You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Default I remember when.....do you?

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the samecutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't get foodpoisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat abite raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in waxpaper, in a brown paper bag, not in icepack coolers, but I can'tremember anybody getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake insteadof a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, anda pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair ofhightop Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-trainingathletic shoes with air cushion soles and built-in light reflectors. Ican't recall any injuries but they must have happened, because they tellus how much safer we are now....

Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PEmust be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the National Anthem,and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negativeattention. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.

What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses?Ours wore a hat and everything, and she could even give you an aspirinfor a headache or fever.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cablestations.

Oh yeah, and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I gotthat bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacantconstruction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-centbottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't stinglike iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked! Now it's a trip tothe emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle ofantibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor forleaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it wassuch a threat. - (For my 6th grade class, it was 'king of the hill' onthe snow pile in the playground parking lot and our class was so roughthat we had a hill of our own!)

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either, because if we did, wegot our butt spanked there, and then we got butt spanked again when wegot home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing histricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off. Little did his Momknow that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up andswatted himfor being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that theywere from a "dysfunctional family". How could we possibly have knownthat we needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes?We were obviously so duped by so many social ills, that we didn't evennotice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we eversurvive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T---- SORRYFOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING

Share this with someone (over age 40, of course), and brighten their dayby helping them to remember that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best! If you can think of anymore, please add to the list!
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

yrp them was tha days
    if ya got in a fight you did'nt pull out a shive or gun
    you just duked it out
    your doors could be left unlocked and your parents did'nt give ya brith control
    hardest whipping I ever got was in tha 10th grade for playing hooky
    I had to walk tha halls for i could'nt sit down
    it still stings taday
    no homeless folks
    your folks could take you to tha lake and leave you for tha day without being fearful of being kidnapped or raped and murdered by some homo fag
    we wore our caps with tha bills forward and you would never dream of letting folks see you drawers.
    and tha Boonie Lou and Buster Show & Leave it to Beaver was good entertainemt on tha tube
    To many single parent homes and big bro gov taking care of all tha victims in this lfe
    I am afraid when they orcrstared taking God out of tha schools
    the only fellar left is tha devil
    sooooo...............................
    Last edited by Holy Smokes; 03-13-2008 at 09:22 AM.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Heck, I'm only 35 and I remember gettin' my butt beat with all my friends. Mom would line us up and take a fly swatter to our butt.

Oh the memories, We had an old yellow dodge, can't remember the model. We kids had to line up and mom walked down the line Smack(ouch), Smack(ouch), Smack(ouch), Smack(ouch)...... If I remember right, this incident was for a broken mason jar in the tractor shed. Nobody would own up to it. This was one of many.....

But, to this day, I thank my parents for being hard on me... What would I have turned out like if they hadn't...
    I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are missing.

Proud FBSA Member!!!

we had drugs in the 40's and 50's. I was drug to the garden to hoe it
    I was drug to the wood pile to cut it
    i was drug to the yard to mow it {push mower}
    I was drug to church
    I was drug to the wood shed {old fashion discipline when I needed it}
    I was drug to the hay field
    I was drug to the neighbors hay and corn fields
    to the best of my knowledge, I have suffer no ill effect
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    I was drug to church
    I've had my share of those "drugs" too!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

I was drug to church
    Sounds like them drugs does a fellar good LC

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Site Guru

Wow I remember most of those.

Ever remember "turn this car around" which then turned into "Thats IT, if you don't behave at the next rest stop you are getting whooped!"

Iodine burns worse then falling, just don't tell and you'll be much better off hahaha

I remember rock fights... and they didn't resolve in battery chargers

How about not being allowed to miss school on the first day of Doe season because you weren't getting a B or better in a class... and being the only one there that day so you ended up doing something stupid like cleaning chalk boards

Riding on the bus for 45 minutes to get to school?
    No I'm not dead

I can remember when a "tackle box" was a prince albert tobacco can with a few hooks and sinkers in it. when a good sling shot was made out of rubber from a red inner tube. and the only butter was from cows. ahhhh the good old days.

