You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

View Poll Results: What would you do if arrows were broken due to a shops range?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, price of shooting archery

18 58.06%
  • Request not to pay for the shooting time

1 3.23%
  • Request replacement arrows

1 3.23%
  • Raise hell until credit is given for the arrows

2 6.45%
  • Refuse to go back and shoot there again

2 6.45%
  • Nothing, Its never happened to me

7 22.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Guru

Default Broken arrows at shop range?

Quick question for you guys...

When shooting at a shop range do you feel that they must maintain a "minimum standard" to ensure your arrows are not damaged due to bail failure? What do you do in the event that an arrow is destroyed due to a target failure such as the arrow passing through and hitting a wall, hitting something inside the target, or the target falling over and breaking the arrows?

I was shooting my Ovation yesterday and managed to destroy 2 arrows due to faulty targets. Both hits were nowhere near the edge of the targets (they use Morrell squares). Both were in fine condition before shooting and were definitely destroyed due to the bales.

I'm just curious. I'm not going to at the shop, the owner is a great guy. I'm just curious how you guys would handle it. He didn't charge me for the range time and apologized for the broken arrows, went immediately and removed the square that caused the issue so noone else would hit it again.

I had a previous episode like this as well. I was shooting at a store in Allentown PA, I shot 4 arrows into a target, when the 4th arrow hit the bale fell forward and snapped off all 4 arrows... They didn't care even though I had bought the bow, and arrows there and they still made me pay for the range time... I haven't been back since and never will go back
    Last edited by Dredly; 01-21-2008 at 01:31 PM.
    No I'm not dead

thats the price you pay to play.........
    I cut things up and split them down!

If it is obiously because of the bales I would ask for new arrows. If the owner is the great guy you say he is he will reaplace your arrows and then the bales so it does not happen to anyone else.
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Quick question for you guys...

When shooting at a shop range do you feel that they must maintain a "minimum standard" to ensure your arrows are not damaged due to bail failure? What do you do in the event that an arrow is destroyed due to a target failure such as the arrow passing through and hitting a wall, hitting something inside the target, or the target falling over and breaking the arrows?

I was shooting my Ovation yesterday and managed to destroy 2 arrows due to faulty targets. Both hits were nowhere near the edge of the targets (they use Morrell squares). Both were in fine condition before shooting and were definitely destroyed due to the bales.

I'm just curious. I'm not going to at the shop, the owner is a great guy. I'm just curious how you guys would handle it?
    shoot at your own risk,,if the bales look good to you they must have looked good to the owner also...i would tell him about the bales and if he writes it off and does nothing to fix the problem just tell him your not shooting till there fixed.Make a big point of telling all the others,,,if hes making money off of this he will fix it..

It has never happened to me, but if I were concerned about it, I would ask how secure the targets are and if they have some sorta policy on broken arrows due to faulty targets BEFORE I start shooting.

If you ask before it happens and you both have an understanding, you will not have to have any kind of confrontation and you might not have to go home with broken arrows.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 'SIN'ERGY View Post
    If it is obiously because of the bales I would ask for new arrows. If the owner is the great guy you say he is he will reaplace your arrows and then the bales so it does not happen to anyone else. If you are not gonna ask for new ones at least let him know what happened.
    Yeah I told him what happened, actually he pulled one of the arrows out of the target that was broken and asked if it was damaged before, I just let it go, these PSE Radial X-Weaves aren't nearly as strong as one would expect

The first one I let go... it happens, the second one I said screw it and went home but I'll be back. Its a nice range and the owner is a great guy. Also put my ovation back to specs. the A2A was over 40" long... stupid crappy strings that were on it.
    No I'm not dead

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

I'd say if you hung your target there then it's up to you to inspect it. If it looked good, then why would a shop owner think otherwise? He was cool enough not to charge you and took it out imediately. That's about all you could ask for.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by two_shoes View Post
    I'd say if you hung your target there then it's up to you to inspect it. If it looked good, then why would a shop owner think otherwise? He was cool enough not to charge you and took it out immediately. That's about all you could ask for.
    I agree, I was just curious how my fellow archers would handle it. As mentioned this shop has always been great so I wouldn't dream of demanding they replace my arrows or anything like that.
    No I'm not dead

Its never happened to me but I would say its the price you pay. If it happened alot then I would not be shooting there anymore without my arrows paid for. I would definately say something to them so they know of a problem and can have time to correct.

"HONDA"

when you first got into this sport, did you not relize how expensive stuff is???

OH and I told you to go with Maxima's

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    when you first got into this sport, did you not relize how expensive stuff is???

OH and I told you to go with Maxima's
    Nope, to be honest I didn't :P

It wasn't till I decided shooting 3d's would be fun... now its too late
    No I'm not dead

Thats why they sale them by the dozen. I have some so called Buddy's that wont let me keep 12 new arrows. they try and Robbin hood one at every shoot. if they dont I'll miss or something and go home with 11 every time.
    No if's and or but's Just Maybee.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee-R View Post
    Thats why they sale them by the dozen. I have some so called Buddy's that wont let me keep 12 new arrows. they try and Robbin hood one at every shoot. if they dont I'll miss or something and go home with 11 every time.
    Are'nt buddys great.

"HONDA"

I never really thought about it until last Wed night when arrows were going through a 3-d target and hitting wood in our league. Joe replaced the insert and all was fine, I think. Mine didn't go through since not many people were hitting the 12 ring! HA HA HA Had to put that in there. Anyway, I had one go through another target but it wasn't near the wall and Joe tossed it out after that.

All in all its part of the game...
    Mathews Staff Shooter Northern Dutchess Archery & Sportsman Supply - www.ndarchery.com

TruBall & Axcel & Dead Center Archery Shooter Staff

Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar

I agree that he was nice not to charge you. But after the second one, I'd be buying my own target and shoot in my back yard like I do now.
    Never buy reloads from a man named Stumpy, Lefty or Nub

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I agree that he was nice not to charge you. But after the second one, I'd be buying my own target and shoot in my back yard like I do now.
    I agree but my backyard has been 3 degrees for a few days now.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I agree, I was just curious how my fellow archers would handle it. As mentioned this shop has always been great so I wouldn't dream of demanding they replace my arrows or anything like that.
    Not that it matters to you or anyone else, I think you did the right thing. There are too many asshats that want something for nothing, trying to constantly work people for stuff..... Working retail when young my boss had a plaque that read " Everyone that passes through these doors, brings happiness to this place, Most on the way in.... some one the way out"
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by two_shoes View Post
    Not that it matters to you or anyone else, I think you did the right thing. There are too many asshats that want something for nothing, trying to constantly work people for stuff..... Working retail when young my boss had a plaque that read " Everyone that passes through these doors, brings happiness to this place, Most on the way in.... some one the way out"

thats CLASSIC.........AND OH SO TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post

thats CLASSIC.........AND OH SO TRUE
    I didn't understand it for about a week...... Let's just say it made perfect sense after that....
    -Thomas Jefferson

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Because my bag target is frozen outside... I kicked it the other day and almost broke my foot. my bag target inside is 6 yards and my ceiling isn't high enough to shoot my Ovation inside...

If this issue hasn't happened to you count yourself among the lucky :P
    No I'm not dead