You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Practice

Default Practice

After 17 year hiatus from bow hunting I came back last year and started shooting again. I shoot two to three times a week and after almost a year I am sort of frustrated with my ability. At 30 yrds I can put 6 out of ten arrows in a 4 in. circle but the other four very from high, low left and right. I've read books on form and really want to improve my shooting. Any input would help. I know that part of it is more practice but any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

First off how many arrows are you shooting in each round??? Meaning do you shoot all ten every round or a few and then go retrieve?
    I cut things up and split them down!

I shoot ten a round and at present shoot four rounds before fatigue and my my accuracy starts to fade. Last year I bought a Martin Phantom II, which I know is not the top of the line bow but last year didn't want to fork out big bucks until I was sure I was comitted. I hope to upgrade later this spring. I have the bow tuned to 65#.

Are you allowing your self time inbetween each shot to relax, I shoot no more than five arrows in a round before retreiving. Used to shoot alot of arrows all at once but was recking alot of fletchings and shafts also my consistancy was lacking because was getting fatigued. Can you adjus your bow down a few more pounds? I shoot 60-64 lbs on most of my bows and can just about shoot all day long. what is your let off %?

Default me too

im just getting back into shooting after an extended vacation (which was really not needed to begin with) and past 20 yards I suck with my groups but alot of mine is well i dont wanna say the word but I will abbreviate it T.P. cause if I dont think about the movement of my sights just shooting a proper form and release I will shoot good groups so I just gotta work on getting my shots in there then try getting my sight where I want the shots later

We all know the first stepin curring target panick is admitting that you have it, so your well on your way to fixing it.

Default Yep

I have had a touch of that myself. All I know is never thought my brain would get in the way of anything. I have been doing alot of blind bailing and it is helping alot hopefully it cures it but Don't think there is a sure fire cure. So good luck with your problem we all know the feeling. I am also thinking of trying a BT release that would definately mess with my brain. Cause they scare the crap out of me Oh well maybe.

Frank

"HONDA"

For one thing, shooting ten arrows at a time is too much. Try cutting down to three or four. And try concentrating on one arrow at a time. The only one that counts is the one in the bow. Concentrate on shooting good repeatable form and not groups. You get your form down to a tee and group size will take care of itself. Accept the fact that you are going to get flyers once in a while,, no matter how good you get.

I would also work on adjusting the bow in minute stages so that it fits you just right. Most guys don't realize it but even 1/8" difference in drawlength can make a huge difference in accuracy. And if you err do it on the short side. It's better to have a bow a little short on draw vs long.

And like a lot of guys you are shooting a little too much weight. If you are working on accuracy then about 60# is as much as anybody can handle for an extended time. And shooting less weight lets you work on form and not wrestling with the bow.
    I used to shoot the upper 60's and have learned that I handle a max of 60# much better. I've even started setting the bows for mid 50's and it's much friendlier on the body. Doing this along with shooting only a couple arrows at a time I am able to literally shoot for hours, with short breaks here and there. Afterall, it's supposed to be fun so what's the hurry?

You get the bow set up right and get your form down and soon you won't be able to group shoot three arrows at 30 yards without wrecking them on a fairly consistent basis and 20 yards will seem just plain wastefull of arrows.