You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member southern_rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Henderson, TX
    Posts
    27

    Default problems sighting in

    when sighting in a new bow or sight for that matter. what pin is the best to start with. i plan on shooting no further than 30 so i figured on 10, 20, & 30 yards. my sight is a tru glo xtreme series standard model with 5 pins. i figured i could do 15, & 25 yards with the 2 other pins. i know to follow the arrow but was wondering if the top pin is for shorter yardages or would the bottom be best for shorter yardage. all information will be greatly appreciated. when i shoot i hit the center dot but i have to aim about a foot high to go this.
    Last edited by southern_rebel; 02-02-2008 at 02:02 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southern_rebel View Post
    when sighting in a new bow or sight for that matter. what pin is the best to start with. i plan on shooting no further than 30 so i figured on 10, 20, & 30 yards. my sight is a tru glo xtreme series standard model with 5 pins. i figured i could do 15, & 25 yards with the 2 other pins. i know to follow the arrow but was wondering if the top pin is for shorter yardages or would the bottom be best for shorter yardage. all information will be greatly appreciated. when i shoot i hit the center dot but i have to aim about a foot high to go this.
    if this is a hunting set up it would be cool depending on the following:
    What type of cams ,bow and how many # are you pulling
    do you know your arrow speed.

    I will have a better Idea how to advise.



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  3. #3
    Junior Member southern_rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Henderson, TX
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    if this is a hunting set up it would be cool depending on the following:
    What type of cams ,bow and how many # are you pulling
    do you know your arrow speed.

    I will have a better Idea how to advise.
    dont know arrow speed just yet. i got the mathews dxt so its a solo cam pulling 60# 27.5 DL. i got it centered up left to right no problem just having problems with hitting where im aiming up & down. like i said to hit the center dot i have to aim about a foot high. i have reset everything back to factory except for the left to right so im hoping monday ill get to get her sighted. gotta say that im happy with my choice in bows.
    Bow - Mathews DXT (27.5" DL, 60# DW)
    Sights - TruGlo Xtreme Series
    Rest - Rip Cord Drop Away
    Quiver - Kwikee 6 Arrow
    Stablizer - Sims Mini S-Coil
    Arrows - Beman ICS Elite
    Broadheads - Muzzy 3 Blade 125 grain

  4. #4
    Senior Member MoSkeeter0311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I
    Posts
    750

    Default

    I only hunt with my bow. (Even tho' I shoot it all year long) On my setup (27.5 at 60#'s) I only really use 2 Pins. A 20yd. and a 30 yd. IMO, using all 5 puts the pins to close together and they blur out. I do have a 40yd. Pin set up also but rarely use it. I've eliminated my other pins. The top pin being my 20yd. Practising on outdoor ranges at differant yardages you'll get the feel of your bow and arrow/site placement. I haven't had a deer yet that was kind enough to only stop at 10yd. increments. My advice on hunting (depending on the type of terrain you hunt) is to set the pins at 20yrds and 30yrds. at known ranges distances and then spend as much time as possible at outdoor ranges that you can walk thru (similiar to 3D ranges) and practise your shots at various unknown distances, angles and heights. You'll eventually get the feel of your bow and learn your site placement to allow for the arrow flight. The more practise you get, the better off you'll be. REMEMBER to shoot at all angles. Shooting uphill or from elevated areas (tree stands) can be tricky Good luck, Welcome to the site and Practise, Practise, Practise. You owe it to yourself, the sport and especially to the game you hunt. But , again, remember, this is only my opinion. Also TOP pin is for shorter yardage.

    Last edited by MoSkeeter0311; 02-02-2008 at 06:21 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Norwalk Wi
    Posts
    707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southern_rebel View Post
    when sighting in a new bow or sight for that matter. what pin is the best to start with. i plan on shooting no further than 30 so i figured on 10, 20, & 30 yards. my sight is a tru glo xtreme series standard model with 5 pins. i figured i could do 15, & 25 yards with the 2 other pins. i know to follow the arrow but was wondering if the top pin is for shorter yardages or would the bottom be best for shorter yardage. all information will be greatly appreciated. when i shoot i hit the center dot but i have to aim about a foot high to go this.
    You definantly have to use the top pin for short yardage and proceed down the sight with pins for longer yardages.
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

  6. #6
    Evil Genius brokenarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson Valley NY
    Posts
    5,305

    Default

    Yep...top pin is short yardages...

    you shouldn't need a 10 pin that bow should be a flat shooter to 20 yrds...
    I'd say pull some pins out of the sight if its for hunting...set up a 20-30...
    alot of guys will set 1 pin at 25...

    if you are gonna shoot 3D go with 20-30-40...the more pins the higher your chances of shooting the wrong pin...JMO...


  7. #7
    get'n rid of target panic STRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Yep...top pin is short yardages...

    you shouldn't need a 10 pin that bow should be a flat shooter to 20 yrds...
    I'd say pull some pins out of the sight if its for hunting...set up a 20-30...
    alot of guys will set 1 pin at 25...

    if you are gonna shoot 3D go with 20-30-40...the more pins the higher your chances of shooting the wrong pin...JMO...
    He just took the words right of my mouth.
    .

    Carbon Matrix

    Certified NASP Instructor

  8. #8
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,713

    Default

    Thats what I figgered
    use tha 1 st pin for 20 2-30 3 -35 -4 -40
    I like a 35 yrd pin it elimanates a lot of holding real high out
    especially if yore planning on shootin' 3d
    most of tha shots are from 28-36 yrds
    now that 35 pin comes in really handy here.



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  9. #9
    Junior Member southern_rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Henderson, TX
    Posts
    27

    Default

    gonna take my mathews in to get the peep readjusted in the morning. ive tried everything i can think of and still cant get it sighted in. no matter what i do i have to shoot the bottom pin to hit the target. so i called the pro shop i bought the bow from and they told me the peep needs to be readjusted so i'll let yall if it works out for me.
    Bow - Mathews DXT (27.5" DL, 60# DW)
    Sights - TruGlo Xtreme Series
    Rest - Rip Cord Drop Away
    Quiver - Kwikee 6 Arrow
    Stablizer - Sims Mini S-Coil
    Arrows - Beman ICS Elite
    Broadheads - Muzzy 3 Blade 125 grain

  10. #10
    Junior Member southern_rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Henderson, TX
    Posts
    27

    Default

    got my dxt back friday & had the day off from work today & did some arrow slinging. i shoot 3 arrows at a time so i dont loose track of which arrow hit where. towards the end of the day i ended up shooting 1 1/2 inch groups twice in a row. dont figure thats to bad. just need to fine tune my sights now but i take into consideration that i had a pretty good cross wind today also. but im hitting low and to the left about 3 to 4 inches. i know i need to adjust my sights down and left; just waiting on a day thats not so windy.
    Bow - Mathews DXT (27.5" DL, 60# DW)
    Sights - TruGlo Xtreme Series
    Rest - Rip Cord Drop Away
    Quiver - Kwikee 6 Arrow
    Stablizer - Sims Mini S-Coil
    Arrows - Beman ICS Elite
    Broadheads - Muzzy 3 Blade 125 grain

  11. #11
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southern_rebel View Post
    got my dxt back friday & had the day off from work today & did some arrow slinging. i shoot 3 arrows at a time so i dont loose track of which arrow hit where. towards the end of the day i ended up shooting 1 1/2 inch groups twice in a row. dont figure thats to bad. just need to fine tune my sights now but i take into consideration that i had a pretty good cross wind today also. but im hitting low and to the left about 3 to 4 inches. i know i need to adjust my sights down and left; just waiting on a day thats not so windy.
    If your planning on shootin' 3d you will need ta practice in tha wind cause tha wind don't be still just because there is a shoot
    everybody else has to shoot it to
    just let tha bow float in tha wind till ya got a good bead on tha target and remember ta keep tha form consistant while dealing with tha wind



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Similar Threads

  1. problems
    By cowboy50 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 12:02 PM
  2. problems II
    By aljo in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 05:50 PM
  3. Need Sighting in Help
    By OB1.25 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
  4. Bow tec problems
    By ridgewalker243 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 09:29 PM
  5. Sighting in a pendulem
    By nokpoint in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 06:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •