You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Getting Started

Default Getting Started

Its been over 20 years since I'm held a recurve bow, but my 11 year old daughter is interested in target archery. I have every intention of taking her to the local pro shop for trying out gear and range practice. In the meantime, can anyone recommend a decent recurve bow? She is just under 5' tall and not super strong yet....

I'm flexible on budget, but would prefer to keep overall investment for her around $500 for everything she needs.

I also plan on joining her in this new hobby, so I'm sure I'll be browsing more of the forum content, and asking noob questions.

to the forum... I haven't shot or followed recurves for years but there are several guys here I know can help ya out...
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

good ta have ya
    I'd Wp Bowmaster will be tha man with tha answer
    maybe some other fellars have some to

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

OK, I've done a little digging, and I'm finding that I shouldn't limit myself to recurve solutions, especially for me. That said - any good recommendations on adult starter solutions for target archery. I'm 6' 220lbs, and reasonably fit.

Did a quick search on Lancaster's site. http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop...a4d475c7f5df8d
    I've heard mention of the T-rex riser and limbs before as a decent starter set. It uses ILF fittings, which refers to the limb attatchment system. You can swap out the limbs when she's ready pretty simply. It should be able to accept a rest, sights, and stabilizer. Wheather she uses them or not is up to her. This is more of an olympic type recurve. If you want wood, http://www.3riversarchery.com/ has a pretty good group of youth/starter bows also. My first advice though would be to visit a few archery shops if possible, to see what both of you can pull easily enough to enjoy it, and get a proper fit, IE, draw lenth if your going compound.
    Last edited by red44; 03-04-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Did a quick search on Lancaster's site. http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop...a4d475c7f5df8d
    I've heard mention of the T-rex riser and limbs before as a decent starter set. It uses ILF fittings, which refers to the limb attatchment system. You can swap out the limbs when she's ready pretty simply. It should be able to accept a rest, sights, and stabilizer. Wheather she uses them or not is up to her. This is more of an olympic type recurve. If you want wood, http://www.3riversarchery.com/ has a pretty good group of youth/starter bows also. My first advice though would be to visit a few archery shops if possible, to see what both of you can pull easily enough to enjoy it, and get a proper fit, IE, draw lenth if your going compound.
    I have an opportunity to jump on a Hoyt Ultra Mag Xt 2000 at a very reasonable price. It has a 50-60 pound draw, and its length is adjustable from 28-30.5 inches. Is this a decent starter compound bow? Again, it would be strictly for target archery on a range. No hunting.

Default An opportunity

I have an opportunity to jump on a Hoyt Ultra Mag Xt 2000 at a very reasonable price. It has a 50-60 pound draw, and its length is adjustable from 28-30.5 inches. Is this a decent starter compound bow? Again, it would be strictly for target archery on a range. No hunting.

Love my ultra mag. I don't shoot competition, but I practice year round and it works great for hunting. If I were to buy a new bow I probably would get a katera XL. I paid 500.00 for my "05" ultra mag on sale in "06". I have no regrets. Welcome to an awesom sport, enjoy!

I would get her a compound with easy draw cycle make comfortable for her to shot so she stays interested in it. Like a mathews genesis new they are about $200.00

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

The Genesis has 0% let off, (no set draw length) so any of the kids can pick it up and shoot it. You might look at the Micro Midas or the Darton Ranger for her. For you there are so many options you just need to start trying them.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

have you really looked at the micro midas it is one of the worse bows put together I was going to buy one for my girl friend

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Nope, never found one to get my paws on; I was considering one for my daughter when she was getting started but never saw one and ended up getting her something else. Too bad as there are limited options for kids. I guess Martin has the Leopard as well.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

There's nothing like archery. The power, the delicate touch, the concentration, I could go on. There's just something about using your own strength and focusing power, devastating power in the case of a bow and arrow. Actually, there's no greater power known to man that a person can generate and expend using only physical strength and solely dependent upon it. There is so much power in a bow and arrow that it creates a dead zone at the point of impact, wherever it's pointed. This is also why it makes a great sport as well as for hunting and battles. Nothing can touch a bow and arrow in terms of stealth strike capability, not even a gun with a silencer. Obviously, there is much more to archery then just merely flinging arrows like cupid. In Asia, especially Korea where archery has been a tradition for thousands of years, there are varying degrees of mastery like any other martial arts. Master archers can hit a bullseye at 140 meters. That's with a horsebow that has no cut away rest on it. You're getting into something good. Have fun.

Here are some places you can check out. They're all good. I'm sure you'll find everything you'll ever need.
    fsdiscountarchery.com
    www.k1-archery.com
    www.3riversarchery.com
    www.lancasterarchery.com
    www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com
    www.freddiebearsports.com
    www.reddinghardware.com
    www.archerywarehouse.com
    www.archerymarket.com
    www.outdoorexperience.com
    www.sportsmansguide.com
    www.huntersfriend.com
    www.redmondoutdoors.com

Default Great Info!

Thanks all - this is all great info so far

Unfortunately, my daughter caught a nasty bout of the flu so we had to cancel our next archery lesson. We were at a sporting good sport where she had the opportunity to try the Genesis and Mini(?) Genesis. The draw length was too short on the Mini, and she had a tough time pulling back the Genesis.

I didn't look closely but I suspect it may have been a Genesis Pro bow with the weight higher than she expected. She doesn't have a ton of upper body strength (yet), so I think we'll try a recurve until she builds up her strength. That leaves me with two questions:

1) Can anyone recommend a recurve bow?

2) How low of a draw weight can the standard Genesis be cranked down to?