You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    IChim2 and he's a shooter IChim2's Avatar

Default How do you feel about neighbors that...

thinks it's ok for their dogs to run loose all over your yard/property.We have 8 acres of heavly wooded land and our house is right in the middle of it and last week i had to do something i hate which is drive to neighboring houses and tell 3 different owners that if their dog came back down,what would happen...and i was as nice about it as possible.One morning last week 2 different neghbors dogs came down and jumped on my beagle that is on a cable and he couldn't get away from them so i grabed the 410 and when i opened the back door they ran up in the woods a ways and i shot a few feet over their head and they ran back towards their homes.I drove up to the owners and told each of them what happened and as much as i hated,if it happened again....it wouldn't be a scare off shot.I couldn't believe what both owners said,which was...were sorry about that,but don't make a mistake of shooting our dogs and went on to say that they hate to pen/tie them up because dogs should get to run and shouldn't be confined a pen or chain.I than told them that i love my pets as much as anyone,but we also respect other peoples property and we keep them in our own yard...and this went back and forth for a bit and when i understood that being nice wasn't going to change anything...i just said to all 3 partys that if it happens again or if they even come down...they won't be comming home.I'm starting to get a complex about people that thinks it's ok for their pets to rome all over other peoples property...sorry.How would some of you reacted to what happened....by the way...they haven't been back,so i guess they took me serious.PS...the 3rd dog just likes to come down at all hours of the night and get into a barking contest with my beagle..which wakes us up at at all hours.
    CSS by MeanV
    FB Truth and a few Dartons.
    FBSA member

well I would not shoot them. That is just leaving yourself open for a law suit. What I would do is call the pound or animal control. Have them picked up. Make sure they know who the owners are. That way they will be fined for letting them run free. You do have a lesh law there right? But if they have to pay to get there dogs back and fines, then they may learn a lesson from it. But if you shoot them, then I hope your dog never gets loose. They will take it is a chance to shoot yours.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

O yes get is rubber buck shot. That will teach the dogs not to come around your house and it want kill anyones dog.
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

i dont think a dog should necessarily be tied up either but thats what kennels are for. i know a guy who took a shot at a dog and got in some big trouble for it. just call animal control or something is my suggestion. its not worth fines lawsuits and the beating your good name will take.

FBSA Member
    http://www.thefbsa.com
    Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second

So what your saying is the dog deserves to die due to the owners, not being responable? WOW real stand up guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QSA View Post
    well I would not shoot them. That is just leaving yourself open for a law suit. What I would do is call the pound or animal control. Have them picked up. Make sure they know who the owners are. That way they will be fined for letting them run free. You do have a lesh law there right? But if they have to pay to get there dogs back and fines, then they may learn a lesson from it. But if you shoot them, then I hope your dog never gets loose. They will take it is a chance to shoot yours.

When I was In junior high neighborhood dogs and strays would come around when my lab was in heat. all it took were a few well placed .22 pellets from my old single shot benjamin to send them running and keep them away. (just 2 pumps by the way, I wasn't going for penetration)
    FBSA-MEMBER
    2007 Black Ice
    Spot Hogg Whammy
    Tru Fire/ Scott hybrid release
    Copper John Dead Nuts II
    Posten FTW
    FOBS

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Agree with those who advise it's time to get the authorities involved.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

If the law doesn't work, and most of the time these type of people will not care about the law, there is always SSS (shoot, shovel, shutup).

To everyone else....I certainly would like to know where your property is since you do not mind tresspassers or interlopers. I sure could use a few more places to hunt
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    If the law doesn't work, and most of the time these type of people will not care about the law, there is always SSS (shoot, shovel, shutup).

