You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default New bow questions

I'm new to bow hunting. I just purchased a fred bear sparrowhawk II which I plan to use for hunting in the fall for deer. I wasn't sure if this would be the right bow for me. Let me give you a break down. The bow is 24-28 draw length and 40-50 lbs draw weight. I'm a big guy at 6-3 and 260 lbs. from what I was told. I need a bow with a draw of 28-29 inches but I'm not sure if this bow will fit me right. Any help would be appreciate. From the reviews of this bow it looks like a younger hunters bow or womans bow??

Quote Originally Posted by dubnvento View Post
    I'm new to bow hunting. I just purchased a fred bear sparrowhawk II which I plan to use for hunting in the fall for deer. I wasn't sure if this would be the right bow for me. Let me give you a break down. The bow is 24-28 draw length and 40-50 lbs draw weight. I'm a big guy at 6-3 and 260 lbs. from what I was told. I need a bow with a draw of 28-29 inches but I'm not sure if this bow will fit me right. Any help would be appreciate. From the reviews of this bow it looks like a younger hunters bow or womans bow??
    The specs on it appear to be for smaller framed people. At 6'3" I'd guess you'd need at least a 30" bow and at 260lbs, you'll probably be more than comfortable hunting with 60 - 70 lbs. I'd guess the draw on it is at least 1 1/2" short for you.

You'll progress much faster and enjoy yourself a lot more if you get a bow that fits properly. Good luck....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

I think your dead on. I did have my draw length taken by a archery dealer and they said I would use a 29" draw length. When I did it, I came up with
    28". I should proably trust the dealer. Ideally I think I should have bought a 50-70 pound draw weight so I can adjust as I improve as an archer. Anything else I should look for? I pretty decided on selling the bow I just bought and buying something that meets my needs more.

I think selling that bow and getting something with a longer max draw and a heavier draw weight would be a good idea. Unless you have really short arms, you are at least a 29" draw!
    Hook 'Em Horns

My draw is between 28.5 and 29" and I'm 5' 11" and 63/64ths of an inch tall.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps