You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Hello from South Florida

Hey everyone. I知 a newbie who just got interested in archery since my kids started it at school. I posted this on several forums so those of you who visit multiple forums please forgive the redundancy.

I知 completely new so I need to take lessons. Can someone point me to a person or place that provides lessons in Palm Beach County, Florida? Also, how much can I expect to pay for lessons?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eddiefebuary View Post
    Hey everyone. I知 a newbie who just got interested in archery since my kids started it at school. I posted this on several forums so those of you who visit multiple forums please forgive the redundancy.

I知 completely new so I need to take lessons. Can someone point me to a person or place that provides lessons in Palm Beach County, Florida? Also, how much can I expect to pay for lessons?

Thanks

Try this out, you can also search "Archery shops in Palm Beach Florida" using your internet browser and get more results.
    http://www.winnerschoicestrings.com/fl.htm
    Mike from Maine
    John 3:16
    Hoyt Katera 2008.

There are basically two types of bows, traditional and compound. A traditional bow is either a recurve or longbow. They're the types of bows that you see often in movies. Then there are compound bows. Compound bows are the bows with the wheels on the end of it called cams. For a recurve or long bow, the archer generates and holds the energy til it's released. For a compound bow, the archer generates the initial energy and the bow compounds that energy into an increased amount with a mechanical pully system and holds it at a set draw length at a decreased amount of energy than the actual energy stored in the bow. In other words, you pull it and the bow makes it more powerful and when you hold it after it's drawn the bow makes it easier to hold the shot. Think of it as a giant crossbow that you shoot with your fingers, that's exactly what it is. There are many things you need to learn and doing the research will prepare you for a good archery experience. The main things you will need are: a bow (not too heavy draw weight and proper length for your height), arrows (carbon is best), tab or glove for finger protection (cordovan leather is best), arm guard for arm protection (anything to prevent string slap), and good target that won't mess up the arrows and easy for the arrows to pull out and big enough so you won't kill anyone standing in the background if you miss (straw haybail is good and cheap). You will have to also learn about different rests that are available and how to adjust them, sometimes with what is called a plunger that acts as a shock absorber for the arrow's horizontal oscillation. You will know what these things are as you familiarize yourself with archery.
    Last edited by revelry; 03-24-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks Revelry.

My pleasure.

Remember that traditional bows require real archery skill whereas a compound bow just basically shoots straight and does most of the work for you. That's why only recurves are allowed in the Olympics.
    Last edited by revelry; 03-26-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelry View Post
    There are basically two types of bows, traditional and compound. A traditional bow is either a recurve or longbow. They're the types of bows that you see often in movies. Then there are compound bows. Compound bows are the bows with the wheels on the end of it called cams. For a recurve or long bow, the archer generates and holds the energy til it's released. For a compound bow, the archer generates the initial energy and the bow compounds that energy into an increased amount with a mechanical pully system and holds it at a set draw length at a decreased amount of energy than the actual energy stored in the bow. In other words, you pull it and the bow makes it more powerful and when you hold it after it's drawn the bow makes it easier to hold the shot. Think of it as a giant crossbow that you shoot with your fingers, that's exactly what it is. There are many things you need to learn and doing the research will prepare you for a good archery experience. The main things you will need are: a bow (not too heavy draw weight and proper length for your height), arrows (carbon is best), tab or glove for finger protection (cordovan leather is best), arm guard for arm protection (anything to prevent string slap), and good target that won't mess up the arrows and easy for the arrows to pull out and big enough so you won't kill anyone standing in the background if you miss (straw haybail is good and cheap). You will have to also learn about different rests that are available and how to adjust them, sometimes with what is called a plunger that acts as a shock absorber for the arrow's horizontal oscillation. You will know what these things are as you familiarize yourself with archery.

DUDE YOU GOT SOME ISSUES......why would you make a statement like that???

100% false!!!!!!!
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by revelry View Post
    My pleasure.

Remember that traditional bows require real archery skill whereas a compound bow just basically shoots straight and does most of the work for you. That's why only recurves are allowed in the Olympics.
    WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR PROBLEM???

are you a troll looking to start a fight???

remember there are around 10,000 members here roughly........6 of them shoot traditional equipment......

so basically you are insulting roughly 9994 members, saying none of them have any skill......
    I cut things up and split them down!

I would recommend opening the yellow pages or searching the net for archery shops in your area. Visit a few and ask a few questions and find one that has people willing to answer your questions. Tell them what you want to do and they will help you out.

Then, I would ask them if there are any local archery clubs. If so, give them a call and find out what they offer. Usually these clubs have people that are more than happy to help out a new archer.

It is best not to go it alone in the beginning....

Good luck and welcome to the site......
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR PROBLEM???

are you a troll looking to start a fight???

remember there are around 10,000 members here roughly........6 of them shoot traditional equipment......

so basically you are insulting roughly 9994 members, saying none of them have any skill......
    Woah relax, I see that you're biased but who isn't? hehe

Shooting a compound requires a different kind of skill then shooting a traditional bow. Just like shooting a crossbow. For a crossbow, the archer exerts the energy and the bow holds it til it's released by the archer and the arrow usually sits on something like a launcher to remain completely free of the bow. The only difference between is that a crossbow is held and released by a trigger mechanism in the bow and a compound is held and released by the archer's fingers. It is what it is. What else is it? A magic bow? lol

Try shooting a recurve or a longbow and see for yourself. The kind of bow that mankind has been shooting for thousands of years. If you can shoot two traditional bows the same right off the bat like you can with a compound then you're a better man than most archers, alive or dead. Try it and see. You'll see what I mean by real archery skill. Until then, it might do you some good to learn something about archery instead of just shooting the fastest arrows. Obviously, archery is not something that you want to master and you know nothing of them. That's very disrespectful and disgraceful to archers and archery in general.

Do not start a fight. You are the only one instigating one. I am helping someone. You are not. Excusing yourself is best if you are only going to be a disturbance.

I never said compounds bows were bad. Any forms of archery is good. It's just different. You see, every traditional bow has it's own different personality that that archer has to have a relationship with. There's an endearing romance to it. There's just nothing like that with a compound bow, that's all. The skill I speak of is that relationship. The skill of master archers are mind boggling. Not a single one shoots a compound. There's a good reason for that, don't you think? Only someone who truly loves and appreciates archery and strives for perfection in it would understand this. Afterall, archery is something that doesn't allow for less than perfection. Archery does not have a margin of error.
    Last edited by revelry; 03-27-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Archery is a gentleman's sport. Conduct yourself accordingly.

Smile

Welcome!
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

eddiefebuary

SW Fla here.

I"m also s fla...little bit north though on the treasure coast. Probably the wrong spot to ask...but I'm also new to archery, and have tried to find a shooting club so that I can have access to targets etc... does anybody know where I can find a group? I know there is one in ft lauderdale but that's to far south for me to go...any suggestions? I"ve also already looked at the FAA website.