You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Addicted to Trajectory

Default I have a Bear Wheel-Compound Bow...

Its in excellent condition. I had chrono'd at 200 FPS at 55 pounds. It was recently tuned. The guy who tuned it [without aiming it out for me] really hates it. First he said it'd be lucky to hit 150FPS "if that". Well it beat that in spades. Then he sais you want to shoot this bow with both eyes open and dont expect accuracy beyond 25 yards.

Folks this baby is literlaly in MINT condition. OK, its not top of the line, but its in excellent working order. I looked at the bow string and rest - they literally go right down the CENTER of the bow - smack dab.

The guys trying like hell to sell me a new compound bow. Its outta my budget right now. Realitically - what can a guy expect from a good condition wheely with decent sights, peep sight and rest?

Frankly this guy reeks of over agressive, if not desperate , sales commision needs.

Ive got to believe the bow itself in good hands is way capable of beyond 25 yards and no instinctive shooting. Anyone want to voice in here?

Im not new to archery but I bought this for he purpose of taking it seriously and becoming a proficient shot. What could a GOOD shooter expect here?
    I ask because it s what i want to atleast strive to be.

thanks guys!!

Pete

Site Guru

What kind of Bear is it? My dad and uncles shot Bear bows for years, countless deer have been harvested with them. They will shoot good and if all you are looking for is non-comp shooting they will work wonders for you.

If you don't have the money then don't buy another bow. if you have some cash laying around buy used! you can get good condition 3 - 4 year old bows for 200 - 250 and they were top of the line just a few years ago.
    No I'm not dead

Banned

dude, what model and vintage...sounds like an antique to me? How much is out of your budget?

Default !

Hey man if people kill deer with a recurve then you gotta speed deamon in comparison,i would find another proshop pronto,.............
    Put a sight on it and start at 20yds on out and see what she'll do,i bet it will work just fine,nothing worse than a tech trying to sell you a bow rather than helping you out..............anyway good luck and plenty of good people here..............
    2010 PSE AXE 7

That is bad. I think the tech should take no for an answer and then do his best to get every fps out of it for you.
    I would say 100 to 175 depending on how it is set up.
    If you like the bow and you shoot it well use it.
    Indoor spots is more and form not speed. I shoot with a guy.
    He uses a Hoyt with wheel cams set at 50 pounds. His arrow weight a ton. You can watch then arch when he shoots. He shoots high 290s.
    My oldest girl shoot 3D with a old Bear whitetail. She did ok with it. I know it was not fast.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

O yes
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Not knowing the model of the bow I can only say that the speed you're getting (200fps) was pretty much the norm back in the mid to late 70's from a hunting outfit. Funny, but some don't know and some may have forgotten, but these bows were capable of killing deer back then. I wouldn't see as where there's be much difference now.

Even then they were about 15% faster than most recurves of the time. Compared to modern compounds they aren't barn burners, but if it's all you can afford then learn to shoot it well and it'll get the job done. The main handicap you'll face is more arch in the archery. You just may need more pins than with a 275 fps bow, that's all. Point is, if you learn good, repeatable form you should do well.

If and when the day appears that you can afford to upgrade that good shooting form can transfer right into a new outfit. For now, just have fun.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Not knowing the model of the bow I can only say that the speed you're getting (200fps) was pretty much the norm back in the mid to late 70's from a hunting outfit. Funny, but some don't know and some may have forgotten, but these bows were capable of killing deer back then. I wouldn't see as where there's be much difference now.

Even then they were about 15% faster than most recurves of the time. Compared to modern compounds they aren't barn burners, but if it's all you can afford then learn to shoot it well and it'll get the job done. The main handicap you'll face is more arch in the archery. You just may need more pins than with a 275 fps bow, that's all. Point is, if you learn good, repeatable form you should do well.

If and when the day appears that you can afford to upgrade that good shooting form can transfer right into a new outfit. For now, just have fun.
    That's all good advice.

Get the bow shooting well with good arrow flight. Be sure you have an arrow that's spined correctly for your bow draw weight, let-off, brace height, arrow length, pont weight, etc...

Using a slower bow, particularly for target, helps you a bit in follow-through and accompanying form since it takes longer for the arrow to reach it's target. You tend to be more patient, which is good.

Good luck...

Ron

Addicted to Trajectory

Default ...

Thanks for all the great advice....

Its a BEAR BRUIN.

Again, not even a scrape.

Can i get 5" groups at 50 yards with this or am i on crack? Mechanical release to be sure, peep. I ask because Im looking for a goal. Whats the point of placing a pie plate at 50 yards if the bow will never do it anyway?

Pete

PS: Yes i know most shots are 25-40 yards - i love target ranges at 50 yards. For giggles - 80.

Pete

Banned

s#*t...that bow is older than Ted Nugents 1st groupie. If you have any real interest in shooting...Get a new bow.

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long Draw View Post
    s#*t...that bow is older than Ted Nugents 1st groupie. If you have any real interest in shooting...Get a new bow.
    A new member asked for help/advise.....he plainly said that money was tight and this was the best he could do for now......your starting to frost some of our _____'s here latey with your smart a$$ remarks.jmo
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

Quote Originally Posted by Petewp View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice....

Its a BEAR BRUIN.

Again, not even a scrape.

Can i get 5" groups at 50 yards with this or am i on crack? Mechanical release to be sure, peep. I ask because Im looking for a goal. Whats the point of placing a pie plate at 50 yards if the bow will never do it anyway?

Pete

PS: Yes i know most shots are 25-40 yards - i love target ranges at 50 yards. For giggles - 80.

