You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Barbequed Venison?

I have a pretty large venison ham I'm thinking about braising in some venison broth I made, bottled barbeque sauce, onion, garlic (of course!), maybe a beer. Throw it all in my big dutch oven and let it cook a few hours. Whadya think? Any suggestions? Opinions?

BTW, I'm pretty new to this site, but I love it. Tons of good pointers for a new archer like me. You folks are terrific!

What time do we eat?!!!!!!

Default C'mon over!

Sunday night, about 7:00. We'll save a plate for ya.

Default sound's

Quote Originally Posted by MTColl28734 View Post
    I have a pretty large venison ham I'm thinking about braising in some venison broth I made, bottled barbeque sauce, onion, garlic (of course!), maybe a beer. Throw it all in my big dutch oven and let it cook a few hours. Whadya think? Any suggestions? Opinions?

BTW, I'm pretty new to this site, but I love it. Tons of good pointers for a new archer like me. You folks are terrific!
    Awesome, i wish i could come over to eat.
    Your makin my mouth water over here
    Another to try that i use is take the roast,first soak it in vinigar and water (drives the blood out) cut long deep cuts in it down to almost seperateing it.
    slits about 1inch apart, onion and garlic pepper real hard and 1 lb of hardwood thick slice bacon across the top.
    tie it back togeather, put it in alluminum foil, I Icehouse beer over the top and a small vint hole in the top middle.
    Put in a dutch oven of grill or conv oven, heat real low no more than 300 for about 2 to 3 hrs and check.
    Mouth waterin
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    Awesome, i wish i could come over to eat.
    Your makin my mouth water over here
    Another to try that i use is take the roast,first soak it in vinigar and water (drives the blood out) cut long deep cuts in it down to almost seperateing it.
    slits about 1inch apart, onion and garlic pepper real hard and 1 lb of hardwood thick slice bacon across the top.
    tie it back togeather, put it in alluminum foil, I Icehouse beer over the top and a small vint hole in the top middle.
    Put in a dutch oven of grill or conv oven, heat real low no more than 300 for about 2 to 3 hrs and check.
    Mouth waterin
    man... i think you need to show he how to cook.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganHunter View Post
    man... i think you need to show he how to cook.
    Yeah guys, when do we eat ????

Kbo, that sounds excellent...

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

for beer you should try Newcastle Ale, it was such a great flavor when you let the meat marinade in it. i just love the stuff for cooking, and it drinks pretty good too. my grandmomma even likes it

Default Lagered Buck (Oven and Grill directions)

I have also used this on wild turkey. The only real secret is to slow cook wild game, the spices can be changed to suit personal taste.

Soak the venison or turkey in the fridge overnight in brine to draw the blood out of the meat. Rinse well and flex cuts of meat (or just poke a few times with a fork) in a new clean plastic container mix the following (per 1 pound of meat):

Rub

1 tablespoon of Onion Powder
    2 teaspoons of Savory
    2 teaspoons of Paprika (I use the Spicy Hungarian Paprika)
    1 teaspoon of White Pepper
    1 tsp. dried Basil leaves
    1/2 tsp. dried Thyme leaves

Mix spices and rub onto meat covering all sides. Let meat rest for at least 1 hour in refrigerator before adding the liquids below (don't worry if the Rub washes off the meat):

1 bottle of Yeungling Lager
    1/2 cup Water

Let meat marinade at least 6 hours or overnight in fridge.

Oven

3 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil

Remove meat from marinade and pat dry. Sear the roast in a heavy skillet (cast iron is the best) in Vegetable Oil.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the meat in a roasting pan or on a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil if you are not using an oven-safe skillet. Cover roasting pan with top or seal with foil. If on a sheet of heavy duty foil, fold it over and seal it. Make it an air-tight package. Bake until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours for a 2 1/2 to 3 lb roast.

Grilling

Place the prepared meat on the gas grill and save your kitchen from high heat. Set the control of the gas grill at "low", cover the grill and cook for about 3 hours or until done. If charcoal grill, and there is no top, make a tent with foil.

Allow meat to rest after cooking for at least 12 minutes. Unwrap, slice and serve.

Enjoy!

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

how close to bristol tn are you. sounds wonderful
    I prefeer a red wine insteasd of beer. gives it a more sweeter taste
    i would persoanlly put in some butter ,and a little liquid smoke or somke in hickory or apple chips and a little oinion powder,. KBO suggestion of bacon is always warranted.
    enjoy
    do you shoot in any of the cirucuits round the mnt empire Damascus or tri citys.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

It all sounds great to me fellas...