You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: PA Deer Hunting

  1. #1
    Senior Member Liv2Bowhunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    179

    Default PA Deer Hunting

    Check this out, pa hunters should agree with this.

    www.PetitionOnline.com/nodoe/

  2. #2
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    I disagree. I think its a bad move.

    The number of deer that need harvested every year is already very high. Why should we take away the ability to shoot doe without taking days off of work to go out in the woods?

    If anything this will significantly increase the number of bucks being shot as noone is taking doe, so any legal buck will be shot on sight. The number of doe taken will also drop considerably as fewer hunters will shoot them as they won't be in the woods to do so.
    No I'm not dead

  3. #3
    dodgensince74
    Guest

    Default

    I don't know but it seems to me that once you drop the quanity on how many days you can hunt, or how many of anything that you can kill that it is going to be much harder to get the limits raised back up when you want them raised. I can see lowering the limit on how many you can kill if it is to benifit the size of the deer population to the good, but I would not touch the length of the season or limit the days on which you can hunt.

  4. #4
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dodgensince74 View Post
    I don't know but it seems to me that once you drop the quanity on how many days you can hunt, or how many of anything that you can kill that it is going to be much harder to get the limits raised back up when you want them raised. I can see lowering the limit on how many you can kill if it is to benifit the size of the deer population to the good, but I would not touch the length of the season or limit the days on which you can hunt.
    basically when you lower the days of the season you also lower the quality of the deer that will be shot. This is where the original "its brown and down" concept came from. Most hunters only have 2 days to hunt rifle unless they are taking off work. It used to be 3 days of doe (mon - wed after antler season was over) and if you saw brown you shot it unless it had antlers. Spikes and buttons were fine, any doe of any size got dropped.

    If we really want to improve the herd we need to give hunters more chances to get in the woods. Allow Sunday hunting, and make the rifle season at least 3 weeks (make week 1 instate only). The more time we are able to spend in the woods the more likely we are to let that barely legal 6 walk by
    No I'm not dead

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    90

    Default

    I think that some kind of limitation needs put back on the deer harvest. A two day antlerless season, following the two-week antlered, season worked for years. Now we have less deer, less hunters, and more posted ground because people want to protect their chance to harvest a deer. Three days afer a snow this year, I walked 1 1/2 miles out a state gamelands log road, crossed about 150 yards and returned to my truck. I saw eight deer tracks. This is forest boardering cut corn and a standing field. This is about a mile from my home. If I drive 30 miles south of here I have an priviledge of hunting posted ground. Needless to say, lots of deer reside in this area. Hunting is very restricted, to the point that it will become over populated. But, the owners know how precious the deer have become and put signs up to protect their hunt next year. PA is becoming Texas with little deer. Pay to hunt private, or have three hunters per deer on public ground.

  6. #6
    Member ridgewalker243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    151

    Default Pa

    The reason people are so upset is because they don't see all the deer the use to. They don't realize that it is actually a good thing because before they where eating everything up because they where over populated. They overall deer herd health has increased greatly allowing bigger bodied deer and letting they buck's to get sufficient netrients to get those antlers growing. The only thing I have seen come out of the new PA regulations is a great looking deer herd with some great bucks.

  7. #7
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhaul View Post
    I think that some kind of limitation needs put back on the deer harvest. A two day antlerless season, following the two-week antlered, season worked for years. Now we have less deer, less hunters, and more posted ground because people want to protect their chance to harvest a deer. Three days afer a snow this year, I walked 1 1/2 miles out a state gamelands log road, crossed about 150 yards and returned to my truck. I saw eight deer tracks. This is forest boardering cut corn and a standing field. This is about a mile from my home. If I drive 30 miles south of here I have an priviledge of hunting posted ground. Needless to say, lots of deer reside in this area. Hunting is very restricted, to the point that it will become over populated. But, the owners know how precious the deer have become and put signs up to protect their hunt next year. PA is becoming Texas with little deer. Pay to hunt private, or have three hunters per deer on public ground.
    I agree... the issues (as I see them) are:

    1. the number of hunters / deer. Not the number of deer harvested and the amount of land available.

    2. The amount of growth in the state, especially on the eastern and western borders and along the south border have changed a lot of what used to be great hunting areas into developments that deer have taken refuge in.

    3. Auto accidents involving deer are up significantly in PA and have been rising for years (according to the insurance companies). We are and have been for a few years, the number one state for deer related auto accidents. This is also directly related to the dramatic increase in population.

