You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default reloading -Totally non-archery

My youngest brother (A St. Louis cop) and I are tossing around the Idea of starting to reload our own ammo. The cost of store bought ammo is getting out of hand. Anyone got any ideas on the better brands of reloading equipment to buy and any other good input that may be here would be appreciated. Thanks

My dad does alot of reloading and swears by Dillon for anything he can get from them and then probably puts Lee behind them. My suggestion is to try to get some decent stuff used to see if you like it and then upgrade from there. Also, updated powder load book are a must with modern loads and ammo, but some of these can be found online at a forum like this one. And a good place to start for some supplies is Midway USA. They have a website so just type their name into a search.

Good Luck
    Clem
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

Midway is a great source for components and equipment. BE CAREFUL! Follow the load books closely so you don't over charge any rounds. Reloading can be fun and very cost effective, but care must be taken to do it right. I have always used Lee dies and presses, but I don't reload alot. They have some good entry level models for not alot of $'s.

Ya, I forgot about RCBS, I have heard my father mention them as well.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by clemenlp View Post
    Ya, I forgot about RCBS, I have heard my father mention them as well.
    If I remember right the dies are interchangable between Dillon and RCBS also...

I believe you can change dies between most equipment Dillon, Lee, and RCBS.

But I may be wrong, and probably am.

Default rbrunholtz

Send me an email @ rbrunholtz1958@yahoo.com and I'll share as much reloading information as you want. You can't go wrong with most RCBS, Hornady and Dillon products but I can give you a list of everything you will need to reload properly and safely. If you are a high volume shooter you might save some money but the main reason I reload is because of bullet selection and accuracy. The initial setup is not cheap and you might as well get started with time saving tools that will save you money in the long run. Drop me a line and I can give you details, pictures and tips.

what kind of ammo and how much shooting do you do?

Don't even mess around, go to Dillon. I load 60,000 + rounds per rear, and have used several loaders. Spend the money and get a 650.
    www.livingstongunclub.org
    www.jimposten.com for the finest stabilizers in the world
    www.meanvarchery.com Custom String Suppression for that shot of a lifetime
    Add some custom bling with a www.slingbraid.com

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    what kind of ammo and how much shooting do you do?
    There are 4 of us (3 Police Officers and myself) going in on this to be setup in my basement. I'm single with no "youngn's" at home. On an average (between the 4) we go thru 1000/1500 rds a week. Mainly pistol, except some rifle for deer season. We used to get our rds. thru a retired police officer that has since passed away. Unfortunately his wife already sold his setup. Plus I'm sure, if we want, we can pick up a few others to reload for. I'm retired and have time. A lot of our brass we can get thru the Police range (inside contact). We'll be reloading mainly .380, 9mm., .40 and .357 with an occasional .32. Don't really shoot the .32acp enough to warrent buying the dies etc. for. The 9mm. and the .40 are our main 2.

Banned

My brother bought 30,000 rounds of spent 223 casings form a prison in Mo. So he bought a Lee progesive reloader for about $400.00 and hated it. Poor instuction and an overall peice of junk. Sent it back a paid a little more and bought a Dillion and loves it.

Just be very careful my friend. Read, learn and understand how to do it right. I bought some reloaded 44 mag rounds from a friend that sets up a table at gun shows. I am glad I did not need the rounds for self def. Because I tried to chamber one and it would not fit. That guy over pressed them and you could not tell by looking at them. Also a small company near here was reloading 223 rounds for law enforcement. He was not crimping them enough and they were letting the bullet push to far into the case. Then when fired it would basically blow up the rifle. So always air on the side of caution when doing it. One day I may try to learn how to reload.
    Plus I need to no I have my go to camera guy around lol
    Boy I still love that camera.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SinGin View Post
    My brother bought 30,000 rounds of spent 223 casings form a prison in Mo. So he bought a Lee progesive reloader for about $400.00 and hated it. Poor instuction and an overall peice of junk. Sent it back a paid a little more and bought a Dillion and loves it.
    That's not the first complaint I've heard about the Lee Progressive...
    Dillon is a much nicer press.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Add me to the list for Dillon; I have over 100K rounds on my 550 with no problems. For rifle loads I'm a bit more picky and I use a RCBS Rockchucker single stage press and weigh each charge. One thing I'd add is to spend the money on a good manual that has instructions, I also like to have multiple sources. I use the Speer, Lyman and Hornaday at the present.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Progressive: Dillon.

Single stage: RCBS Rockchucker.

I've had my Rockchucker since 1974. Probably put close to 200,000 rounds through it. Still as good as the day I got it.

Dillon's stuff is top notch, as well. Their warranty/customer service is the best in the business.

Dies: I've had good luck with RCBS, Lyman. Lee dies are ok, I just prefer RCBS.

If you go the single stage route, an up-to-date loading manual and a good set of accurate powder scales( don't go cheap on your scales ), are two of the best investments you'll ever make.

To really save, you'll need to buy the bulk packs of bullets/primers, and buy your powder in the larger containers, as opposed to 1 lb. containers. Bulk packs of 500 or 1000 bullets, as well as primers by the brick (1000) will bring down your cost per round.

Go slow at first, and don't reload when you're tired or distracted.

Huntin Junkie

Go Dillon and you won't go wrong.

I may add though you said loading in your basement. Do yourself a big favor and store powder outside of your house. A powder locker is best, but a pound of powder will take out your house. You will not be using the black powder on Mythbusters. Follow all directions and work up from the bottom. Just a common mistake is bulk powder and how to store it.
    Introduce a kid to the outdoors, the American way depends on it

If you can read this, thank a teacher
    If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
    Octane Hostage Pro
    Octane quiver
    G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
    Sims S-coil
    Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps