You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default COBRA Sidewinder LX

I am using a Cobra sidewinder lx and no one has ever really explained to me what the purpose of the sliding sight is. I have mine set in the middle and I noticed that when I slide it all the way out I will hit a few inches high. Can someone please explain to me the advantage of having a sliding sight??

out???? or up and down?
    I cut things up and split them down!

This sight slides out and ranges about 4-6 inches

i did not even think........ of that So than am I wrong but moving the sight out would make you a little more accurate, closer to the target????

Yeah, I've been told that but one thing I don't understand is, why am I shooting high??? (I double checked this by shooting a paper target 10-15 times and it was consistently high.)

first thing that comes to my mind is more weght on the front of the bow your tring harder to push it up there just a guess as is most of my posts

humm the target guys here might better explain the advantage of having the sight out away from the bow further, If you have it half way in, then move it all the way out, your bow will hit higher because the angle of attack, on the sight looking though your peep was changed.. kinda like if you move your peep down.... I have 2 of these sights and lovem, its also nice if you need to take your sight off to put your bow in your case, or to work on the sight. Just make sure you put it back on in the same alinment hole each time, i took a knife and marked the bars on mine so its easy to find, i take them off often cause i use differnt arrows with each sight on the same bow, and have never had any problems.

few things ive come up with, maybe the ditance between the sight and the peep at full draw allows for a more acurate lineup on the target, making a more accurate shot?? and also i know with some guys shooting scopes, they will move them in and out a bit to help focus the scope, alot of them have the focus lenses in the peeps, those cannot be moved, so by moving the sight closer or further will adjust the focus on the target. If you ever watch the long range target shooters, they got their sights way out their, so theirs got to be some kind of accuracy theory here????

Thanks for all of you replies I appreciate the help, one more question Does anyone know if cobra makes a target style sight that will slide in the sidewinder lx track?

I believe the reason you are high is because your sight bar and arrow are not perfectly parallel. This was explained in archery talk. I beleive it is called the 4th axis.

Do a seach there on 4th axis and you will find plenty of info.

Default moving the sight in or out will

change the angle between your lineup of the pin and the arrow at rest. I always store my COBRA Sureloc sight at its shortest point. Since I sometimes forget to move it out when I shoot in the backyard, I will shoot high with it all the way back by the bow. Have not tried it from the middle to full extension.

Purpose of the slide for me is to extend the sight as far as possible from me to improve accuracy. Kinda like goose hunters prefer a longer sight plane for longer distance shooting.