You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bow for a girl??

what compound bow would you guys recommend for a girl? i want to buy one for my little sister. what draw weight should i start her off with?
    thanks

How old is your sister, how tall?
    Mathews Staff Shooter Northern Dutchess Archery & Sportsman Supply - www.ndarchery.com

TruBall & Axcel & Dead Center Archery Shooter Staff

I think that she is 5'2" and she is 19 now i think.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

What is the intended use and how deep are her pockets?
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

just recreational purpose, she comes home from school every now and then, i just want to take her out shooting with me. and what do u mean by "pockets"

Team Nock Point

Hi,
    there are alot of short draw bows on the market now....hoyt makes a couple...trykon sport, trykon JR, hoyt selena. Elite FIRE is a short draw and has the speed to match up with the big boys, Bowtech equalizer is another option, bowtech also makes a line of bows called diamond, The Edge is for shorter draw lengths...

There is just a few ideas, but I would suggest that you take her to your local bow shop and let her pick what feels good, and have them measure her draw.
    You may buy her a bow that may not "fit" her and she wont like to shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by KyuZo View Post
    just recreational purpose, she comes home from school every now and then, i just want to take her out shooting with me. and what do u mean by "pockets"
    how much money do you want to spend...

The best bet is to set a budget and go to a pro shop and see what you can come up with...
    Mathews Staff Shooter Northern Dutchess Archery & Sportsman Supply - www.ndarchery.com

TruBall & Axcel & Dead Center Archery Shooter Staff

Not to hijack but...Welcome Shootergrl.

Alot of great bows out there... Like suggested set a rough budget and hit the shops, shot and handle as many as you can. As for draw weight, my wife is 5'4" and her bow is 30-40# it's set at 30 now...

Look at the Mathews Ignition and the Mission X3 also...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Not to hijack but...Welcome Shootergrl.
    I am a guy by the way.

and thanks for all the advice. I am going to see if she likes it first by starting her out with a cheap fiberglass recurve bow @ 30#

brokenarrow was talking to one of the other posters.

I would start her out on a reasonable piece of equipment. Don't start her on something that isn't easy to shoot or a good fit for her. It's kind of like starting someone out on a cheap guitar - they're nasty to play and it just discourages people and they quit.
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    brokenarrow was talking to one of the other posters.
    ahhhh. got it.

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    I would start her out on a reasonable piece of equipment. Don't start her on something that isn't easy to shoot or a good fit for her. It's kind of like starting someone out on a cheap guitar - they're nasty to play and it just discourages people and they quit.
    you're right, but then again, most compound bow are too heavy for a girl. recurves are lighter.

There are plenty of women shooters and they're just like us each having their own tastes. At 19 she should have no problem finding a compound she likes. My 16yr old daughter likes her Darton - she has a 26" draw length. Wheely and Pink on here have their compounds - and I'm guessing they'd kick my butt on something like a 5 spot shoot. Don't sell the gals short - let them find one that fits them.
    FBSA emertus

if this is not a surprise for her , bring her with to a shop
    and find out her draw length
    and have her pull a few back and see what she is comfortable with as far as draw weight boy girl man woman whatever we all have to start somewhere
    when I set my boy up he 11 yo and just started shooting my wife's bow she had a kid in the back yard , I found a good local shop
    and we bought him a Parker Buck shot 20-30lb 8-10 draw adjust
    he's 13 now we swapped the limbs to 40-50 and adjusted the draw length

My wife shoots a Hoyt sapphire sweet small riser bow 25" draw 40-50 limbs
    backed down to 35 the more she shoots the stronger she gets the more shots she can fire in an evening, her only demand was the bow could not be camo, so we happened to find a super clean used one online. but we had to go through the same exercise with her as we did with the boy, find the length and weight, once you figured the bow out , you need to set it up, use good quality items and it should be set it and forget it , my wifes bow fits inthe case with everything still on it sight, stab.

buy a 15-30 pound recurve and she'll get the feel of pulling the string back
    finding an anchor point, steadying the shoot, releasing , all that good stuff
    and your investment will be minimal ( for now)

good luck

BKG

Banned

You might look at the Browning Micro Midas or the Micro Adrenalin. My wife and two daughters shoot them. The best thing about them is you can adjust the draw lenght without a press. You might be able to do that with the others, I never checked The 2 Brownings you can buy used for under $200.00

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by SinGin View Post
    You might look at the Browning Micro Midas or the Micro Adrenalin. My wife and two daughters shoot them. The best thing about them is you can adjust the draw lenght without a press. You might be able to do that with the others, I never checked The 2 Brownings you can buy used for under $200.00
    Exactly what i was thinking, Singin you read my mind
    My son was raised on the Browning Micro-Midas 25-45lbs and 22-26in draw
    Will fit most girls and fun to shoot.
    The Micro-adrenalin is great too.
    And if i forgot to mention to the forum.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I would look into the Diamond Edge. It provides great draw length range, reasonable speed, and it is light weight for a reasonable price. While I would suggest finding a good Proshop in your area these could also be found at most box stores (gander, dicks, cabelas, and bass pro).
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

I believe that the Diamond edge would be onr of your best bets. You could get her A 40# and back it down to 30# and draw from 18" to 28" draw.
    Good luck.
    Danny
    08 Constitution 50# 29"
    08 Allegiance 70#
    07 Guardian 77#
    http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=478
    FBSA Member

I've seen many woman shooting a Mathews Prestige. It is a what many woman use for target: http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-P...sp#description ...this is pricey for a new shooter so I would also consider the Mathews Mustang: http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-M...sp#description ...very reasonable on price and is smooth and speedy for the low poundage.

KyuZo; we all can give you makes and models etc. but please do the girl a favor and let her try different models and let her decide for herself.
    FBSA emertus

One of the bows you should have her try is the Genesis and/or Genesis Pro.
    They have a ton of adjustability and 0% letoff so you don't have to mess around with swapping out cams or mods or anything. They shoot amazingly well and are very affordable. The resale value is also respectable because they fit so many different sizes and ages of people. Most of the responders to your question are walking down good paths. But, having said that, it may make sense to try out a Genesis and see if she likes the sport. A Genesis is not an el-cheap bow by any means, it's just made to have a lot of adjustability and is easy to shoot. I think draw weights go from 5# to about 30#, depending on the model and how it's adjusted. It is the bow of choice for the National Archery in the Schools Program, which is specifically geared to recruiting more archers into the sport.

Good luck and I hope she shoots with you and continues shooting years down the road. We can use more shooters in our sport...

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....