You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default New Hunter! Need Help!

I'm new to the compound bow hunting and I have alot of questions. First of all, if i'm using a bow with a 29in draw, How long should my arrows be? What kind of arrows should I use? What kind of broadheads are good? What grain? I've already made my mind up on a PSE Stinger for my bow. Whats the best target for a bow that shoots 300fps? Is the arrow removal easy? As you can see, I'm a little lost so anything will help! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CJW View Post
    I'm new to the compound bow hunting and I have alot of questions. First of all, if i'm using a bow with a 29in draw, How long should my arrows be? What kind of arrows should I use? What kind of broadheads are good? What grain? I've already made my mind up on a PSE Stinger for my bow. Whats the best target for a bow that shoots 300fps? Is the arrow removal easy? As you can see, I'm a little lost so anything will help! Thanks!
    to the forum.

To cut my arrows I come to full draw and have a friend mark the arrow about 1/2 inch past the rest. I would recommend using carbon arrows and you'll need to know the draw weight of the bow to select the proper spine. I personally like Wasp four blade broadheads, but there are alot of good ones on the market. I use 100 grain. There are alot of different targets. A bag target would be cheapest but can only be used with fieldpoints. Morrell makes good targets. Look at the Yellowjacket line. arrow removal is generally easy but some 3D targets can latch on pretty good. good luck!

Welcome...
    Like he said...
    Morrel is a good target, I like Muzzy 3 blade broadheads...

Here is another vote for carbon arrow and muzzy 3 blades.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    to the forum.

To cut my arrows I come to full draw and have a friend mark the arrow about 1/2 inch past the rest. I would recommend using carbon arrows and you'll need to know the draw weight of the bow to select the proper spine. I personally like Wasp four blade broadheads, but there are alot of good ones on the market. I use 100 grain. There are alot of different targets. A bag target would be cheapest but can only be used with fieldpoints. Morrell makes good targets. Look at the Yellowjacket line. arrow removal is generally easy but some 3D targets can latch on pretty good. good luck!
    Like he said .But I prefer the Slick Trick Broadhead myself. I"ve got the Slick Trick Magnum 100gr. 1 1/8 Blade and it flies great for me.

Plus welcome to the site.....

Broadhead, if you want to shoot a mechanical try either the Eastman Firstcut ST3 or Rage. Fixed blades Muzzy, Slick Tricks, Thunderhead.

Target, if you want to shoot both field point and broadhead. Get a layered target like the Block or Black Hole.

I would also recommend carbon arrows. A good starting point for tip grain weight is 100 grains. Make sure you get the same weight field points as broadheads.

Good luck, it may take trial and error to get the perfect setup. Not every setup works great in every bow.
    Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
    Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing

Default Good Info.

I agree with everything, I have a yellow jacket target-awesome! Carbon arrows, fixed blade broadhead will take some tuning but thats good for a new hunter to go through, you will learn a lot. You have been given some good info., now what are you going to do with it??? Welcome to the forum!
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

I appreciate the help guys. Thanks!!

I think I want Carbon Express arrows, Crimson Talon Broadheads, With a block target. Good or Bad choice?

ur not going to get 300 fps
    Parker Hornet 28" 70#
    easton epic 400gr. RAGE 2 blade

Well 285 Ibo or A mo, Whatever?

Default lol carbon

My suggestion is for you to use 2216 aluminum arrows. You will get MORE penetration into the animal due to the increased kinetic energy. Its not the SPEED that kills the animal. I have a PSE Stinger and I can shoot just as flat as anyone with carbons and get 5X more penetration. Aluminum is also alot more durable then carbon and less expensive.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Don't get too caught up in KE unless you're hunting something bigger than whitetail. About any modern compound pulling 50# or more is going to have an excess of KE. I wouldn't get too concerned about hitting 300fps. At hunting distances it won't make that much of a difference, especially if you get yourself a range finder and shoot the area you're hunting ahead of time - which I highly recommend!
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    My suggestion is for you to use 2216 aluminum arrows. You will get MORE penetration into the animal due to the increased kinetic energy. Its not the SPEED that kills the animal. I have a PSE Stinger and I can shoot just as flat as anyone with carbons and get 5X more penetration. Aluminum is also alot more durable then carbon and less expensive.
    Dude what you been smokin??

Nice try though.

"HONDA"

I think speed will be a big factor when selecting your broad head. It was for me anyway. I shoot a fred bear That has a 29 in. draw,
    65#, 394gr. arrow,4 in. fleching, easton st epics 400 spine and shoots 250 fps. I shoot muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. heads with this set up and they fly like field points all the way out to 40 yrds.
    Now on the other hand I also shoot an Elite gto with the same arrow and broad head, at 70#, 29in. draw, 331fps, with this setup im only consistant to 20 yrds.. arrows fly a little eratic past 20 yrds. OK, shooting this setup with rage two blade 100 gr. there flying like field points out to 60 yrds.
    I can only figure that the speed is affecting the way the broad head flys.
    Please If I am wrong someone correct me.
    I know this may not be a lot of help but if nothing else I would try some fixed heads and some of the mechs. such as rage 2 blade.
    and always shoot carbons. good luck and get ready to spend some money.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    Energy is SPEED times MASS. If you decrease mass and increase speed, you get about the same energy if your changes were perportional.

Phillip, the extra speed and draw weight of the gto may cause the fixed blades to plane and cause poor performance. It may also be something on the bow isn't exactly perfect so the fixed blade accentuates the problem. Or I could just be blow'n smoke. Just an idea to look at.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Sounds like you have a great set-up. Good luck and happy shooting.
    I use GT Hunters with 2in blazers and rage 3 blade for Turkeys and deer.Shoots great and my bow hit the crono at 265-270.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    Energy is SPEED times MASS. If you decrease mass and increase speed, you get about the same energy if your changes were perportional.

Phillip, the extra speed and draw weight of the gto may cause the fixed blades to plane and cause poor performance. It may also be something on the bow isn't exactly perfect so the fixed blade accentuates the problem. Or I could just be blow'n smoke. Just an idea to look at.
    Hey thats a good point.
    Im glad i rang in on this thread, you've gave me something to think about and im going to check everything again on the gto. You just might be right.

I suggest going to an arrow manufacturer's web page, Easton or Carbon Express for instance, and explore it. Plug in your bows specs and their formula will tell you what shaft to select. If I'm near the top of an arrow spine rating, I step up. I hunt with Atom razor wire broadheads. They are the only broadhead that guarentees the exact same impact point as target tips or your money back. No more retuning for hunting tips for me. I've killed three deer with them with fair to heavy blood trails and no more than 100 yard travel distance. I've also enjoyed learning to finish my own arrows and tune my own bow. There's a wealth of information on the internet and in books. It only took me a few weeks after gathering needed tools and equipment to start doing most of my own bow work and arrow finishing. Of course, you'll find lots of help here too. Have fun, I do.

I think I want Carbon Express arrows, Crimson Talon Broadheads, With a block target. Good or Bad choice?
    All sound like good choices to me. Although I shoot X-Weave arrows, Muzzy Broadheads and a bag target for FP's and a cheapy Wal-Mart special for BH's.

Oh and my info on KE is this:

390gr Carbon Force X-Weave at 276fps=66# of KE
    625gr Easton XX78 2219 at 225fps=70# of KE

So I have lost 51fps and gained 4 pounds of KE. I think I'll take the 51fps. But thats just me.

By the way to figure your KE take: Speed X Speed X Arrow Weight then divide by 450240 that is your Kenetic Energy.

"HONDA"