    4. Increases in loss of food and habitat due primarily to farm land being sold and not being used for farming.

    Overall just about all the deer related issues can be tracked directly to the mass influx of people moving into the state. There are a number of counties, especially in the NE that have had over double digit population increases every year for the past 10 years. There are a lot that have 5%+ increases around Filthy, the Lehigh Valley area and along the Maryland border as people leave the metro's for the joys of suburbia life.
    No I'm not dead

  8. #8
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker243 View Post
    The reason people are so upset is because they don't see all the deer the use to. They don't realize that it is actually a good thing because before they where eating everything up because they where over populated. They overall deer herd health has increased greatly allowing bigger bodied deer and letting they buck's to get sufficient netrients to get those antlers growing. The only thing I have seen come out of the new PA regulations is a great looking deer herd with some great bucks.
    You ain't from around here are ya?
    No I'm not dead

  9. #9
    Member ridgewalker243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    151

    Default Pa

    I hunt there and have family there and keep a close eye on whats going on. It's funny most of the people that do all the complaining still use there doe tags and shoot as many as there allowed!!!!!

  10. #10
    Member ridgewalker243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    151

    Default Pa

    PA sucks don't it!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    cabin in North Central PA on private land?

    That is one hell of a lineup for PA in any area. on public land thats pretty much unheard of.

    Whats funny is there are at least 2 of those deer that are barely legal or illegal depending on where in the state you are hunting and you are making comments about taking doe... Brown and Down right?
    Last edited by Dredly; 01-15-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    No I'm not dead

  12. #12
    Member ridgewalker243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    151

    Default Pa

    Lets see the cabin that we stay at is actually my cousins house witch sits on 3 acres. The only land we hunt is public land. Also we are in the 3 point area. One of the small bucks was my nieces first buck and the other one was a last day before heading back home I just spent a lot of money to hunt and I don't have anything in my freezer. I sure you never shot something that puny.

  13. #13
    Member ridgewalker243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    151

    Default another tiny PA deer

    Going to be a new bow record.

    absolutly pathetic!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker243 View Post
    Lets see the cabin that we stay at is actually my cousins house witch sits on 3 acres. The only land we hunt is public land. Also we are in the 3 point area. One of the small bucks was my nieces first buck and the other one was a last day before heading back home I just spent a lot of money to hunt and I don't have anything in my freezer. I sure you never shot something that puny.
    I'm confused...

    you are saying Brown and Down hunters are the reason for the issues in PA but you just admitted to shooting whatever came by because you paid to hunt?

    PA has always had some big bucks. The problem is getting to them during legal hunting hours and getting them away from the houses. We also weren't discussing the AR and them being good or bad. We were discussing going back to a "doe" season.

    Where is your lineup of does that you guys shot?
    No I'm not dead

  15. #15
    Senior Member Liv2Bowhunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I disagree. I think its a bad move.

    The number of deer that need harvested every year is already very high. Why should we take away the ability to shoot doe without taking days off of work to go out in the woods?

    If anything this will significantly increase the number of bucks being shot as noone is taking doe, so any legal buck will be shot on sight. The number of doe taken will also drop considerably as fewer hunters will shoot them as they won't be in the woods to do so.

    you are way off, i live and hunt her, i have lived and hunted here my entire life. the number of does they want killed and what actually needs to be harvested are completely off, i can tell you with 100% certainly, they killed toooooooo many deer here in the past few years based solely on the amount of deer we are seeing. in NE PA, people want meat, prolonging the doe season is only going to kill more doe, with out doe there isn't any young. Let me know if you see a pregnant buck roaming around anywhere! i am a die hard hunter, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to go back to 1 deer a year as they did way back when in pa. Hunt all year for that big buck, and if it comes down to "needing" some meat, take a doe at the end of the season. in all likeley hood that won't happen, but 3 days of doe season is a start.
    Last edited by Liv2Bowhunt; 01-15-2008 at 01:20 PM.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Bowhunt View Post
    you are way off, i live and hunt her, i have lived and hunted here my entire life. the number of does they want killed and what actually needs to be harvested are completely off, i can tell you with 100% certainly, they killed toooooooo many deer here in the past few years based solely on the amount of deer we are seeing. in NE PA, people want meat, prolonging the doe season is only going to kill more doe, with out doe there isn't any young. Let me know if you see a pregnant buck roaming around anywhere! i am a die hard hunter, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to go back to 1 deer a year as they did way back when in pa. Hunt all year for that big buck, and if it comes down to "needing" some meat, take a doe at the end of the season. in all likeley hood that won't happen, but 3 days of doe season is a start.

