You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: questions

Default questions

I originally posted this in another forum but I think it may have been the wrong forum...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live near Black River Falls Wisconsin, small town named Taylor actually. Anyways a friend and I are thinking on joining an archery club to shoot league or whatever the case may be. I have only been shooting for about a year so I am not the best shot in the world but all in all not that bad. There are 3 different Clubs near where I live that I found through the find a shoot deal here. My questions begin with the most basic one of all.
    What questions do I ask when I contact the different clubs in my area?
    Any comments suggestions emails phone calls smoke signals or whatever would be appreciated. Thanks

FBSA Member
    http://www.thefbsa.com
    Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second

I would contact all 3 clubs. Find out if they are open to new members, and what their mebership criteria is. A lot of clubs have a maximum number of members, and they close enrollment when it is reached. See if you can get a guest pass to shoot at the club to get a feel for it. Most clubs let members bring guests, so if you can hook up with a member, you'll be good to go. Basically, research all 3, and go with the club you are most comfortable with.
    Vortex Optics Field Staff
    The Sportsmans Outpost, Wolcott, CT
    Algonquin Archers Inc., Woodbury CT.
    VaporTrail Archery ProStaff
    U.B.C. (United Bowhunters of Connecticut)

Quote Originally Posted by tedicast View Post
    I would contact all 3 clubs. Find out if they are open to new members, and what their mebership criteria is. A lot of clubs have a maximum number of members, and they close enrollment when it is reached. See if you can get a guest pass to shoot at the club to get a feel for it. Most clubs let members bring guests, so if you can hook up with a member, you'll be good to go. Basically, research all 3, and go with the club you are most comfortable with.
    yup, everything he said......

and to add to it, try andgo with the club that offers the most.....meaning, I personally would not belong to a ARCHERY ONLY club......I like to have a place to go shoot my guns, when I feel like it......

so haveing a FIREARMS range is important to me....
    I cut things up and split them down!

The firearms thing wasn't even a consideration for me. We have a very reasonable priced public range about 5 minutes from home. The price of membership to "gun clubs" around here is unreal, and a lot of them are closed to membership. I'll stick to my archery only club. Nice to go on a sunday morning and shoot a round of 3D, or the fiels target course, and not have to listen to the rifles, or the skeet shhoters blasting away.

The firearms thing wasn't even a consideration for me. We have a very reasonable priced public range about 5 minutes from home. The price of membership to "gun clubs" around here is unreal, and a lot of them are closed to membership. I'll stick to my archery only club. Nice to go on a sunday morning and shoot a round of 3D, or the fiels target course, and not have to listen to the rifles, or the skeet shhoters blasting away.
    we dont have public ranges around me, and the dues for my club are $75 a year

for that price, I will deal with it....

I understand the not wanting to hear the guns though, there is a local club that has a 14 target course that they use at the same as they have Blackpowder shoots.....

for $75/year, I would gladly deal with it too. My club is $99/year. archery only. The cheaper gun clubs around here start at around $400/year, and aren't easy to get in to. We have a range that is open to the public on weekends. $5 for the first hour, and $1 for every 15 minutes after the first hour. For the amount of firearms shooting I do, that works out just perfect for me.

for $75/year, I would gladly deal with it too. My club is $99/year. archery only. The cheaper gun clubs around here start at around $400/year, and aren't easy to get in to. We have a range that is open to the public on weekends. $5 for the first hour, and $1 for every 15 minutes after the first hour. For the amount of firearms shooting I do, that works out just perfect for me.
    we need a place like that..........for the people who dont belong to clubs.....

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    we need a place like that..........for the people who dont belong to clubs.....
    It is a private range, that is on State land. The club has some deal with the state for land use. They can keep it private during the week, but have to open it to the public on weekends. It's a pretty good deal all around. We have another public range about 30 minutes from here. $18 first hour, and I believe it is $12 for each additional hour. I will go there in an emergency, or If I want to double check everything right before hunting season. The plus is that there are around 200 stations, so there is always an open bench.

We have a club here that all you have to do is show up and shoot. $4.00 for a night. if you join you can have a key to the building and shoot all you want. $45.00 a year for the key. all we ask is you help out at the 3/ds but its not required. we have about 80 members as of now and lots of help on the range. The 3/d's are the money makers for the club with out them we wouldnt be able to keep the club house and the lights on. It takes members willing to help out and take care of the club. once you join your one of the owners so to speak.
    No if's and or but's Just Maybee.

My personal reasons for wanting to join an archery club are not a land issue. I live out in the boondocks with plenty of land to shoot bow, guns, wrist rockets, fireworks or whatever else I want. I am looking to join one to find people my own age who share some of the interests that I do and pick the brains of those smarter than I(about 98% of the worlds population so the smart thing is not hard to find). I have never shot in a league or anything like I just want to have fun and learn whatever I can from others and maybe forge a friendship or two.

FBSA Member
    Mathews Drenalin
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second

Well do the 3 clubs have monthly shoots? If so go to each one and see how it is ran and handled as an outsider. If it is the same way up there as here in Ga. Then you have the same crowd showing up at all 3 club shoots. For me there are no public archery ranges I know of. But I go to all the north Ga shoots at 5 clubs. I do not belong to any club because I do not have the time to put into it. My oldest girl runs the indoor shoot on Thursday night 3 spot. It is the same crowd there as the 3D shoots also. Pick the brains of the young and the old. Most will tell you or teach you any thing you want to know or learn.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

dodgensince74

I guess I am lucky, we have a few public ranges here, the 2 I like the best so far are about 25 min away from me in different directions and they charge you $5 for all day, it doesn't matter if you shoot rifle or bow. They have 3d courses or just target ranges for bows, plus a range just for broadheads. The rifle ranges are at distance that you can't really hear them, unless someone is shooting a 50 cal.

If you get a chance find out what each has to offer, membership requirements and are you able to shoot the outdoor course anytime during the week or weekend when you get the urge to fling some arrows. I donít know which clubs you had in mind but from what I have heard the Tomah club has a 3D and NFAA Field course which can be shot at any time and that they do have leagues as well as annual events, membership is reasonable also. The Sparta club has an awesome 3D course which also has a large club house with a lot of activities and the Blair Club has a very nice laid back type of atmosphere.
    I hope this helps, just a little info that Iím aware of.

Take Care

JDX--

JDX I live 7 miles from Blair, 12 miles from Black River Falls and about the same from Whitehall. The only one that has answered an email is the one in Whitehall. I am going to go observe a shoot here in the week or two and see what happens.

FBSA Member
    Mathews Drenalin

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee-R View Post
    We have a club here that all you have to do is show up and shoot. $4.00 for a night. if you join you can have a key to the building and shoot all you want. $45.00 a year for the key. all we ask is you help out at the 3/ds but its not required. we have about 80 members as of now and lots of help on the range. The 3/d's are the money makers for the club with out them we wouldnt be able to keep the club house and the lights on. It takes members willing to help out and take care of the club. once you join your one of the owners so to speak.

The one I joined this year works about the same. $50.00/yr - you get the combo to the gate and can camp, fish in the smallish lake; there is 1 boat, first come first serve, and drag out any of the older 3D targets and practice at any station you care to take it to. The club house has to be reserved and there is a refundable deposit. You get half off on all the shoots as well.