You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Attention NY Bowhunters!!!

State to stiff bowhunters out of 7 prime days

March 11, 2008 6:00 AM
    Fall archery season for deer is several months off, but when it arrives, hunters in the Hudson Valley will come up short.
    That's because the 2008 archery season is seven days shorter than the 2007 season.
    In an era when people are challenged enough to find time to hunt, a shorter season is not good. And now is the time to get this issue fixed, not when the season opens in October.
    This shortened season is due primarily to moving the traditional opening day of big-game season from Monday to the prior Saturday.
    So when the fall archery season opens on Oct. 19, it will offer 28 days of hunting, instead of the 35 days during 2007.
    In a recent letter to state Department of Environmental Conservation commissioner Pete Grannis, New York Bowhunters president Gary Socola offered a few of his own choice observations.
    "It was agreed that in exchange for NYB's support to open the regular firearms season on a Saturday, early season bowhunters would be compensated for the loss of this very valuable weekend of hunting opportunity during the prime 'rut' hunting time with added weekend opportunity on the front end of the season in early October. NYB upheld their end of the agreement but the DEC not only reneged, they took hunting time away from the early season bowhunter," Socola wrote.
    Apparently, whatever agreement the bowhunters had with the DEC did withstand the test of time. According to Socola, the "DEC never engaged NYB in openly discussing any of our alternate suggestions, resulting in the implementation of the current season structure despite the huge volume of letters and correspondence in opposition."
    Kevin Armstrong, NYB's current secretary and former president, recalled that the DEC had certainly made a promise to amend the season to make up for the lost days.
    "Early versions of the DEC's proposal included the early opening date for archery-only season," he said. "Before the season restructuring was complete, the DEC went back on their word to bowhunters. They got their way. Bowhunters got diddly squat."
    Armstrong maintained that the agreement was reached with the DEC's Gerry Barnhardt and assistant commissioner Lynette Start, neither of whom remains at the DEC. Of course, they only gave a verbal agreement to the NYB, at any rate.
    A large part of the problem, as even NYB admitted, is not enough action by individual bowhunters. The only way issues such as this are resolved in the political arena is to have an overwhelming request for change by the bowhunting community. That would be you, if you bowhunt.
    Fortunately, NYB has made it easy to have your voice heard.
    Go to its Web site at newyorkbowhunters.com.
    Check out the "current news" section for a list of key DEC people to send the pre-formatted letter to. If every bowhunter takes action on this, good things can happen. Without that effort, things will remain as they are.

well this is really SUCKY
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default man

Aint that a mess
    Well yall NY Boys just get in a truck and come down here and hunt with me for 19 days our's comes in the 1st
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

This will not be popular but I think hunting season is too long, especially, or should I say specifically, gun season. I would give up a week or two of bow to see a one week gun season.
    ORIGINAL SWITCHBACK

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson

ny911bowhunter

I really dont know why this is a shock to all now - when DEC FIRST made the proposals for the changes, the NYB pointed it out to us! I was a county rep back then, and we pushed it, but it fell on deaf ears. We had a graphical timeline of the next 20 years or so, and the dates that would be lost......

It got swept to the side because bowhunters were just happy to NOT have the muzzleloader season in the middle of bow. We call that pacified.

NOW all of a sudden - it's pucker time........

Quote Originally Posted by ny911bowhunter View Post
    I really dont know why this is a shock to all now - when DEC FIRST made the proposals for the changes, the NYB pointed it out to us! I was a county rep back then, and we pushed it, but it fell on deaf ears. We had a graphical timeline of the next 20 years or so, and the dates that would be lost......

It got swept to the side because bowhunters were just happy to NOT have the muzzleloader season in the middle of bow. We call that pacified.

NOW all of a sudden - it's pucker time........

While I understand, that this shouldnt be a shock......I for one never heard YOU telling us all about a 20 year timeline......

Your not a rep for NYB any more......why is that?

ny911bowhunter

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    While I understand, that this shouldnt be a shock......I for one never heard YOU telling us all about a 20 year timeline......

Your not a rep for NYB any more......why is that?
    You didnt hear ME talking about it because I was not active here while I was a rep - did you go to the county level open forum meetings? If you did, you would have heard about it.

I chose to resign as a rep AND a member because I found MY personal views differing from the NYB's.

AND saying this is SUCKY...........doesnt really translate into shock as far as i am concerned.....

instead of bickering back and forth, about silly things Dan.....why dont we try to convince the NY hunters to SHORTEN the Regular season and increase the Archery only season, and get a EARLY muzzleloader season.......

I also think we need a 2 day DOE season and then only 8 points or better for the next 3 years......

I dont care what there stupid numbers say, the deer herd is way down from years past.....

I was speaking to an old timer on moday night and he said the last couple years remind him of the 1940's when if you saw 12 deer the WHOLE season you thought you were the best hunter in the world.....and those were the days that you could stop at a persons house and be hunting their back 40 in 10 minutes......

I have buddies that use to on a whim run to Deleware county and park along side of a patch of woods and jump out and grouse/rabbit/deer hunt, any time they wanted to and nebver haveto ask permission.......

we are in the process of loosing it all (hunting and fishing oppertunities) and that becomes more prevelint every year.......and really who will it hurt??

sure we are gonna suffer some but is it the end of the world??

not for us....

we missed the prime YEARS for hunting, I have had some absolutley great years in the woods.....

the people this will hurt is our grand children, and really with the way things are going, and theinternet age, will our grandkids even be interested in killing bambie??

every generation gets cut down as far as hunters and even ARCHERS go......

wearenot seeing AS many NEW ARCHERS as we are guys getting back into it....so really the NUMBERS ARE MOST CERTAINLY NOT INCREASEING

now, do i think that we should just lay down and let them take our rights as sportsman away?? 100% NO......

I dont know the answer and have never pretended to......

i mean come WE cant even figure out how to get 50 people to show up regularly at our local shoots.......

You didnt hear ME talking about it because I was not active here while I was a rep - did you go to the county level open forum meetings? If you did, you would have heard about it.

I chose to resign as a rep AND a member because I found MY personal views differing from the NYB's.
    as alot of their members are doing including me.....Dan I dont want to have a war here......in fact i would love for YOU AND ME to come up with the answer to the worlds problems......

but it aint gonna happen, as there are TOO many people that let there personal veiws of things get in the way, of common sense

ny911bowhunter

Everyone has their ideals on how the season should be. Some good, some downright crazy.

Shorten the regular season? I agree. Will it happen? Nope, no way, never! Why? Who are NY's majority hunters? Bowhunters? NOPE! The majority are the gun slinging weekend warriors! They dont give a hoot about archers and bow season...just dont F with their gun season...they have the numbers.

If we REALLY want MORE hunters in the woods, and be careful what you wish for here...you HAVE to allow crossbows. Not just for the ill or handicapped - but for all. Not just just in regular season, but in archery season. There will be a nice influx for the first 2 or 3 years, and then the numbers will drop off again.....once it's not new and shiny anymore.

Me...personally....I dont see it as losing a wek of bowseason....my bowseason goes all fall long....I am not a big gun hunter....I'll just need to do MY homework and have MY spots set to account for the increased traffic in the woods....

ny911bowhunter

as alot of their members are doing including me.....Dan I dont want to have a war here......in fact i would love for YOU AND ME to come up with the answer to the worlds problems......

but it aint gonna happen, as there are TOO many people that let there personal veiws of things get in the way, of common sense
    War? No war here......

ny911bowhunter

What is the REAL problem with hunting here in NY?

Anyone know?

I do.

Everyone has their ideals on how the season should be. Some good, some downright crazy.

Shorten the regular season? I agree. Will it happen? Nope, no way, never! Why? Who are NY's majority hunters? Bowhunters? NOPE! The majority are the gun slinging weekend warriors! They dont give a hoot about archers and bow season...just dont F with their gun season...they have the numbers.

If we REALLY want MORE hunters in the woods, and be careful what you wish for here...you HAVE to allow crossbows. Not just for the ill or handicapped - but for all. Not just just in regular season, but in archery season. There will be a nice influx for the first 2 or 3 years, and then the numbers will drop off again.....once it's not new and shiny anymore.

Me...personally....I dont see it as losing a wek of bowseason....my bowseason goes all fall long....I am not a big gun hunter....I'll just need to do MY homework and have MY spots set to account for the increased traffic in the woods....

there is the KEY.......numbers will drop, no mater what we do......

and as far as wishing there were more hunters, ITS A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD.....I allready have a hard enough time finding decent places to hunt, and then to add, more hunters.......not sure it would be the greatest thing in the world

What is the REAL problem with hunting here in NY?

Anyone know?

I do.

3 WEEK GUN SEASON

what is the problem? i sure hope wisconsin dont get stupid the deer here are overrunning the state between them and the turkey its like a crap shoot driving down the road.

FBSA Member
    http://www.thefbsa.com
    Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second

ny911bowhunter

Bunny already posted it above and doesnt even realize it.....

NY's biggest problem is....................

Bunny already posted it above and doesnt even realize it.....

NY's biggest problem is....................
    BUNNY'S???

ME??

hillary???

I just broke a tooth......

so maybe its tooth decay.....

STLBlue55

I just broke a tooth......

so maybe its tooth decay.....