    I would like the to have the season length stay the same and the numbers of Doe tags limited. (i.e. 5C allows you to apply for as many tags as you can get)

  17. #17
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Bowhunt View Post
    you are way off, i live and hunt her, i have lived and hunted here my entire life. the number of does they want killed and what actually needs to be harvested are completely off, i can tell you with 100% certainly, they killed toooooooo many deer here in the past few years based solely on the amount of deer we are seeing. in NE PA, people want meat, prolonging the doe season is only going to kill more doe, with out doe there isn't any young. Let me know if you see a pregnant buck roaming around anywhere! i am a die hard hunter, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to go back to 1 deer a year as they did way back when in pa. Hunt all year for that big buck, and if it comes down to "needing" some meat, take a doe at the end of the season. in all likeley hood that won't happen, but 3 days of doe season is a start.
    I think the biggest "challange" is balancing the increasing population with the deer herd. There are housing areas around here that literally (I've witnessed them) have herds of 20+ walking around and they are unable to be hunted. The deer aren't dumb. The numbers of tags (I feel) are fine for the areas where they are given as the GC knows that the vast majority will go unfilled, if they only give out 1 deer / hunter the number of deer on private land will go up even more as less and less deer roam "public pressured" lands and more become domesticated.

    This is extremely obvious in the NE where the housing developments are sprouting up everywhere and its not unusual to see deer by the dozens feeding in peoples yards.

    Heck if you want to see where the deer are just drive on ANY highway in PA. you'll find them on the side of the road.
    No I'm not dead

  18. #18
    Member ridgewalker243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I'm confused...

    you are saying Brown and Down hunters are the reason for the issues in PA but you just admitted to shooting whatever came by because you paid to hunt?

    PA has always had some big bucks. The problem is getting to them during legal hunting hours and getting them away from the houses. We also weren't discussing the AR and them being good or bad. We were discussing going back to a "doe" season.

    Where is your lineup of does that you guys shot?
    Did I say I shot that small buck????? Hummm NO!!! Did this guy just shoot whatever walked by NO!!! He shot a legal buck just like every one else would have. Also did I say anything about brown and down being an issue NO!!! What I am trying to say is that most of the people complaining about shooting to many doe fill all of there doe tags. If they have such a big problem with it they shouldn't fill them. People are also complaining there isn't as many deer as there use to be. Thats because there was way to many deer before. NOT ENOUGH FOOD TO GO AROUND = SMALL PUNY DEER. I have grown up in a state where the deer demolished the forest. You look through the woods and everything is eaten up to 6' off the ground. Now we cant have a decent herd because there isn't much feed to get them through the winter.

  19. #19
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    I would like the to have the season length stay the same and the numbers of Doe tags limited. (i.e. 5C allows you to apply for as many tags as you can get)
    And how many people actually hunt area 5C? I think the GC is trying to de-populate these areas of deer due to the limited land and massive number of animals.

    Last year if you looked at the "deer report cards" or whatever its called where they review the health of the heard there were lots of zones that were "critical". That means the deer are in danger of rampant disease and starvation along with posing a significant threat to motorists.
    No I'm not dead

  20. #20
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker243 View Post
    Did I say I shot that small buck????? Hummm NO!!! Did this guy just shoot whatever walked by NO!!! He shot a legal buck just like every one else would have. Also did I say anything about brown and down being an issue NO!!! What I am trying to say is that most of the people complaining about shooting to many doe fill all of there doe tags. If they have such a big problem with it they shouldn't fill them. People are also complaining there isn't as many deer as there use to be. Thats because there was way to many deer before. NOT ENOUGH FOOD TO GO AROUND = SMALL PUNY DEER. I have grown up in a state where the deer demolished the forest. You look through the woods and everything is eaten up to 6' off the ground. Now we cant have a decent herd because there isn't much feed to get them through the winter.
    Sorry it read like you shot it because there was nothing in your freezer. my bad.

    I haven't "tagged out" in years. Most people don't.

    Ex: in 2005 the estimated harvest was

    Buck- 120,500
    Doe- 233,890 (out of 879,000 issued)

    Hunters killed an estimated 361,560 deer in the 2006-07

    135,290 antlered
    226,270 antlerless (out of 859,000 issued)

    (source http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/news/res...-resource.aspx)

    So to me it looks like we are running at about a 25% success rate for doe, and close to a 10 - 15% success rate for buck.
    No I'm not dead

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 07:24 PM
  2. Deer Hunting Videos
    By GunNut01 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2007, 10:58 PM
  3. Deer hunting
    By hduc2005 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 03:59 PM
  4. Craziest/scariest Deer hunting story
    By bowcraze30 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 04:05 PM
  5. 3D Shoot and Deer Hunting Seminar Medina Ohio
    By Ohiobowhunter67 in forum Tournament Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •