You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Newbie question

Banned

Default Newbie question

I've been reading for a few days and just joined today. I've been seriously shooting hand guns for about 10 years, but just bought a PSE Bruin last weekend. I have to go to an indoor gun range, but was able to set up a 25 yard archery range in my back yard. I have shot for 1/2 an hour every day after work for 12 days straight, and have been reading everything I can find on the internet. I just ordered two books today.

The archery shop wanted to sell me a release, but I couldn't fit it into the budget for now. The first day was bare fingers. The following week I wore soft work gloves. Two days ago I bought a leather tab.

My problem is that I lost all feeling in the end joint of my middle finger on the second day. The other fingers are fine. So far it hasn't returned even with the tab. It makes typing on the computer a really odd experience.

Is this a standard newbie problem and can I expect it to go away in a week or so? BTY, the bow was a birthday present for my 54th, and I have had tennis elbow problems for almost 20 years. I was concerned about that, but it has not been a problem.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Yeh, it's called finger pinch and it's caused by the acute string angle at full draw. I'm not familiar with the Bruin, but just about any bow shorter than 38" is going to create havoc with the fingers. This is especially true if you haven't shot before. The ole fingers need to be toughened up.

Frankly I'd suggest hanging it up for a short time till you can spring for a release. Life will be a lot easier and shots will be more accurate.

Bfisher is right. We are not saying cannot be accurate with fingers, you can. However, it is a lot easier to be accurate with a release than with fingers.

Any change in your finger pressure or how you release, will cause changes in your impact point. A release is a mechanical device and it releases the same way every time.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Banned

Default Which one

So I guess I need to buy the release. I'm not going to ask which one to buy as there are so many and everyone has their own preference, but I will ask a couple of questions. I am shooting targets in my backyard and will not be hunting. I doubt I will be getting into competitions but it's not totally out of the question.

The "archery guy" at my local shop suggests a trigger finger release with a wrist strap. I've been shooting handguns on his range regularly for 10 years so he says this would be the best choice. Somewhere on the internet I read that the wriststrap is not a good idea. I didnt understand why, but it had to do with drawing the string back.

I've been watching some competition videos and see mostly the alumunium ones, but I "assume" they are the back tension release and I'm too new to grasp that yet.

Any suggestions on strap or not?

As a new shooter, a wrist strap style is a good choice. Just make sure you get a decent one. Plan on spending $50-65 for a good one. If you can get someone to show you the proper way to set the length on it. Make sure at full draw the trigger will be in the first knuckle of your finger. If the trigger sits on your finger tip, then it is too long.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Scott's and TRU Ball make some great index finger releases...True Fire also has a few deceant one's out there...When checking them for length remember what Chris said on where it should fit in the first knuckle...This will help with punching and you will also as you get better with it. Be able to set it up as a back tension if you decieded to..

Banned

Thanks guys. I think I'm sold. I haven't shot a gun since buying my bow, so tomorrow I'm going to the range. I think I'll go ahead and buy a release while I'm there. I appreciate your help.

Banned

So just to complete this thread. My shop guy recommended a T shaped Tru-Ball Pro Diamond because I won't be hunting. Wow is there a learning curve with this. I still don't have full feeling in my finger yet, but it's slowly coming back. Now my arm is sore from this new position, but I'm sure time and practice will take care of that.

I'll be eating cheap lunches for awhile until I cover the cost of it though.