I can remember when a "tackle box" was a prince albert tobacco can with a few hooks and sinkers in it. when a good sling shot was made out of rubber from a red inner tube. and the only butter was from cows. ahhhh the good old days.
    Rave on Brothers Rave on

I can remember when Michael Jackson was still black....
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Quote Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
    I can remember when Michael Jackson was still black....

How about when your dad went to buy a car, one of his primary concerns was being able to reach over the seat and reach the back seat to keep you inline? (Back then nobody worried about or wore seatbelts)

Or how about riding your bike with out a helmet? Riding 10 miles to the lake on your bike to go fishing all day without any worries about what will happen to you, unless you showed up late for dinner. Oh yeah, that's a good one, family sit down dinners where you discussed your day with the whole family.

I also remember when kids had two parents, and those that didn't were looked at with something not quite pitty, but pretty darn close.

I miss the old days (that just makes me feel old! )

Default man

This thread is gonna make me
    CB radios huntin
    no cell phones
    a 2 by 8 between a fork in a tree for a tree stand until baker came out with my 1st climber
    dragin a deer was DRAGGIN A DEER before i got a 3 wheeler then a 4 wheeler
    freezer paper before freezer bags
    And 1 thing i still use, my same 30 year old Buck 110 hunting knife
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    How about when your dad went to buy a car, one of his primary concerns was being able to reach over the seat and reach the back seat to keep you inline? (Back then nobody worried about or wore seatbelts)

Or how about riding your bike with out a helmet? Riding 10 miles to the lake on your bike to go fishing all day without any worries about what will happen to you, unless you showed up late for dinner. Oh yeah, that's a good one, family sit down dinners where you discussed your day with the whole family.

I also remember when kids had two parents, and those that didn't were looked at with something not quite pitty, but pretty darn close.

I miss the old days (that just makes me feel old! )

What about your parents yelling for you at dinner time... and if you didn't hear you were in for some trouble! None of this calling around the neighborhood crap

Party Lines (where everyone on a stretch of road had the same phone number)

"Time of day" electric - you only washed clothes after 8 pm and turned all the lights off during the day

*sigh* I miss those days...

How about these ones...

Remember reading the paper and seeing local events on the front page? Like farm shows and fairs? Plays at the local school? You know... stuff OTHER then who was shot, robbed, died in a car wreck... etc
    Last edited by Dredly; 03-15-2008 at 07:16 AM.
    No I'm not dead

I know this is going way back. but how about standing in line during WW2 with your ration books to get shoes, sugar,meat,coal,tobacco,tires and gas. if you didnt have a stamp for that month you done without. or you might find some one to trade stamps with you. good olds ?

Or acting up at the family trip to the big department store (treasure Island here) Being took out to the car and having to seat there by yourself for a few hours. I was only 6. An no one had to watch you.
    We would come home from school, do our chours, jump on our dirt bikes and ride the power lines miles from home. Our mother and father did not have to worry about us.
    Coming home and grabbing our 22 rifles and go into the woods and hunt tree rats. I was 9 then
    Or in the south getting smacked for looking at a black family in the car next to you going down the road.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Site Guru

I know this is going way back. but how about standing in line during WW2 with your ration books to get shoes, sugar,meat,coal,tobacco,tires and gas. if you didnt have a stamp for that month you done without. or you might find some one to trade stamps with you. good olds ?
    wwwaaayyyy before my time
    No I'm not dead

Wow, i'll be there was one heck of a black market.
    I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are missing.

Proud FBSA Member!!!

how about waiting in long lines to buy gas and you where only allowed to get $5.00 in gas but it was $.75 a gallon

How about the bulk candy in the glass containers in the 5 and 10 cent store.

You paid by the pound.

Fifty cents would get you a big bag of candy.