You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Pellet Rifle

Site Guru

Default Pellet Rifle

Hey guys, I need some input.

I have 150.00 (xmas gift) for Cabelas, there are a few minor things I need for archery season but nothing I care about at the moment... so I want a Pellet rifle.

It'll be used for shooting in the back yard... primarily at moving objects such as tree rats, rabbits, crows, and whatever else I can bait in that will annoy me.

The 150 limit is very solid, I can throw in a few bucks to cover the tax but I'm not looking at anything that retails above 150.

so which ones should I be looking closely at? I want the closest to a "Real feel" of a gun as opposed to the ones that feel like they are "toys". My dad has a Gamo which feel like I'm shouldering a standard rifle (.22 or .243 type feel). I'd like to keep that feeling as it improves my shooting ability :P (hehe DIE RATS DIE!)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...=4766+51&nyr=1

as it will be used for hunting I obviously need speed, most are in the 1000 fps range, and I'd like to stay in that area
    No I'm not dead

For hunting a .22 caliber pellet rifle really shines over the .177. I know your gift card is for Cabelas but take a look at http://www.compasseco.com/

The Tech Force guns are chinese, but when it comes to a cheap hunting pellet gun they are unbeatable. I have a TF 99 Mag. in .22 cal. I have done some work to mine and I have taken many raccoons & opossums with 1 shot. That right there speaks for itself!

If you have to buy one from Cabelas, def. get a GAMO, they are some great shooters.(had one, sold it and bought two TF's!) I would buy that Varmint Gamo with the scope/laser setup. What is the refurbished all about? Does it still carry the Gamo lifetime warranty? If so I may add another .177 gamo plinker to my collection. Love my .22 for hunting, birds, squirrels, rabbits, rossums, you name it!
    Last edited by tnts79; 02-01-2008 at 12:35 PM.
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

Site Guru

I think its a 90 day warranty on most but for 100+ off the price of the gun its worth it since there is really only like one or 2 things that can go wrong with an air rifle and they are less then 100 to fix.

I'm seriously looking at the Gamo Hunter 440, I want a gun that has iron sights and a scope as scopes break... iron sights... not so much.

Also the rifled steel barrel over the composites, good weight at just under 8 pounds, good price, decent scope, and adjustable trigger... Also comes with a full 1 year warranty. good speed and good overall length.

I'm pretty much sold on it just waiting for more feedback
    No I'm not dead

Gamo's are good for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Hey guys, I need some input.

I have 150.00 (xmas gift) for Cabelas, there are a few minor things I need for archery season but nothing I care about at the moment... so I want a Pellet rifle.

It'll be used for shooting in the back yard... primarily at moving objects such as tree rats, rabbits, crows, and whatever else I can bait in that will annoy me.

The 150 limit is very solid, I can throw in a few bucks to cover the tax but I'm not looking at anything that retails above 150.

so which ones should I be looking closely at? I want the closest to a "Real feel" of a gun as opposed to the ones that feel like they are "toys". My dad has a Gamo which feel like I'm shouldering a standard rifle (.22 or .243 type feel). I'd like to keep that feeling as it improves my shooting ability :P (hehe DIE RATS DIE!)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...=4766+51&nyr=1

as it will be used for hunting I obviously need speed, most are in the 1000 fps range, and I'd like to stay in that area

"You'll shoot your eye out with that"-- sorry it's the first thing I thought of

I never shot any - so I can't help. But I have to imagin any scope that comes with those guns can't be worth much and probably will break easly?

I have a Gamo Hunter 440 and I like it. Mine is .177 caliber though. I bought mine referbished and it does have a lifetime warranty. I've had it about 3 years...

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    I have a Gamo Hunter 440 and I like it. Mine is .177 caliber though. I bought mine referbished and it does have a lifetime warranty. I've had it about 3 years...

Ron
    How is the accuracy?
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    How is the accuracy?
    When I was selling sporting goods 10 tears ago, I had a guy claim he could shoot 2" and under groups at 100 yds with his. He upgraded the scope, though.

I didn't know if I believed him or not......

I hit what I aim at...
    I took off the ironTru-Glo sights and put a scope on it.

The barrel is one heavy, well built piece. The stock feels like a good .22 in your hands. It's nothing fancy but it's well built and shoots really well.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

I shoot a RWS model 54 air king, it is recoiless, and the scope stays put after
    installing.

I have some experience with the lower end stuff, and keeping a scope of a rifle thet recoils forward is a tough situation, buy the best mounting system you can afford and then check it often.

Back to the model 54, I use this for small game and pest around the house,
    I have taken stuff at over 60 yards pretty consistent, but the muzzle blast is
    almost as loud as a 22 LR, so it is not a silent killer.

The Model 54 is a little pricey, but it is worth it to me.

Sorry to Hi jack, but in some things you really get what you pay for.

I have one and it kicks butt! I've killed three woodchucks with it one shot each double lunged them! be carefull these puppy's drill holes. I shot at my Blue ridge deer target and it went right through and broke one of the tail lights on my boat trailer .
    Jennings Uniforce 70lbs
    overdraw
    XX75 2216's (26")
    Muzzy 100 3 blade.
    FBSA PROUD MEMBER.
    President of the DickyDoo club.

gamo I got one from wal-mart for $120 .177 cal. 1000 ftps exstreamly accurate better then my rws and my beeman
    PSE X-FORCE

Not to hijack this thread... I've got both the gamo pellet rifle and the gamo air shotgun. The shotgun is a blast (No pun intended) Anyone else ever played around with one?