You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default experience with holographic bow sight?

Pros and cons. Do most use a peep or is it more like a red dot scope? I like to play with different sights but this one costs a few dollars for the mount, and I'm not willing to spend the time to make one unless someone's experience sways me to. Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Site Guru

you may want to check local regs, especially for hunting.

In PA the "holographic" sites are iffy as most of them project a single dot from a laser onto a piece of see through material... I don't remember seeing anything about this being legal as it is not a "lighed pin" and it does "project" the dot onto something...
    No I'm not dead

NOt sure but checl the laws. And the only real holographic sight I know of is a Eotec. They quit making them for bow. And just make them for the army now.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

There was a booth with one at the ATA. The glass in the sight housing had a reticle on it. You had to look into the glass exactly the same every time to put the red dot in the middle of the reticle. Any side torque or vertical mis-alignment took the dot out of the reticle.

I like red dots for quick target acquisition on an assault rifle, not so sure about one on a bow just yet.......
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

I would say they all work pretty good till you get that buck of a lifetime in front of you and ya go to turn it on and find out your battery is dead...
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

I used to rep the EOtech Holo Sight and had one on a bow so I can add a little insight to this converstaion. Please bear in mind that I am not real good with words, but I'll try to as detailed as possible without getting too long.

I'm pretty sure that EOtech quit making the sight in 2004 due to lack of sales. They made two different models at the time, but I forget the model numbers. There was the one with just the dot and a circle with partial crosshairs. The other had an integrated range finder built in.

The whole idea of it is that the dot was supposed to be at 25 yards and the circle was at the bow. This was then projected onto a screen. In essence it's supposed to give a sight radius of 25 yards which should give excellent accuracy.

The perception that you have to center the dot is not correct. You do center it, but this is done in a particular manner. The sight is set up and angled so at full draw the dot is centered. This is a really tricky setup, very tedious, and should almost be done with two people. One to draw and anchor and the other to adjust the sight. One person can do it, but it just takes longer and a person is likely to get tired in the process, thus changing shooting form.

After it is set up to a particular person it should work pretty well. What it will do is show you whethr you are consistent with your form. If you draw and anchor and the dot isn't in the screen or is off center then you are not anchored properly or are causing trque in some manner. This has advantages. Having a visual clue it gives you a chance to alter your anchor before making an errant shot. It could end up being a great training aid, too.

There are some major drawbacks to this thing, though. One is the size and weight. It makes a bow pretty top heavy. It is very sensitive to changes in ones form. Tricky to set up.

One major one for hunting. The sight has 20 brightness settings. When turned on it automatically goes to #15, which is plenty bright enough for daylight. The holographics should not be too bright or you can't see anything beyond them. Like having a light shining in your eyes. As the sun gos down and light starts fading you need to reach up every so often and turn the intensity down. This incurs moving, maybe extra movement you don't want to make. Deer pick this up, don't they?

If I recall, it takes 2 or 4 type N camera batteries. Change batteries with no tools. Carry extras in your shirt pocket or fanny pack. How long they last depends on how high the intensity is turned up. Company says up to 80 hours, but realistically look for about 40 hours of constant use.

So far as I know the only decent mount for this thing is made by HHA. It's the Optimizer mount usually comes with the sight as a unit. Last price I had back then was $329. Waterproof and shockproof. Warranty was 1 year on the electronics only.

Now that's some of what I found. I sold a lot of them at the Harrisburg Sports Show in 2002 and many that bought them swear by them. Just proves "to each his own".

What did I forget?
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

2 batteries and I think they came with 2 AA models. The display is a heads up just like F16 has. You can not see the display from the front or sides. I have bought a few to play with and resale. I also have one on my AR15 pistol. They have some info on there web sight.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

I forgot to add that anybody interested in seeing what one looks like and the specs can log onto Bushnell's website. Look under rifle scopes for "holosight". EOtech makes this model for Bushnell and it is the same as the bow model except for the reticle.

The main difference in the reticle is that the gunversion only has the reticle on a single plane, whereas the bow model is on two planes---front and rear sight in one headsup display.

And it is 2 (two) type N camera batteries. 40 hrs battery life---max.
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

The one at the ATA show looked nothing like that one and drawing the bow had nothing to do with the dot being in the reticle. The glass with the reticle was like a 2" square that stuck out into the sight window of the bow. The red dot was projected onto it from the riser.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I forgot to add that anybody interested in seeing what one looks like and the specs can log onto Bushnell's website. Look under rifle scopes for "holosight". EOtech makes this model for Bushnell and it is the same as the bow model except for the reticle.

The main difference in the reticle is that the gunversion only has the reticle on a single plane, whereas the bow model is on two planes---front and rear sight in one headsup display.

