You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default newb in need of help

hey all looking at getting this bow Bear Archery Buck masters BTR Compound Bow It is like 190 from Wally world. (reason for wally world. is i have a 150.00 gift card so i would liek to stay as close to that as i can. ) I know it will be more but trying to do this on a budget

here is the deal i am new to the archery side of hunting and i would like to try it. So i dont want a 400.00 or more bow that if i dont like it i won't use.

I already shoot black powder so i allow the deer with in about 20 yards of me before I shoot even with my rife. Kinda Lenard that if they are close to you they dont run as far to have to go drag them back.
    So i guess i m lazy LOL

But what I'm looking at is in some of the reviews they are talking about a cheezy arrow rest and also the the cams not being the best. Can the cams be replaced? I tried to search for replacement cams but could not find them on the net.

the arrow rest is easy figure I'm going with the whisper biscuit after shoot a Friends with that set up and his wifes with out it I like his better.

Also would like to get some kind of release and stabiliser for this set .

trying to stay cheap on this. so the cams might wait till i see how the first season goes but figure I'm going to practise ALLOT! with this first.

Thanks for any and all help you Can give on this!!
    Mickey

sorry so long winded for a first post but wanted to get it all out.

Thanks for the site very interesting and informative. I look froward to learning as much as i can from all who live here
    Thanks
    Mickey

Havent seen bows in wally world. Check the net for archery dealers in your area. I bought a brand new bow for my wife that had been sitting on a shelf for two years. BIG DISCOUNT!! Try a NAP arrow rest. Cobra makes decent releases that wont set you back much.

thanks, I will start hunting up that tree also.

As far as Wally worl i had actually found them on line. on thier web site. I actually did see them when we lived in a diffrent area but tonight on the way home looked and didnt see them Go figure LOL

Talking TO buy an inexpensive bow or not

Randy -

I got in to archery three years ago. I had never hunted before in my life, archery or gun. I bought what I thought was a mid range bow - $400 for bow and fully field loaded with practice arrows, field points, braodheads etc. I was out the door for $850. Kind of exspensive compared to blackpowder (I just bought a ML last week - still like my bow the best). I would caution you with going too cheap. You will be giving a lot on the balance, vibration and "release noise". If you go too cheap you may not have a good experience with bow hunting. For me the bow and equipment can make the best hunt the BEST hunt or the worst all because of the bow you purchased. Also take a look and see how adjustable the draw length, and draw weight is.

thanks for the info inbowhuner75.

When digging around that was why i kind of looked at this one is the reviewers on it were pretty good. and it was a Fred bear bow. low end be it but figured it was not the worse i could do LOL.

I love the black powder i have a Traditional percussion C.V.A. Long rife. it is actually the first version of it. the one they have now is different then mine.

I have been with this rifle since i was 10years old. It was one of the few things i could do with Dad. With out having them say i was to young or small.

Living on a farm you tend to be raised with a gun of some sort around all the time. but when i wet out to go hunting anywhere other our land it was a issue.
    So this got me around it.
    Think it is a great sport for anyone to get in to with their son or daughter. lets them learn about the guns and also at the same time some history.
    the newer ones are all the pyrodex. it is a nice set up but still not what i grew up with so it is foregn to me.
    But the mis fires rate is lower. I have lost plenty of deer in the rain or wet from misfires.

If you need help with yours let me knwo i will do my best to help ya out on it.
    Thanks agian for the help ont he bow. I will see about finding somethign around here.