You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Serious question for those of you who work at shops

For those who help out at shops either part- or full-time, or those who own their own shop... or if you've worked in a shop recently...

I'm looking for some info, if you would be so kind to help me out.

What have you done/are you doing that you feel works really well? What have you tried to implement in the past that does NOT work well? (any ideas as to why? What would you change if you tried it again in the future?)

What HAS worked extremely well?

What do you feel your shop has done to differentiate itself from your nearest competitors?

What do you wish you had more of?

What gets in the way?

What one thing would you change about your situation? About the industry?

Anything else you can think of you'd like to address that I haven't asked?

Feel free to e-mail your responses to me (gms@ltdkate.com) if you don't wish others to read them. I know these are quite thought-provoking (at least it's my HOPE that they are if treated correctly), and as such would require some time to give your honest feedback.

I'm extremely grateful in advance for your thoughtful answers.

ONE of the VERY FIRST things to pop into my head is, DO NOT PRICE ARROWS, PER PIECE......

I know it sounds it silly but the first shop I worked in, had this practice and we would end up with tons of odd colored fletching combos in boxes, because we let people buy, say 3 arrows......yes people do this.....

Make it a minimum of 1/2 dozen......
    I cut things up and split them down!

An indoor range even if small is a plus......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Whats up Greg...

Treat all of your customers the same weather they are buying $35. worth of broadheads or a $1200. bow setup. The guy spending 35 bucks will come back some day if he is treated right.

Do not Push a certain brand on your customers..let them decide what they want.....you know what I mean.

A place to try out a different brands of bows is a big plus.

Don't over charge on the small stuff... if its a regular customer that spends a lot of money, do them little free favors...the word goes out to many.

Now, lets go shoot some 3D again.....there is one coming up on the 30th, same place

Have some loner or rent able arrows. That way they can shoot diff. arrows before finding the right one.
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Thanks for the responses so far guys! Keep 'em coming, please!

Tek, I'll be there... I'm starting to get hooked on this 3d thing! I shot with Jeff Propst and his son in Festus last weekend and finished 5 points out of 3rd place -- and that included a complete whiff on a standing bear at 37 yards in which I STILL have no idea what happened... just complete lack of concentration I guess; I don't have a clue.

But other than that, I was extremely happy with my shooting for just my fourth shoot ever using a pure bowhunting setup.

I've almost got my 3d rig put together now... just waiting on my Hogg-It sight to get here to slap on my new Constitution. Can't wait to start shooting that bow... she's SO smooth and stable at that long 41" a-to-a.

See ya there!

An indoor range is big ++++, a lot of people are obsessed with speed so having a chronograph is good..... Having help that actually know what they are doing or talking about is huge! I also agree with the little freebie thing, if a regular customer comes in because one fletching is missing, that sort of thing gets comes up when people have conversations. Nothing is better advertisement when it comes to a pro shop than personal recommendations. A good selection of bows, broadheads, arrows, releases, middle of the road sights, leave the spot hogs, sure-locs etc... for ordering. Our shop has probally 50-60 140"-170" shoulder mounts hanging all around the shop.... I think seeing all that bone gets the wheels turning for some customers....
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

dont allow aiming joice during buisness hours and dont hire someone that has
    bad bowels (Gas) and do offer shooting tips !!
    Keep prices fair and DON"T BARTER NO TRAIDING FOR FAVERS YOU WILL GO IN THE RED FAST.
    grillin
    hoyt vulcan
    hha slider
    axes 340