And it is 2 (two) type N camera batteries. 40 hrs battery life---max.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

alll this time I thoguh you all were talking about halucinigenic sights..... man was I way off.......
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

Quote Originally Posted by two_shoes View Post
    alll this time I thoguh you all were talking about halucinigenic sights..... man was I way off.......
    Got to admit, you're probably pretty close.

JC, the holo sight on Bushnell's website is what was originally made by EOtech. In fact, EOtech makes the one that Bushnell markets for guns.
    As I said above, that was several years ago and from what I got from their production manager it was going to be discontinued due to poor sales. It's quite possible they have gotten their noses to the grindstone and come out with a new version. I guess it's time to do some research and see. If I find anything out I'll post it.

How much more detail can you provide on the one you were looking at?
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

OK, a Google search showed that EOtech does not make the bow version any more and nothing like what JC is describing. They still have the version I had, but only for guns. The bow version was a model 520.

Here's the goods. AimShot HG-D1 and the mount is an HG-M1. Does this look like it J.C.? I found the sight for $115 and the mount doe $55. Frankly the sight is just a sliider mount like HHA exceptit has a piece of aluminum angle attached which accepts a Weaver base(same as HHA). Pretty good price for it.

Aybody who want to see one and/or the specs can just Google it. I'm not too keen on the battery life---only 10 hours continuous use. The sight ring is 34mm, which is about 1 1/4" to us Americans.

The reticle I see is a single dot so some sort of peep would probably be needed or something to obtain a consistant rear anchor.

Frankly, I think I'd prefer just a thin ring that brackets about 3" at 20 yards. Might help some with the target panic in that it wouldn't cover the X-ring I'm trying to see. Then maybe add a 4X lens for 3D.

Something else this thing might be decent for is us old guys with aging eyes that see nothing but a blur when we are using pins. I might have to look into this further now that my brain is working. Heck, if I gotta use a peep it's no big deal. I use one now.............HMMMMM
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

That is closer, but that isn't it either. I tried looking at my ATA show booth map, but nothing jumped out at me. I'll keep looking. I'm pretty sure this sight was new for 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    OK, a Google search showed that EOtech does not make the bow version any more and nothing like what JC is describing. They still have the version I had, but only for guns. The bow version was a model 520.

Here's the goods. AimShot HG-D1 and the mount is an HG-M1. Does this look like it J.C.? I found the sight for $115 and the mount doe $55. Frankly the sight is just a sliider mount like HHA exceptit has a piece of aluminum angle attached which accepts a Weaver base(same as HHA). Pretty good price for it.

Aybody who want to see one and/or the specs can just Google it. I'm not too keen on the battery life---only 10 hours continuous use. The sight ring is 34mm, which is about 1 1/4" to us Americans.

The reticle I see is a single dot so some sort of peep would probably be needed or something to obtain a consistant rear anchor.

Frankly, I think I'd prefer just a thin ring that brackets about 3" at 20 yards. Might help some with the target panic in that it wouldn't cover the X-ring I'm trying to see. Then maybe add a 4X lens for 3D.

Something else this thing might be decent for is us old guys with aging eyes that see nothing but a blur when we are using pins. I might have to look into this further now that my brain is working. Heck, if I gotta use a peep it's no big deal. I use one now.............HMMMMM
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

I'm 99% sure this is the company that had the sight. They definitely had the prop stick thingy. They show a sight under "future products". Maybe they haven't put them out to the public yet.

www.mazdog.com
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    I'm 99% sure this is the company that had the sight. They definitely had the prop stick thingy. They show a sight under "future products". Maybe they haven't put them out to the public yet.

www.mazdog.com
    Guess I'll have to check back once in a while with them. I have it bookmarked.
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

I'm grateful for the input, guys. However I'm still unclear, due to some conflicting feedback, if I'm going to need a peep or some other kind of rear anchor sight to use one of these. This is what will determine weather I will take the time to build a mount or not as I hate peep sights. Money is tight right now and I need arrows more than a new sight to play with. Thanks again for the help.

Sounds like you are describing the Summit Hot Dot.

Summit Hot Dot

I don't have any experience with that type of sight. Cant use that for hunting here due to it being battery operated.

This sight was being marketed by Mazdog but now it is being sold under Terzo Products, www.terzoproducts.com

It is a fiber optic archery sight that allows the user to not shoot a peep sight.

www.terzoproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    you may want to check local regs, especially for hunting.

In PA the "holographic" sites are iffy as most of them project a single dot from a laser onto a piece of see through material... I don't remember seeing anything about this being legal as it is not a "lighed pin" and it does "project" the dot onto something...
    The sight DOES NOT project a light on to the target. They are legal anywhere
    you can use a battery operated sight. I used one for a couple of years.
    Mine was mounted on an adjustable HHA sight. The bad thing about them
    is they make your bow top heavy and they are kind of a pain to get set up.
    I still have mine laying around.

I want to see one of these when they come out.

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/...ht-p-7550.html