You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Hidden Insert Technology

I'm thinking of moving away from gold tip in 08. I am uncomfortable with the H.I.T. design that Easton is using. Should I be or no? How do you feel about it? Primarily 3D and Hunting.

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Banned

Im not sure about them either. There point is better broad head alignment,possibly? Less protection to the tip of shaft for better head alignment? if your using fixed blade heads and willing to accept slightly less shaft durability potential? they might be worth a try. I dont think they will do much for field points or mechanicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Draw View Post
    Im not sure about them either. There point is better broad head alignment,possibly? Less protection to the tip of shaft for better head alignment? if your using fixed blade heads and willing to accept slightly less shaft durability potential? they might be worth a try. I dont think they will do much for field points or mechanicals.
    I have read where you have to install them at different depths for different heads. I don't want that head ache!

Ben

FBSA Member

beenfarr.........

give CX Maximas a try.......YOU will NOT be disapointed.......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Or Victory.
    www.livingstongunclub.org
    www.jimposten.com for the finest stabilizers in the world
    www.meanvarchery.com Custom String Suppression for that shot of a lifetime
    Add some custom bling with a www.slingbraid.com

My wife picked up a half dozen at a garage sale last summer. I put the inserts in according to the instructions that came with them. There was no reference to what tips I would be using?
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

I shot the easton Axis this summer for 3D and I hunted with them this fall... I didn't have any trouble with them. But I honestly couldn't tell any difference as far as my broadheads aligning any better?...
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Why are you going away from the gold tips? I started using them last year and I have shot 8 deer with them last year and this year and I am very happy with them. As long as get a pass through I get to keep using that arrow. They seem very durable to me and I am happy with them.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

For 3d they may weigh more than you want. To hunt with I like the weight and the slim profile. At least in theory they should be less affected by a crosswind. I've been using axis and black max for a few years without any issues with the tip strenth. I also have been using Maximas, exellent shaft from what I can tell.
    The only heads I had issue with was the 100 grain Rocket steelheads. Short threaded shank only got one-two turns in. From a few years ago, so I don't know if they ever addressed the thread lenth. I went to 125's which were better. No problems with any other heads I've tried, and there's been a few.
    Last edited by red44; 12-15-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    I have read where you have to install them at different depths for different heads. I don't want that head ache!

Ben
    Ben, what you read is not true. That was somebody talking out of their butt... That's like saying you need to use different insert lengths (as opposed to diameters) for different heads with run-of-the-mill carbon and aluminum arrows...

You use a nifty plastic tool they provide you in the package to place the inserts at the right depth in the shaft. It's very simple to install the inserts after the shafts have been cut to length. If you cannot install HIT inserts with the instructions and tools Easton provides you in the package with the shafts you should not have a bow in your hand.

I've been using Axis arrows for over 2 years and they are one tough customer. I use them for hunting and 3D. For 3D it might make more sense to use a fatter arrow for scoring purposes but I use 3D weekends to sharpen my skills for hunting and could care less about my 'score'.

I hope that clears some things up.

Ron

Banned

gold tip hunter shafts 5575 or 7595 are about a good as anything else, for hunting..... as far as big barrel target shafts, why would someone buy grossly over spined shafts when more correctly spine big dia. shafts are available from other manufacturers?

i have shot goldtips for years and when the axis arrows first came out i got a dozen of them
    Ten times better then ANYarrow i have ever shot more pass troughs if you hit something like plastic it comes out alot easier
    I would give them a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10
    10 for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
    Why are you going away from the gold tips? I started using them last year and I have shot 8 deer with them last year and this year and I am very happy with them. As long as get a pass through I get to keep using that arrow. They seem very durable to me and I am happy with them.
    The Last dozen I bought the shaft's were a little big (diameter). I called gold tip and told them that the inserts fit very loose, and they said "wow, we have never heard of that before", then they sent me over sized inserts and nocks? But they were still loose. I keep loosing inserts on these suckers. I like the shafts, just don't want to be stuck with another dozen shoddy shafts.

Ben

FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Ben, what you read is not true. That was somebody talking out of their butt... That's like saying you need to use different insert lengths (as opposed to diameters) for different heads with run-of-the-mill carbon and aluminum arrows...

You use a nifty plastic tool they provide you in the package to place the inserts at the right depth in the shaft. It's very simple to install the inserts after the shafts have been cut to length. If you cannot install HIT inserts with the instructions and tools Easton provides you in the package with the shafts you should not have a bow in your hand.

I've been using Axis arrows for over 2 years and they are one tough customer. I use them for hunting and 3D. For 3D it might make more sense to use a fatter arrow for scoring purposes but I use 3D weekends to sharpen my skills for hunting and could care less about my 'score'.

I hope that clears some things up.

Ron
    Cool, that eases my mind a bit.

Ben

FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    Cool, that eases my mind a bit.

Ben
    Somebody did mention that they are over-spined... This is true with respect to the Easton arrow selection chart. The chart says I should use 340's but I use 400's because of the spine issue. I took the advice of a pro shop that has been to Easton's 'school' and the 400's for my 68# 29" draw were the ticket. I also use the bulge field points from Saunders to protect the end of the shafts. With broadheads it's not an issue since the furrule completely protects the shaft end.

In the time I have used Axis arrows the only time I have damaged a shaft is when I made a gross error in judgement and have an arrow hit something very hard like concrete or steel. I don't care what kind of arrow you have, you're going to have damage issues in those situations...

Good luck Ben and have a nice holiday season.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Somebody did mention that they are over-spined... This is true with respect to the Easton arrow selection chart. The chart says I should use 340's but I use 400's because of the spine issue. I took the advice of a pro shop that has been to Easton's 'school' and the 400's for my 68# 29" draw were the ticket. I also use the bulge field points from Saunders to protect the end of the shafts. With broadheads it's not an issue since the furrule completely protects the shaft end.

In the time I have used Axis arrows the only time I have damaged a shaft is when I made a gross error in judgement and have an arrow hit something very hard like concrete or steel. I don't care what kind of arrow you have, you're going to have damage issues in those situations...

Good luck Ben and have a nice holiday season.

Ron
    Thanks Bud, you too.

Ben

FBSA Member

They come with a tool to put the insert at the correct depth, it does not say anything about which head you are using.

I have used HIT for three years now and really like them,, the only problem I had with them was when shooting certain expandables (rocket miniblaster) when the head fully opened the back of the blades would dig into the arrow where the insert would normally be. I now use Grim Reaper and do not have that problem because of their construction.
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER