You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Ground blinds

Default Ground blinds

My question is how many have used them and how do you feel about them? My 11 year old is not ready "in my opinion" to be climbing up fifteen+ feet in a tree stand without me worrying myself to death about him taking a dive even with a harness system on.
    If you have hunted from a tree stand with a young one? What considerations do you have? Personally I have never used a ground blind but would consider doing so for my son's safety this fall. He is athletic and very strong for his age but with that comes a sense of "I can do anything that you can do." My 15 going on 16 year old I am not so worried about. He's been using a self climber under my watchful eye for two years.

Thank you for your feedback.
    Mike from Maine
    John 3:16
    Hoyt Katera 2008.

Default Ground blinds

I've used double bull blinds for several years now, and the reason was because of my son. He loved to hunt with me, but I didn't feel comfortable having him climbing in trees.

I still hunt from a blind, and have been more succesful from them than I was from my ladder stand.

Good luck to you, and your sons, it is well worth the change, so that he can hunt with you.

I hunted off the ground for years I use blow downs for a blind and shot a lot of deer

Thanks for the reply. Up this way "Maine" I have not seen anybody using the ground blinds of the man made kind. I will check out the double bull blinds as you suggested. If anything they will allow for some eleven yr old movement as well as keeping us comfortable. The unfortunate part is that in Southern Maine we have allot of theft of stands, game cams etc. Breaking down and setting up seems to be quieter than climbers, but with that comes the need for scent control to the tenth degree, I would imagine. Scent lock gear should be my next investment for him.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by my3sons&I; 03-13-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    Mike from Maine
    Hoyt Katera 2008.

ive been hunting out of ground blinds for a few years. i started useing them because of the area i was hunting in didnt allow for me to use a tree stand. i made my blinds with dead fall and pine bows inside of tree clusters. i never had to worry about someone stealing it.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

Quote Originally Posted by my3sons&I View Post
    My question is how many have used them and how do you feel about them? My 11 year old is not ready "in my opinion" to be climbing up fifteen+ feet in a tree stand without me worrying myself to death about him taking a dive even with a harness system on.
    If you have hunted from a tree stand with a young one? What considerations do you have? Personally I have never used a ground blind but would consider doing so for my son's safety this fall. He is athletic and very strong for his age but with that comes a sense of "I can do anything that you can do." My 15 going on 16 year old I am not so worried about. He's been using a self climber under my watchful eye for two years.

Ground blinds work when scent is coverd just like tree stands. The blind must be hidden well and in cover with my experience. You can take a doe but a nice buck will not come close if the blind is not hidden well and scent covered. I have taken deer hidding behind brush. The real deal is have your scent covered the rest works with practice. Besides there is nothing like a father sitting there watching his son or daughter making the shot. NO matter the outcome it is the experience of the hunt and sharing the outdoors that makes the memories that last. So enjoy the blind and the time with your son.

Default Ha

Quote Originally Posted by my3sons&I View Post

Ive been hunting with my son since he was 6
    he's now 21 and climb's or stalk's with me, what ever the thrill my be that day
    I myself dont use blinds very much, if im on the ground, im moveing
    I would suggest some good camo and head netting, gillie suit even.
    blinds cut my shots off to much, they are for some people, but not for me.
    Maybe when im 70 and want my coffee and a book.
    to much to pack in and take out with a deer.
    There are alot of pro's and con's
    and thats one to many things for me
    Ive got an archer in my hunt club that bought a Double-bull blind this year
    Only to have someone come onto posted property and steal it.
    $300 down the drain my stand is on my back if im useing one, no worries
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

When I was 11, they didn't have climbing treestands, however I was climbing trees around the house that were much higher than I have ever gone in a stand. I never broke my neck eventhough I never wore a fall restraint. It's just my opinion, but I think that most parents don't give their children enough credit as to what they can do. If you are really worried about him falling, hunt next to him with your own stand, give him a hight limit and make him stick to it, when you buy him a stand, make sure it has a safety rail and make him wear a fall restraint from the ground to hunting height. It will teach him the importance of wearing one all the time, show confidence in his abilities and allow him to get comfortable with being in a treestand which limits his movements. Or you could use a ground blind, nothing wrong with them. Lots of people kill good deer out of them every year. Too bad about the thieves though, I think that you need to have the blind in place all the time for the deer to get used to it, or be able to hide it VERY well, which limits shot opportunities. Good luck!
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

the only thing i would be worried about is them falling asleep, my dad used to crawl up behind me so i wouldnt fall or he would break my fall, i dont know.I got close to a small 7 in a ground blind but they are so scared, you almost gotta have the blind up 3 weeks before season or rut, and at least 25 yrds away from where your bait poile or trail is

Default Groundblinds

I have a Double Bull 360,we have used it for Muledeer in alfalfa fields next to a round bale with good success.The deer look at it then ignore it and walk right past.Hunting out of a blind is a blast, your out of the wind and rain.With my son I can coach him on when to shoot ,spend time together you can move inside the blind .We even take a nap on the ground when its slow ,one guy watches one sleeps.This keeps you in the woods longer instead of going back to the cabin or truck.You spook less deer and leave less scent.The DoubleBull is the best, the new model has a better window, it doent pinch in the corners.My hunting buddy bought a blind a hundred dollars cheaper and ended up bringing it back after he tried mine.Shooting thru the netting is no problem .Its easy to set up and take down ,lighter than a tree stand and ladder.You can brush it in where there is no good trees to climb and you can move it faster and quieter to where you see the deer moving.Cant say enough.I have never had a deer spook seeing the blind ,I have been busted sitting in a treestand.You can set it up and climb in ,then take it down when you leave.I dont leave mine out so the deer get use to it.Most deer I have seen look for movement a glint of an eye or a familiar shape in a tree.I have bowhunted for 25 years ,used a groundblind because the Muledeer avoided the trees ,the ones we hunt stay in the open .Didnt think I needed to spend 300.00 on a ground blind but now I love it.I own six treestands still use them.Just my exprience.Wolf
    Last edited by wolf942; 03-21-2008 at 06:18 AM.

Hunting out of a tree you will overall, have more success than on the ground in my experience. I too wouldn' t want my 11 year old climbing a tree either. But, if an adult helped him put up the stand and MADE SURE he would wear a harness at all times, it would probably be alright. A climbing tree stand is hard to fall out of. I think most falls happend going up and down the tree. Some decent climbing sticks may also make things a little safer that traditional screw ins that I can't ever seem to stagger properly. Its the step in, and the step out of the treestand that makes me nervous.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

I am totally new to deer hunting in general and especially to bowhunting so take this for what it is worth. I plan on buying some camo burlap fabric, they sell it bye the yard ay Gander Mt, and a couple of plastic fence posts and making a cheap blind useing whatever brush and natural cover I can find along with the camo. I have talked to a couple of guys I know that have hunted for years and they said they used to hunt that way when they started and it worked really well. You just need to make sure you control your scent and hunt the wind. I guess for me it is a good way to get out and hunt on a budget. If there is a lot of theft in your area I would think that you could use this set up and leave it out and it wouldn't get stolen. Just my 2 cents.
    Proud Member of the F.B.S.A.
    Browning Summit II @ 64#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400's
    Muzzy MX4 100Grain

All this talk of blinds and theft.
    Does anyone want to build a blind to watch a blind?
    Thief hunting could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob4 View Post
    All this talk of blinds and theft.
    Does anyone want to build a blind to watch a blind?
    Thief hunting could be fun.
    Not a bad idea!
    We could even shoot video of it.
    Mike from Maine
    Hoyt Katera 2008.

thieves are thick here especially if you hunt public land. people are terrible about it they think if someone leaves there stand to go to the truck or whatever even for a moment whatever is left there is a door prize or something.

FBSA Member
    http://www.thefbsa.com
    Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second

get one of the double bull videos and it has a dvd of setup and use. its very informative and will answer alot of your questions

My 11 year old son and I hunt out of a blind when he goes with me. For one, he's a bit timid of heights still. For two, sitting still has never been his strong suit. We feel that in a blind we can get away with a bit of low (covered) movement and a little whispering when it's slow out. I would recommend one. I don't have a fancy Double Bull, though. Where are you in Maine? I'm in Rockland.