You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Addicted to Trajectory

Default So what is the BEST compound for $600 anyway?

Everyones got opinions, but can anyone state definitively why they like their bow over another? Martin i hear about, but the local store seems to hold Hoyt or Bowtech and then theres the less expensive Parker Bows.

But what about Martin. Some people, a lot of people actually, swear by them - over Hoyt and Bowtech...why?

Anyway, $600 is lol - the "low" end of the budget for these class blows - what brand would you chose for the following...

1. Above all accuracy - I dont care about hyper velocity so much as a good accurate bow.
    2. I dont need the tiniest bow either. Compactness just isnt an issue with me.
    3. Quiet ofcourse.

4. For $600 tax not included.

The majority of my shooting will be target, with occaisional forays into the local state forest. Im a nut for accuracy. Its my nature. Ill sacrifice a few things for a target-reliable rig.

What about Martin...why are they so.... well the owners are like hardcore Martin fanatics. How does this bow differ from Bowtech and Hoyt?

Pete - thanks again guys.

Alot of people like the Martins because they are a great bow for a very low price. I shot one of there bows just the other day and it was smooth no noise no hand shock nothing it was a very nice bow and i was not a speed it only had a 315 IBO speed. ( the cheetah) For the bare bow it was I think $369.95 so you get a great bow for a good price. I would say it shoots just as nice as some of the top dollar bows. Here is a pic of the bow.None of the hunting accessory were on the bow when i shot it. So what is the BEST compound for $600 anyway? - General Archery Forum

IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Most all bows on the market are good ones and imo the best one is the one that a person decides to buy....for what ever reason that may be.Archery is verry competitive today and no company wants to make a bad bow....if they did,they wouldn't be in bussiness long.There's a bunch of good name brand bows out there in the 600$ range and there's also a bunch out there in the 400/500 range.Not intended to rag on anyone,but imo there's 2 reasons why some buy the brand they choose.....1st is the person just wants a bow that will perform for what they'll use it for at a fair price....2nd is a person will buy it for bragging rights/inclub rights.If i were looking to buy a new bow in the 600$ range......i would shoot different brands and decide on how it felt in my hand and rather or not it would serve the purpose for what it would be used for.....and in most cases,i could probably find a good one for less than 600.
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

I agee with both turkeynutz and IChim2. You might also want to take a look at some used bows and also after the 1st there should be sales going on at your pro shops on a "new" used bow. (The 2007 models), My personal favorite in the $600 range is the Diamond Black Ice ($649). Hit the pro shops and don't get hung up on brand names, Talk with the guys at differant Pro Shops and get the one that feels best to you. Make sure you get fitted for the right Draw length and DON'T get hung up on the macho draw weight syndome.

Banned

the same ones that are $3-4 and $500...a used Hoyt.

Used is good, take advantage of those who get new bows each year for free or have to have the latest and greatest. You can get a 1 year old 900 dollar bow for around 300.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Banned

shooters swear by hoyt and swear at bowtech. a good used late model hoyt is still better than anything else. the latest bowtech/diamond swearing was at the range this morning with those new rubber string stoppers on the '08 cable roller/gaurd. both on brand new '08 bows...a 34" diamond and a 31" bowtech with the wishbone riser. forgive me , i dont know the model names.

Personally I would say a used guardian, allegiance or drenalin but you should also consider a new martin for the same price range.

rick
    No catchy signature here.....

Addicted to Trajectory

Default ...

Thanks everyone - im totally totally uninterested in anything used. Im looking closely at some Martins. Thanks.

Funny, I keep hearing people not liking bowtech. De laminating bow or somesuch was one pet peeve.

Thanks,

P.

Banned

most bow companies dont make limbs...and dont even use limbs, they use Gordon fiberglass planks. Hoyt makes theyre own compound limbs ,they make most limbs on recurves used at the olympics. No one has more LIMB manufacturing experience than Hoyt,whether your talkin compounds or recurve. The limbs is 1 of the biggest reasons why Hoyt is the best bow and an un-abused used Hoyt is still better than a new most anything else. I own 4 and my 3D rig was bought used and shoots just like a new one. Martin probably ranks 2nd in the limb dept for compounds.

For $600-----Martin FireCat-------NEW/not used.

For about $450---Martin Moab----NEW/not used.

No reason for me to state why. Shoot them and find out for yourself.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Why not used??

you can get one heck of a deal on USED target bow from most companies....

maybe even a Camo Scepter series or Conquest series from Mathews.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

I have heard alot of good about the mission by Mathews for the mid 3s

Quote Originally Posted by turkeynutz View Post
    I have heard alot of good about the mission by Mathews for the mid 3s
    the grip on the Missions is awsome........Mathews should use that grip on all there bows......

the journey is a nice bow.......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default yep

There are alot of bows out there in this price range.
    Try them all so you dont get dissipointed when u pic 1 to fast go to the range and someone lets u hold or shoot theres and u find u should have researched them all before buying.
    Good luck!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

If you're thinking target only, I'd look at the Martin Mystic. I'm pretty sure it's in your price range.

Yake a look at the new PSE ThunderBolt X NX, you can probabaly find one for the price you are looking for. Just shoot one, as only you can determine what is good for you. IMO it is one very fine bow.

Axle-to-Axle: 28 1/2"
    Bow Weight: 3.9
    Brace Height: 7-7/8"
    IBO Speed: 312-304
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    If I can't hunt in
    heaven, I don't wanna go
    Shoot straight, and aim
    for the 12 ring.

Oh, here is two more to check out, shot both of them and they are real nice.

Mirage TC
    Axle-to-Axle:29-3/4"
    Bow Weight:4.4
    Brace Height:7-1/2"
    IBO Speed:315-307
    Let-Off:80% Adjustable to 65%

Rogue X MF
    Axle-to-Axle: 33-3/8"
    Bow Weight: 3.7
    Brace Height: 7-1/8"
    IBO Speed: 322-314
    Let Off: 70% adjustable to 60%
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    If I can't hunt in
    heaven, I don't wanna go
    Shoot straight, and aim
    for the 12 ring.

It's all a matter of opinion...

Try as many as you can...

I wouldn't disregard a used bow, you might find a better bow for the money...

Have you checked out the classifieds here? I just saw an XT for $600
    I absolutely LOVE mine.

Here are a few reasons people like Martins

1. Affordability - you get the same quality for less
    2. Customer Service - 2nd to none in my opinion
    3. Choices - Martin offers many factory options to their bows
    4. Moduled cams so can adjust your draw without buying new cams
    5. No bow press required to take bow apart
    6. Peace of mind - Martin has been around 57yrs and they aren't going anywhere.

Other companies offer some of the same things, but at a higher price. Best advice I can give is to shoot a Martin next to another brand and decide for yourself it the other brand is worth the extra money. For some it is.

I'm selling the camo Martin Mystic for $459. This comes with the mini-Mpro single cam set up and would make an outstanding target/hunting bow. Take a look at them on their website.

If you want parallel limbs and more speed, take a look at the Slayer. You should be able to get a camo model for $600 or less.

Both of these bows have long axle to axle lengths and would make great utility bows.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps