You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Scope w/ no pin or dot

Shooting a scope w/ no pin or aiming dot, just centering the scope on the spot you want to hit.

Been hearing about this more and more recently and it sounds intriguing.

I would like to give this a try, advise from those who've tried it or are currently setup like this would be great.
    Be good or be good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post
    Shooting a scope w/ no pin or aiming dot, just centering the scope on the spot you want to hit.

I would like to give this a try, advise from those who've tried it or are currently setup like this would be great.
    I do not but I shoot with some guys the have a circle in there scope. They center it.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

I have shot with just a circle in the middle of my scope...I now have a dot in the middle of the circle. I want to try a true spot scope though...
    Hook 'Em Horns

I think your talking about a true spot lense.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Slippy for President! Doc Holliday's Avatar

I use a circle on my scope lens and center it on the target, but wouldn't a scope housing be just a little too big to center?
    Never buy reloads from a man named Stumpy, Lefty or Nub

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

I have a staff shooter that shoots just the way you describe and he is not using a truespot lens either. I've never tried it but it works for him. I do have a couple of guys that are using the truespots that come into the shop and shoot.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I have a staff shooter that shoots just the way you describe and he is not using a truespot lens either. I've never tried it but it works for him. I do have a couple of guys that are using the truespots that come into the shop and shoot.
    They are sweet, but I couldn't just buy a truespot lens and fit it into my black eagle scope...or could I
    Hook 'Em Horns

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    I think your talking about a true spot lense.....
    Like Chris said. No true spot, No circle sticker or cross hair, just a plain regular lens. You use a peep size just large enough to see the inner housing on the scope and can see their level, then focus just on the spot they want to hit.
    Be good or be good at it.

Like Chris said. No true spot, No circle sticker or cross hair, just a plain regular lens. You use a peep size just large enough to see the inner housing on the scope and can see their level, then focus just on the spot they want to hit.
    yeah i dont know if I could do that
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    yeah i dont know if I could do that
    I definitely know I could not do that......no I would be all over the place
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

Old and Experienced

Default No Dot

I am shooting the Speciality Archery dual power lens. It has a center lens that is 6 power with the outer lens a 2 power. You can get these in different sizes and powers. I have no dot, pin ,or circle on it. When looking at the nfaa 5 spot target all I can see is the white 5 ring. On the VEgas target Ijust see the yellow. I just center the X in the scope and it is VERY clear. No pin or dot to try to focus on. Just focus on the X. You can pretty much do the same thing with using a circle on your scope lens instead of a dot or pin.

How do you know where to put the x at the different yardages? Seems as if you would need a fast bow to use this scope. Please explain how to aim when shooting a 20 yd target and a 45 yd target. I do like the sound of this concept.

Quote Originally Posted by jp20 View Post
    How do you know where to put the x at the different yardages? Seems as if you would need a fast bow to use this scope. Please explain how to aim when shooting a 20 yd target and a 45 yd target. I do like the sound of this concept.
    I've heard of people using these center magnified scopes for indoor or field rounds. I've never heard of anyone using them for 3D. You really need something to focus on with them.

I have however heard of people using a clean lens with no markings at all for 3D. They just let their mind center the scope on where they think the 10 ring is and fire away.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Old and Experienced

Default Jp20

JP most when using the scope we are talking about are shooting spots at 20 yards. However some including myself have shot 3-d with the same setup. You move your whole site for different yardages and you always focus on what you are wanting to hit. There is no X on the scope lens. The X I was refering to was the X on the target.

Sorry. You had me confused with an x being on the lens. It makes sense now.