You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default compound bow basics

Hi all,

I'm coming back to archery, from about 20 yrs of not shooting. My dad taught me to shoot a recurve as a teenager, with a bow he got from service in the Marine Corps. All I remember about archery back then was the bow, the arrows, and the target.

Now, I look at target compound bow shooting, and read about Peep sights, whiskers, biskets, stabilizers...??? man, is it confusing!!!

Based on my size (5'7", 67" arm span), I bought myself a decent Browning Micro Midas combo set (40#). It comes with a Glo sight, Posse arrow rest, and some micro bullet arrows. I'm predicting that I'll be upgrading the sight and rest, as well as adding other accessories.

Questions I have for you guys:

1. Based on my 26" draw length, how long should my arrows be?
    2. What is a basic "list" of accessories for my bow, ie. sights, rests, silencers, stabilizers, etc..??? Can you explain what all these things are? I am a gadget freak, and I am really interested in high-tech stuff!
    3. I am only target shooting... do I need all of these accessories?
    4. Is there a websight I can go to, that explains all the details of compound bows?
    5. I've never shot with a release. Should I consider it?
    6. Can I just go to a website that can sell me a basic target arrow with field tips, without having to specify all the details?
    7. Hows does one adjust the draw weight? Draw length? Any special tools needed?

Thanks!!!

Wayshwing

to 3DShoots!

Click the link, and then read the technical articles. There's a lot of great info there.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/

Default I'm no expert...

I'm no expert.. but here we go...

Take an arrow and draw your bow with it nocked, have someone mark the arorw an inch or so in front of the rest. This is how long your arrows should be. With a 26" draw, I would guess that they'd be in the 27" range.

Needed...
    Sight - What you aim with.
    Rest - What the arrow sits on.

Highly Suggested...
    Peep Sight - A small plastic ring that goes IN the string and allows you to look through the string to your sight. The idea is that you are looking through the same point everytime you draw your bow.

Stabilizer - Reduces shock and recoil and helps to keep the bow from "jumpiing" in your hand after you release.

String Loop - A small rope loop on your string that your release attaches to. Saves wear on your string and helps to forgive any hand torque.

Release - Wrist or handheld device that allows you to shoot the bow by pulling a trigger.

For target shooting, all of these are good ideas, but not necessary. The only thing that you really do not need with target shooting is the sound eliminating devices (String Leeches, etc)

As for a release... It is generally accepted that they are better, easier and more accurate. Plus they are not THAT expensive.

Hope that helps some!

Quote Originally Posted by wayshwing View Post
    1. Based on my 26" draw length, how long should my arrows be?
    2. What is a basic "list" of accessories for my bow, ie. sights, rests, silencers, stabilizers, etc..??? Can you explain what all these things are? I am a gadget freak, and I am really interested in high-tech stuff!
    3. I am only target shooting... do I need all of these accessories?
    4. Is there a websight I can go to, that explains all the details of compound bows?
    5. I've never shot with a release. Should I consider it?
    6. Can I just go to a website that can sell me a basic target arrow with field tips, without having to specify all the details?
    7. Hows does one adjust the draw weight? Draw length? Any special tools needed?
    Hello an Welcome...
    The Browning is a great little bow and you should have a blast with it...

As for your questions...

1.Your arrow should roughly be 1/2" - 1" past your rest at full draw...you can draw the bow and have someone take a rough measurement...
    2. & 3. You can start slow You have a rest and sight on the bow so all you need is a target...
    If you go with a bag target it will last almost forever with feildpoints...
    4. What are you looking for? tuning tips...Apple archery has some good articles...I'll look around and see what I can find
    5.I like a release...You can buy an inexpensive one and decide for yourself...
    6.You can order arrows from the online store here...even call Chris and tell him about your setup and he can sell you what you need...
    7.With the browning you don't need any special tools to work on it...all you need to know is in the owners manual if you don't have the manual you can email Browning and get one...

Keep us posted...and ask all the questions you need to...