To everyone else....I certainly would like to know where your property is since you do not mind tresspassers or interlopers. I sure could use a few more places to hunt
    Money out of there pockets will always work.

what do you want but load of rubber buckshot coming your way. Did you not read my post? I take it you do not have pets. Let me put it this way. I take care of my pets, Fenced in back yard. But the trash man leaves the gate open and my dogs will not leave the fence. But if they did, does that give you the right to shoot them? No They are a member of my family an I will deal with anyone that messes with them just as I would one of my kids.
    There are non lethal ways of dealing with this problem.

Rubber Buckshot
    This will also work on people unwanted on your land also. The courts will see you as a stand up guy for using it. It shows you have enough brains to handle the issues with a strong arm with out used deadly force.
    Now inside my house, or lets say the doors and windows are the kill zone. Once crossed you will be rolled out with a sheet over you, toes up.
    Last edited by QSA; 02-24-2008 at 07:32 AM.

First things first. I respect you for going over to the neighbors and saying your dogs were over at my place (my neighbors didn't they wrote a letter to the municipality). I don't shoot dogs at my house but if I find them in my pasture or in my feedlot they leave only by baler twine around their legs destined for a hole in the ground. I have no problem with my neighbors dog coming over to my yard or in my shop when I am working, in fact I enjoy his friendship as does my Saint Bernard, they love playing together. My neighbor came over to shoot my dog because the dog killed his at, and when I asked if he was sure it was my dog he tried to run over me with his jeep. He said "I'll show you, you think you own the town" and went home and shot the dog (mine was in his kennel watching the hole fiasco. then called the clerk and animal control, police,etc. Turns out he shot someone else dog and the animal control lady told him so nut he said she lied because I am on council. It still seems to be my fault somehow in his eyes and he won't drop it (five years old now).
    There are people who 'hate' dogs and always will. No matter what we do they will never like having them around and will blame dog owners for everything wrong around their place. These people are the one's responsible for us having dog bylaws and animal control at great cost to our municipality not just them. Most dogs alone are not a problem it is when you have two or more you have a pack of dogs and they act different.
    If the dogs come back to your place your message did not get through, make your own decision as to what to do. If they don't come back then you were understood.
    Mathews Switchback 63# 29"
    Victory Arrows and FOBs!

When I was 16, I had a 300 prize winning show rabbits.......they are considered LIVESTOCK in NY, the 2 neihgbors had dogs that always came around and were as nice as could be..........

well it was bound to happen, one day my mom went outside to go to work and there were 2 new dogs and they were attacking the rabbits through the cages and had killed 2 of my better animals........

they became aggressive when my mom tried to chase them away.......I retrieved a 2x4 and broke it of the ones skull.......I still dont know how this dog made it home......

The second DOG was the town Judges dog, I made some phone calls......and within the hour, the judge was at my house in his suit and tie, appologizing and paying me for the animals that were destroyed.....

HE ALSO HAD A LETTER signed by himeself, that said if HIS DOG or any dogs for that matter, came around...........

I HAD FULL RIGHT TO SHOOT TO KILL........and in the envelope with the letter was a copy of the NY STATE LAW, that states, all a DOG has to do is WORRY LIVESTOCK, and you have the right to KILL said dog.....

BY the way these "SHOULD I KILL A DOG COMING ON MY PROPERTY" threads NEVER MAKE IT very long.....

SO HERE IS MY ADVICE..........IF YOU DONT WANT TO WONDER WHERE SPARKY WENT, KEEP THE DAMB THING CHAINED UP........

OH AND THE GUYS THAT DO TAKE MATTERS IN TO THERE OWN HANDS, SHUT UP ABOUT IT AND MAKE SURE YOU KILL IT ON THE FIRST SHOT.......get a shovel, and never speak of it again....

I wont say what happenedto the second dog that recived the blunt force trauma to its skull, BUT I WILL SAY, he came around EXACTLY 1 MORE TIME
    I cut things up and split them down!

Buy a wrist rocket and shoot these dogs in the backend and shout and hollar when you do it. Even chase them. It stopped the neighbors dog from coming over and growling at my kids. I have not seen that dog on my property since. I have seen him walking down the road a few times, when he sees me outside he tucks his tail and runs.