Pete

Pete,

Have no fear about some aspects of your bow. I used to shoot a lot of field archery back in the 70's with compound bows. Those were ancient and pretty antiquated to most young guys. Many have never had the pleasure of shooting some of the older bows.

Point I'm trying to make is that we shot out to 80 yards in field shooting. The fact is, bows today are really no more accurate than the bows of yesteryear. It's the shooter that tunes the bow and does the shooting that determines the accuracy. Today's modern bows make it a little easier in some ways, but make it harder in other ways.

Letoff is one aspect. High letoff actually allows shooters to become lazy or not shoot with good back tension. It makes a bows easier to hold at full draw, but has it's draw backs, too.

My best advice for you is to enjoy shooting what you have. And 50 yards should be a cake-walk if you are capable of it. The bow sure is.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Addicted to Trajectory

Default ...

LOL, you know - isnt there one in every forum?

P.

Banned

There is no sense buying a fishing pole if you never go fishing. There is no sense buying a bunch of $100+ reels and $60+ rods if you only go fishing a couple times a year. If you are interested in shooting a compound bow frequently and your not wanting to break your piggy bank, I would suggest a used late model Hoyt from Ebay or this forum.

Addicted to Trajectory

Default ...

Hey guys thanks for the input.

Ill let you know how the groups go. But frankly, I haven't shot in ...oh jeez.... lol - years my friend. Im [just?] 46 but I think the last time I shot was back in ...wow - twenty years ago. I was failry ok I guess - took some raccoon infact.

My interests in shooting be it rifle or bow however have always been divided between hunting and target with a balance of about 80/20 with the 80 percent being target. But in truth, its more like 99/1.

At anyrate shes still in the corner, Ill get some arrows next week and do my best, though admittedly, wow those groups will look like shotgun initally .
    I cant say i was ever good enough to call my self now just "rusty". Fact is now i might actually learn to do it right!

Thanks everyone for the kind support - even my Nugent Groupie friend.

Pete

Addicted to Trajectory

Default ...

I would suggest a used late model Hoyt from Ebay or this forum.

Thanks. Fact is I HAVE this bow. And virtually for free AND it looks like it never saw any action but dust falling. Its cleaned, looks immaculate, new strings, tuned limbs. Itll do fine. i just wanted a potential specd out and I was helped pretty well in the thread.

Sure theres lots of great bows out there. Believe, Im not short on "toys" either.
    My favorite rifle - and dont laugh, is a 900 dollar airgun [with scope]. Theres time for my personal interests and theres time for family interests. I always get what I like [usually] by and by. Thanks for the advice.

Pete

Site Guru

There is no sense buying a fishing pole if you never go fishing. There is no sense buying a bunch of $100+ reels and $60+ rods if you only go fishing a couple times a year. If you are interested in shooting a compound bow frequently and your not wanting to break your piggy bank, I would suggest a used late model Hoyt from Ebay or this forum.
    It amazes me that you have escaped the clutches of natural selection for so long.

There are more then 20 bow lines being produced all of whom produce excellent bows and all of whom have produced excellent bows for several years. Hoyt is one of them, Mathews, Bowtech, Martin, PSE, NAAG (Buckmaster, Bear...), and thats just to name a few. Hoyt is NOT now, NEVER has been, and NEVER will be the only choice and in about 99% of the cases its not even the BEST choice. Its just yet one more choice available to the consumer.

As for your HORRIBLE fishing analogy 100.00+ for a reel is nothing, 60.00 for a rod is a joke. If you only fish 3 - 4 times a year a 100.00+ reel and a 60.00+ rod are PERFECT for what you are looking for. While you may not use them as often as the pro's do there is no reason to buy inferior quality. Nothing will ruin a fishing (or hunting) trip worse then buying garbage equipment because you only use it "a couple times a year". Plus buying good off the start means it will last for decades as opposed to a few outings.
    No I'm not dead

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Petewp View Post
    Thanks. Fact is I HAVE this bow. And virtually for free AND it looks like it never saw any action but dust falling. Its cleaned, looks immaculate, new strings, tuned limbs. Itll do fine. i just wanted a potential specd out and I was helped pretty well in the thread.

Sure theres lots of great bows out there. Believe, Im not short on "toys" either.
    My favorite rifle - and dont laugh, is a 900 dollar airgun [with scope]. Theres time for my personal interests and theres time for family interests. I always get what I like [usually] by and by. Thanks for the advice.

Pete
    a 900.00 pellet gun?!?! Wow the number of tree rats I could destroy with that would be astronomical!

In all honesty the bow you have should shoot fine. If you are looking for stuff to put on here is my "Newb perfect for hunting kit".

Rest: Whisker Biscuit
    Site: Copper John Dead Nuts 3 pin
    Stabilizer: SIMS Hunter Stabilizer (I think its 6 inch?)
    Arrows: I use Gold Tip 7595's for hunting. They are heavy, they are over spined, they fly great
    Broadheads: Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain (about 20.00 - 30.00 for a package of 6, best price anywhere and awesome heads)

Release - TRU Wrist release (think it was 40.00 new). Releases will significantly increase your accuracy over fingers. I strongly suggest you get one and switch from fingers

My "hunting package" has been on 4 different bows now. It is solid, stable, and cheap and you can find all the stuff at great prices on 3dshoots.com store or on the classifieds.
    No I'm not dead

Banned

I have owned Hoyt,Bear, Martin, Darton, PSE &Golden Eagle(before Bear came in) . Ive shot most brands and all cam types used today and some that arent. Hoyt isnt the only choice, just the best one. I was simply telling him what I would do.
    You can play tag with Semi's on the interstate in the rain at night if you want to. I really dont care.