot over 30 yards. It was a blast. I thought it wouldnt be worth shootin (Too Easy) But after the previous weeks awfull scoring shoot (everything 30-55 yards). it was a nice switch. After spending a weekend on a long coarse and losing arrows and really challenging yourself. it is nice to have some change. it can also be just as challanging to get back to basics and shoot throught the sticks at 20-25 yards.

I would say mix it up, stick to 45yards or less, and give the short shots some charracter. I like the challang of shooting through an obstacle or at a moving target. it takes you out of your elliment and keeps things fresh.