We also had a dog that would climb under the fence to do her business, and the neighbors would just laugh about it. dog crawled under in the same spot, so we made it a very unpleasant experience for the dog to crawl through that hole. The dog now uses the other neighbors property. But they put it on the steps of the dog owner at night.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

dodgensince74

I feel you did right by talking to the owners of the dogs. I would have done the same thing except I would not have hung around to argue, I would just tell them the situation without the "if it happens again part", thanked them for listening and left. If it happened again then they would be worm food, I don't care what anyone says, I would then invoke the SSS rule.
    Everyone has remember if you have a dog or cat its yours, not your nieghbors, if I want another pet I will go out and get my own. So many people say "I love my dog/cat like they were one my kids", well I don't know to many people that condone letting their kids wonder thier neighborhoods any time of the day or night crapping, digging or destroying their nieghbors property or livestock. If you love your pets like you do your kids, then take care of them like you would your kids, keep them under your control and supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgensince74 View Post
    Everyone has remember if you have a dog or cat its yours, not your nieghbors, if I want another pet I will go out and get my own. So many people say "I love my dog/cat like they were one my kids", well I don't know to many people that condone letting their kids wonder thier neighborhoods any time of the day or night crapping, digging or destroying their nieghbors property or livestock. If you love your pets like you do your kids, then take care of them like you would your kids, keep them under your control and supervision.
    this should be a sticky.........AMEN
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by dodgensince74 View Post
    I feel you did right by talking to the owners of the dogs. I would have done the same thing except I would not have hung around to argue, I would just tell them the situation without the "if it happens again part", thanked them for listening and left. If it happened again then they would be worm food, I don't care what anyone says, I would then invoke the SSS rule.
    Great post....

If the animal gets off the chain or out of the pen then thats one thing but if it continually runs loose then thats a completely different matter and the owners should be informed and warned. If its your pet keep it on your property.

"HONDA"

I hate people that let their dogs run loose. Within a block of my house there is a fireman right across the street and a cop a few house down. They are the worst I have ever seen.

I have called and called the humane society and then they will put the dogs up for a few weeks and then they are running loose again.

They are nice guys but they need to keep their darned animals put up. One time after the firemans dog chased an 80 yr. old lady down the street I called the cops and told them they have 5 minutes to get someone over there or I was calling their supervisor.

The cops and animal control were there in 2. When I told the cop that I wanted to something done and I was tired of them not doing anything he replied, " But he's a fireman! "

I said that is nice and I appreciate his service but he has to follow the law just like everyone else. He did get a ticket that time.

One tip. Make sure you take photos. That way there is no dispute.

rick
    No catchy signature here.....

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    So what your saying is the dog deserves to die due to the owners, not being responable? WOW real stand up guy!!!
    I am a stand up person....but when they come down and Jump all over my rabbit dog...i have to do something.I did make calls to the local sheriffs dept and even told them where the owners lived and over a 3 wk period...nothing changed....and i ask them what to do if after talking to the owners and it continued to happen.....they said....we won't tell you what you can and can't do...but you have the right to protect your property.Bullspotter....you honestly think thats it ok for people to let their dogs run loose and chew up some one elses dog that is kept on a cable on their own property....are you really that Arrogant.
    CSS by MeanV
    FBSA member

Folks,...i don't have a problem with the neighbors dogs straying onto my property now and than.....The Problem is when they jump all over My Dog that is on a 20' cable that is attached to his dog house.And i've been as nice as possible going to the owners and trying to talk about it....but apparently they are so ARROGANT that they don't care.
    CSS by MeanV
    FBSA member

If their dogs have the right to roam free, feel free to go into your neighbors house, raid the refrigarator, watch a little t.v. shave in the kitchen sink.See how they feel about that.
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?