You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Your Thoughts on Arrow Rests???

I have recently purchased a new BowTech Commander and my son and I have been using whisker biscuits since we got into bow hunting. I like the fact that my arrow stays in place and I personally dont hear them like alot of people claim.. But with my new bow,.. I am considering some different options, A close friend has a real nice drop away that is operated by the bow string movement and I really like the looks and performance.

Can some of you Veteran Bow Hunters give me some sugestions on what you prefer to use for your arrow rests? I understand that there is alot of personal preference involved... But Id like to hear what a larger group of hunters think, than the small group in my area.
    Thank you,
    Your suggestions will all be appreciated.

Banned

I like the drop aways. It baffels me on how they can actuly work, but I like them.

I really like my Ripcord it is a dropaway but can be locked in the up position and is then a full containment rest also. Shoots great, very quiet, and I got mine at a very good price from my proshop.(Thanks Cody)

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I really like my Ripcord it is a dropaway but can be locked in the up position and is then a full containment rest also. Shoots great, very quiet, and I got mine at a very good price from my proshop.(Thanks Cody)
    yep. What he said..........

I agree with Hoosier, I like the "up" postion of the Ripcord for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
    I agree with Hoosier, I like the "up" postion of the Ripcord for hunting.
    I have not shot the ripcord but I have the Spott Hogg Whammy and it stays up the whole time to and it shoots well...
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

I use a Top Gun Phantom drop away, you don't here many people talk about it, but it is a really nice rest and I replaced all my Trophy Taker with it. I have attached a pic of it. It is really adjustable, very reliable, and can be shot as a drop away or as a fixed prong rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    If I can't hunt in
    heaven, I don't wanna go
    Shoot straight, and aim
    for the 12 ring.

I would HIGHLY recommend trying a drop-away rest from QAD (Quality Archery Designs).

They range from $45 - $120, but the basics are ALL the same. You will still get the FULL containment for hunting purposes, and on a slow let-down it will stay ****ed in the full containment. Definitely worth taking a look at them IMO.

I have a drop away. Out of curiosity, why would you want a rest that drops away but will also stay in the up position? Also, why would you want it to stay up for hunting and drop away I reckon when your target shooting?

Im new to the archery "techy" stuff. Have just been slaying deer with the same setup for 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by NealLauderman View Post
    I have a drop away. Out of curiosity, why would you want a rest that drops away but will also stay in the up position? Also, why would you want it to stay up for hunting and drop away I reckon when your target shooting?

Im new to the archery "techy" stuff. Have just been slaying deer with the same setup for 5 years
    It is a dropaway rest. It can be locked in the up postition before shooting, while your waiting in the stand or stalking helping keep the arrow on the rest. Then when you draw the bow the cable pulls the rest cord a little more and it drops just like if you did not have it locked in the up position.

"HONDA"

Default Qad!

It is a dropaway rest. It can be locked in the up postition before shooting, while your waiting in the stand or stalking helping keep the arrow on the rest. Then when you draw the bow the cable pulls the rest cord a little more and it drops just like if you did not have it locked in the up position.
    cant beat a QAD,best thing since blue berry pie..................
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Quote Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
    cant beat a QAD,best thing since blue berry pie..................
    I think your confused.................its best thing since sliced bread.

"HONDA"

I prefer the Biscuit, I am a firm believer in the KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid) method. I have used several drop aways, and never had one fail, but It would be my luck that the dang thing would pop a cable or something when I have a 170+ deer in front of me. I shoot the Biscuit for hunting and a TT Spring Steel or a Pro Tuner for target JMHO...

I've been shooting the WB for about 2 years and I recently purchased my first drop away (QAD Ultra Rest Pro) and it definitely is a great rest. I think they both have their pros and cons but it's worth giving the drop away a try IMHO. I'm not convinced that i won't keep a rig with a WB around just for hunting though.....it's hard to argue with HCAman's thinkin. The QAD still has full containment but it does let the arrow flop around more than the WB and i keep thinking that the nock could come off the string easier on the drop away when i'm creeping through the bushes stalking a little piggy or something. It took me a little longer to get my drop away tuned than it does a WB also. Not saying i'm not satisfied with my drop away, i love it, it's just a different animal.

I say give it a go....you'll never know until you try it for yourself.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
    Quickstand Archery
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
    God's Country Outdoors

I love my trophy taker. I have one on each of my bows. Its made my grouping tighter. I've hunted with one for three years now and have never had a problem.

ahhhhh that makes sense! I have a trophy taker but have a little thing on my bow that holds the arrow in so it wont fall.

Don't Get Me Wrong here guys, I think the drop away rests are great. I have never had a failure with any of them either. The TT is a bullet proof rest, But I know my luck when it comes to huntin'. The only real problem I have had is tuning them with older single cam bows that don't have good nock travel.

Default Rest

I'm shooting the Qad Ultra rest Pro HD and I agree it's one of the best and it's also full containment ,just like the whisker bisquit.

nubo

I like my drop away because it ensures no vane contact.
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar

I've tried drop aways from NAP to Trophy Taker and now have a Qad.

I just don't like them. My favorite rest is the pro tuner. It goes on my 3-d and indoor bows. If I could find a way to keep my arrow from falling off of it during hunting I would use it.

I am going back to the old Quicktune 750. Never had any problems with it and I don't have to worry about it failing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never buy reloads from a man named Stumpy, Lefty or Nub

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm