You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Ugh..computer tech support for internet..(long)

Well, my internet connect at home has been down for 4 days. Finally got it working again. I had to diagnose this stuff myself so I could help them fix it.

What gives. It was working fine and then nothing. So of course I call. The current cable company is merging with another. They sent a letter stating there may be some temporary interuptions. So I figured it would be up an hour or at least the next morning.

Well, the first person says, there is something wrong with your modem. What!? I've only had this one about a year. So I start doing some checking. I can access the "old cable" companies email server, but nothing else. This is not a modem problem.

Wait another day, still not fixed. I call again. There is a problem with the service in your area. It's not just you. We don't know whats wrong, we don't know how long you will be down, we have noted the problem for a technician. Will I get a call back on this, no.

Another day. I call the neighbors, theirs works fine. Ugh. I call tech support. Finally she says, let me put you through to the next level techs. So I think maybe we are getting somewhere.

I explain to the new girl what is happening. I tell here what is happeing with tracert and accessing the old cable company website. She says ok let me check a couple things. She says I can't see your modem so let me check a couple other things...please hold... Muzak on hold....

I notice the lights on the modem flash for a reboot. Before she even comes back, she has it working.

Why did it take 4 days and 4 phone calls to get someone who knew what the heck they were doing.

Don't they know, I go through withdrawls and DTs without Inet access at home.
    Last edited by Chris; 02-17-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

well boys, now we have to be have again........
    I cut things up and split them down!

Just be happy it was on their end. I unplug my modem periodically (with computer off) to let it re-set itself. Don't know if this really helps but was told to by one of the TOP computer geeks for Anheuser-Busch where I worked before I retired. Starting to get worried about one of my computers now. The one I use for everything except photography. Once in a while when I turn it own it takes a few efforts to start up and then after using "start up from last known good configuration" I get a message saying 'Recovered from a serious system error". Must be time for a new one but don't want go to Vista. Got me scared but I do have backups for most of my main stuff. Trouble is my Photography computer is a Mac and some of the stuff I have on here won't work with a Mac. I have a data base (much like they have at video stores) with over a 1000 movies I have collected (Movie nut) and it's not compatable with Mac and I sure would hate to re-enter all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    well boys, now we have to be have again........
    Oh, I know Wheely was watching you closely while I was gone.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Oh, I know Wheely was watching you closely while I was gone.
    Hey Chris, Wheely probably isnt the best one to be keeping an EYE on BUNNY

Quote Originally Posted by MoSkeeter0311 View Post
    Just be happy it was on their end. I unplug my modem periodically (with computer off) to let it re-set itself. Don't know if this really helps but was told to by one of the TOP computer geeks for Anheuser-Busch where I worked before I retired. Starting to get worried about one of my computers now. The one I use for everything except photography. Once in a while when I turn it own it takes a few efforts to start up and then after using "start up from last known good configuration" I get a message saying 'Recovered from a serious system error". Must be time for a new one but don't want go to Vista. Got me scared but I do have backups for most of my main stuff. Trouble is my Photography computer is a Mac and some of the stuff I have on here won't work with a Mac. I have a data base (much like they have at video stores) with over a 1000 movies I have collected (Movie nut) and it's not compatable with Mac and I sure would hate to re-enter all the info.
    you can still get XP on Dells.....

well the cable here about 1 to 2 times a day sends out a signal to screw the routers up. (IP address).
    They are trying to sell home networking packages. Well I have voice over IP phone through Vonage. So I have to have a router. Plus I have my puter running wireless and 2 others hard wired. We have to reset the router at less 1 time a day.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Glad to hear you have it working again. But all this tech talk in confusing me.

"HONDA"

Well I have been struggling for the last 3 days with my internet connection. If you call Embarq's technical support line they have a recorded message that says customers in Indiana are experiencing slow internet speeds ( no sherlock) anyhow they told me it should be fixed in 24 to 48 hours that was almost 3 days ago... If I have to call again tomorrow I am gonna tell em that since my DSL connection is only running at half the speed it's supposed to I am only gonna pay half the price of the bill. I think that's only fair... Oh and I will make sure I will get that right out in the next 24 to 48 hours..
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

I was online this morning and the server went out and then the computer just shut down. No reason that it should have done it but it did. All seems well now but we will see.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lungcutter View Post
    I was online this morning and the server went out and then the computer just shut down. No reason that it should have done it but it did. All seems well now but we will see.
    that makes no sense unless you have a 3rd party program which has the "turn off when finished" option checked.

Chris, at least you weren't talking to india!
    No I'm not dead

i had the same problem last week. i called 4 differnt times. finally on the 4th time this guy finally sent someone out and fixed it. the other 3 people basicly told me they would reset the server and it would fix it. didnt work. 3 times in a row. the 4th guy tried to do the same thing untill i told him they hade done that 3 times already and fix the thing already. it got fixed quick after that. and i complaned got my reduced for the time it was down.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

can't think of how many times i've had to have a next level tech and re re explain the problem only to figure it out before they do .. i love google...

dodgensince74

Quote Originally Posted by MoSkeeter0311 View Post
    That is why I am getting an external HD, that way I can back up all my stuff just in case.

i have an external hd and love the thing. you can back up your entire computer on them and you can take it anywere.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!