You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question 4" feathers vs 4" Vanes

Those of you who have tried both, which one do you like better and why? I like to try different things (maybe too much ) and I want to try some and see what happens. How are they in flight, noise and weight compared to the 4" vane?

I currently shoot a 420gr arrow.....(6gr per lb of draw weight) so 70x6= 420
    Would the feathers make weight for me? Do they adhere to arrow wraps?

Thanks for your help guys...

i have no idea .... but
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

They will slow then down a little I think. They will last longer and more forgiving in the woods. They are a pain in the but to put on.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

I think feathers steer a broadhead better. I use 5".
    Jennings Uniforce 70lbs
    overdraw
    XX75 2216's (26")
    Muzzy 100 3 blade.
    FBSA PROUD MEMBER.
    President of the DickyDoo club.

They create more drag, which in turn slows the arrow down but is more stabilizing. You use this very narrow fletching tape to install them and yes that will stick to wraps. And, yes, they are a pain to put on as QSA mentioned... Once they are stuck though, they are definitely stuck...

A 2" Blazer is 6.2 grains.
    A 4" Gateway parabolic feather weighs half as much, a whopping 3.1 grains.

And I know this to be true since I just measured both of them while responding to this post... That was news to me actually. I knew feathers were lighter but I didn't think by that much.

So, you get a little better FOC and stabilization with feathers but will likely lose a bit of speed because of the increased drag, or maybe not because of the lighter feathers. The chrono will tell all when I can get to that point.

I recently bought some gateway feathers and am doing the experimenting thing myself. I also bought a helical clamp for my fletching jig and am going to do some messing around with that while I'm at it too. I've stripped the Blazers off of 6 of my Fatboys and will be messing around with that stuff this weekend... I'm going to try out 3 wrrows with Blazers, 3 with straight fletch feathers and 3 with helical feathers.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 02-20-2008 at 05:55 PM.
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

VaporTrail Staff Shooter Ohioarcher's Avatar

I prefer feathers, I use 5 inch instead of 4 inch. Feathers do slow down the speed a little but not enough to notice. The feathers stink in wet weather, however; during fair weather they are much more forgiving than vanes and they do stabilize the arrow much faster than vanes. As for noise, not sure I've never really compared them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioarcher View Post
    I prefer feathers, I use 5 inch instead of 4 inch. Feathers do slow down the speed a little but not enough to notice. The feathers stink in wet weather, however; during fair weather they are much more forgiving than vanes and they do stabilize the arrow much faster than vanes. As for noise, not sure I've never really compared them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    They create more drag, which in turn slows the arrow down but is more stabilizing. You use this very narrow fletching tape to install them and yes that will stick to wraps. And, yes, they are a pain to put on as QSA mentioned... Once they are stuck though, they are definitely stuck...

A 2" Blazer is 6.2 grains.
    A 4" Gateway parabolic feather weighs half as much, a whopping 3.1 grains.

And I know this to be true since I just measured both of them while responding to this post... That was news to me actually. I knew feathers were lighter but I didn't think by that much.

So, you get a little better FOC and stabilization with feathers but will likely lose a bit of speed because of the increased drag, or maybe not because of the lighter feathers. The chrono will tell all when I can get to that point.

I recently bought some gateway feathers and am doing the experimenting thing myself. I also bought a helical clamp for my fletching jig and am going to do some messing around with that while I'm at it too. I've stripped the Blazers off of 6 of my Fatboys and will be messing around with that stuff this weekend... I'm going to try out 3 wrrows with Blazers, 3 with straight fletch feathers and 3 with helical feathers.

Ron
    Cool...lots of info there. Appreciate it. Let me know how your test's work out..

I'm putting feathers on my indoor arrows. Blazers all the way for hunting.

"HONDA"

Default yep

I use both, Gateway,4inch and vanes
    They both have there pro's and con's
    Back in the day before drop-away rest all i shot was feathers to make sure they cleared the fixed rest
    But today i still shoot them off the recurve and im getting ready to check some out on my target bow but need to crono 1 first
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A