You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default New to the forum ........ You won't believe this but I have a questioin

Hey there, just a quick greeting from Texas. I stumbled on this forum and decided to read for a while. It looks like a very informative place.

I recently decided to blow the dust off my bows and start shooting again. The bow I am shooting is an old school Whitetail II that I bought second hand some years back. I have yet to shoot it as the draw length was approx 4 inches too long. I recently took it to the pro shop and had some new modules put on taking the draw length down to with in 1/2 inch of correct for me.

My question is on the peep site. It seems like to look through it I have to stretch my neck out like I am on my tip toes trying to peek over a fence. It feels quite un-natural to me but the guy in the shop didn't seem to think anything was out of the ordinary. I wonder if the adjustment will require relocation of the site or if my natural form is not a good one?

Keep in mind this is the first bow with any site system at ALL that I have ever used. I am used to shaft siting / finger release and could hold my own considering this. I could hit a tennis ball 8/10 times at around 25-30 yards.

I have decided to catch up with the times and start using a release / sites and see how that turns out.

Sorry for the rant......just excited to get back in the game.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Scott

Scott, welcome back to shooting.

Do this...Draw your bow and anchor where you are comfortable. Make sure your head is erect. Not leaning in any direction. If the peep is not directly in front of your eye....it needs to be moved so that it is.

Let me know if you need more help,

Pinky
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

Pinky, thanks for the welcome. I had a good day today. Bought a bunch of new toys......First release, first dozen carbon arrows, first target that won't rot.

I was surprised how much better the shots are when using a sight system. Most of the shots where lined up vertically pretty well. The first arrow was way off but like I said, I hadn't ever shot this bow before today.

I taught my sons how to shoot today as well and bought their first bow. It is a pretty inexpensive recurve but fun nevertheless.

(Also got my first string slap on my forearm I have had in some years with a nice "welcome back" hematoma) Oh well, a couple of adjustments to my stance and that corrected. Occasional contact due to the swelling but I had to go on.

Anyway, I am pumped. Thanks for your interest.

Scott

A couple of pictures from today.

The target was at 20 yards about the second dozen arrows in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shoot.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	236 - t3h 3d shoots   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Target 2.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	237 - t3h 3d shoots  

thats awesome glad to see that your coming back to shooting. Nice grouping looks like your getting used to using a sight and release. Glad to have ya here

Default Form

Quote Originally Posted by Firewalker
    A couple of pictures from today.

The target was at 20 yards about the second dozen arrows in.

Looks like your form is good - hope you have some good shooting! Don't shoot too many arrows in a row though - you will develop some bad habits as you get tired. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I will try to help!
    Steve C
    Portage, MI

Carter Releases .... Shoot The Best!

Vortex Optics

Hoyt Pro-Elite
    Hoyt Ultratec

Sureloc Supreme Sight
    Sureloc Scope w/0.5 and 0.6 diopters
    Doinker 32" Elite Series Stabilizer
    Carbon Express X-Jammers - Spot
    Easton Fatboy 400 - 3D

Glory Be To The Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Firewalker
    Pinky, thanks for the welcome. I had a good day today. Bought a bunch of new toys......First release, first dozen carbon arrows, first target that won't rot.

I was surprised how much better the shots are when using a sight system. Most of the shots where lined up vertically pretty well. The first arrow was way off but like I said, I hadn't ever shot this bow before today.

I taught my sons how to shoot today as well and bought their first bow. It is a pretty inexpensive recurve but fun nevertheless.

(Also got my first string slap on my forearm I have had in some years with a nice "welcome back" hematoma) Oh well, a couple of adjustments to my stance and that corrected. Occasional contact due to the swelling but I had to go on.

Anyway, I am pumped. Thanks for your interest.

Scott

I still say your draw length is too long.

You can avoid those "hematomas" LOL by shortening up the draw length and unlocking your bow arm. And, you could change the way you are gripping the bow. Can you see how your wrist is opened up? That is moving your forearm right into the string travel.

Maybe this pic will help me explain......
    New to the forum ........ You won't believe this but I have a questioin - Beginners Archery Range

Look at my grip. And notice how my bow arm is unlocked. My elbow is well away from the string's travel.

With some practice, you could have all your form issues in check.

Let me know if I can help you,

Pinky

Default Welcome

Hey there firewalker welcome to the forum. Nice shooting just listen to this good advise these guys are telling you they know their stuff. Well have fun and keep practicing.

Frank

"HONDA"

Pinky, I agree it still draws a little long for me but that is as short as the pro shop could get it. That pic was also taken during the last couple shots and I was starting to get sloppy I think. Not to mention I had too much of the heel of my hand on the grip.

Thanks for the input for sure. This bow seems to have quite a loud sound when shot........kind of a "boing" for lack of a better word. I am not sure if it is coming from the limbs, string, combo? Need a dampner? What do you think? I plan on shooting this one to get back into the swing of things and hope to get a better bow soon. Wanted to make sure I still enjoyed it as much as I used to before dumping $600 on a new one. My friend keeps telling me how awesome his switchback XT is. Need to go shoot one.

I may try to track down the modules to make the draw shorter.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier
    Hey there firewalker welcome to the forum. Nice shooting just listen to this good advise these guys are telling you they know their stuff. Well have fun and keep practicing.

Frank
    Thanks man, I have enjoyed reading the posts so far........ the bowtech/switchback threads make me LMAO! Sounds like nascar peeps preaching how their driver rules!!!

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome.

(did you get that bow yet?)

Scott

Default Draw length

I would not worry too much about your DL - from the one picture it is not too far off. I have been told in the past by many experienced archers that the nock point should be below your eye. Your head position seems OK but the angle of the picture is a little decieving.
    Steve C
    Portage, MI

Carter Releases .... Shoot The Best!

Vortex Optics

Hoyt Pro-Elite
    Hoyt Ultratec

Sureloc Supreme Sight
    Sureloc Scope w/0.5 and 0.6 diopters
    Doinker 32" Elite Series Stabilizer
    Carbon Express X-Jammers - Spot
    Easton Fatboy 400 - 3D

Glory Be To The Lord

Default Not Yet

No I have not gotten my new bow yet The shop is telling me probably another week. Be sure to shoot all the bows you can before purchasing one just because one feels good does not mean another will not feel better. And by the way GO EARNHARDT #8hehehe

Frank

"HONDA"

Default lilhoosier

Hey FireWalker, bowhuntnhoosier is my dad, and i dont think it is in yet but i could be wrong. Anyway that is some nice grouping. Keep it up and dont give up. Im pretty new at archery, and im not as good as you yet but i gave up once and I'll never do it again.

parker buckshot
    truefire
    supercarbon
    tm hunter

Just enjoy shooting. I was only trying to relieve some of the pain. It won't be fun if it hurts.

Don't worry about the "boing". Deer season is way off. And, foam targets seldom jump at noise.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky
    Just enjoy shooting. I was only trying to relieve some of the pain. It won't be fun if it hurts.

Don't worry about the "boing". Deer season is way off. And, foam targets seldom jump at noise.

Have fun!
    I do appreciate the help. I tend to joke around a lot but I am thankful you are willing to spend the time to add a few words of advice. But about the boing I am serious. What causes that. If I don't find out ..... then in November I will be saying.......Hey ..... it's deer season. What makes that boing sound?

The blood is settling out in my arm nicely. I now have all the colors of the rainbow. LOL

I looked for the modules online to shorten the draw. No luck.

Try taking the quiver, and, arrows off the bow while shooting. See if that helps. Those arrows could be your "boing".