You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: I am a pig!

Default I am a pig!

Today, I found out it is "Inappropriate Friday".
    At work, I was thinking that with our winter league wrapping up and the temp's warming, I wanted to hunt something. Without thinking who I was around, I said "I really need to go kill something this weekend!" Now I work with a staff of mostly liberal thinking, anti-hunting people. With the exception of one of my hunting friends, NOBODY understood my words to be positive. I got looks, comments, glares about this. You need to understand that I like getting this reaction from my co-workers most of the time just for the entertainment value, but I miss being about to talk hunting.
    My question is.....
    Anyone else working out there today in a place where it is the minority opinion to want to seek small harmless and defenseless critters and give them the old dirt nap ticket?

Nope, hunting was a prerequisite where I work. infact both my bosses have something mounted in their offices. My direct boss has a nice 8pnt and the other has a nice lrg mouth. I fact my boss said the only reason he hired me was because I ice fished and he wanted to learn how.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

everyone i work with hunts and/or fishes, except one and she has learned to keep her mouth shut when she disagrees with us on this matter.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

My co-workers have no problem with it...I don't think They know I do it and they know how much I love it!!
    Hook 'Em Horns

You do have to be careful with what you say. Giving them "anti hunters" fuel for the fire is not what you want. The anti-hunting groups would jump on this faster than you think. In regard to your statement, don't be suprised if someone complains. All you need is for someone to say "he makes me nervous to be around." When HR asks why? He said he wanted to go out and kill something this weekend. What happens if they say he said "somebody"?Dangerous territory.

The way bow hunters speak and act in public makes an impression on non-hunters. Each hunter represents every hunter. Describing how "I stuck one but couldn't find it" in front of anti-hunters is generally repulsive to them.

When I was part of a conversation one year at work an anti-hunter asked me about how we kill deer with a bow. I turned to her and asked her why she was asking a question that had no relation to the subject that was at hand. I knew I was being set up. I told her she could look it up on the internet if she really wanted to know. Had I answered her with a response such as, a razor sharp broad head is shot at the deer in the lungs and if placed properly busts through the other side and it dies from bleeding out. I am sure that would not have been good for me. I am the minority and promote people to come and try archery...........not hunting..........archery. From there they can do what they want with the sport. Target, hunt, 3d etc.
    Just some thoughts. And to answer your question amoung us hunters, I can't wait to hunt something this weekend either. Coyote are still in season for us.
    Mike from Maine
    John 3:16
    Hoyt Katera 2008.

Default Sitting the fence

Not to earn a label of "fence sitter", but I grew up in a very conservation minded family. While I strongly disagree with the kinds of trophy hunts that happen very frequently (e.g. lions, elk - head only) I'm a strong advocate of harvesting animals for meat in line with good conservation.

I've never been a blood thirsty "gotta make something die" type hunter.

That said, I eat meat, and hunting your own is a good reminder of where it originates...and that every piece of meat means something miraculous must die. It's the natural order of things.

While I worked for a state conservation department, we had to cull hundreds of white tails that were diseased, sick, and starving due to over hunting of predators and a reduction in deer hunting. It was heart wrenching and confirmed my hunting ethic and desire to hunt were a positive thing.

I now work and live in Australia where animal conservation seems to be absent. Guys I work with go spot lighting and practice mass slaughter of hundreds of animals using incredible advantage (i.e. hunting at night from the back of a truck using 4 wheelers to coral the animals into a group for killing). I suppose the insult is that the animals are (except for the largest trophy animals) left to rot where they fall.

So, in my workplace...I seem to ride the fence between the fluffy people who believe that meat grows in supermarket packages and people I'd hardly call hunters....maybe just killers is a better term. I simply don't discuss hunting at work....not worth the anguish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooby View Post
    Not to earn a label of "fence sitter", but I grew up in a very conservation minded family. While I strongly disagree with the kinds of trophy hunts that happen very frequently (e.g. lions, elk - head only) I'm a strong advocate of harvesting animals for meat in line with good conservation.

I've never been a blood thirsty "gotta make something die" type hunter.

That said, I eat meat, and hunting your own is a good reminder of where it originates...and that every piece of meat means something miraculous must die. It's the natural order of things.

While I worked for a state conservation department, we had to cull hundreds of white tails that were diseased, sick, and starving due to over hunting of predators and a reduction in deer hunting. It was heart wrenching and confirmed my hunting ethic and desire to hunt were a positive thing.

I now work and live in Australia where animal conservation seems to be absent. Guys I work with go spot lighting and practice mass slaughter of hundreds of animals using incredible advantage (i.e. hunting at night from the back of a truck using 4 wheelers to coral the animals into a group for killing). I suppose the insult is that the animals are (except for the largest trophy animals) left to rot where they fall.

So, in my workplace...I seem to ride the fence between the fluffy people who believe that meat grows in supermarket packages and people I'd hardly call hunters....maybe just killers is a better term. I simply don't discuss hunting at work....not worth the anguish.
    Amen Dooby
    Mike from Maine
    John 3:16
    Hoyt Katera 2008.

My family, from all ends, think I'm nuts for hunting and fishing... Especially the bowhunting part of the equation.
    Too bad that none of them have tried it, if they did they might see a different side of things.
    I don't even approach the topic at work. There's no point.

If anyone hired me because I hunt and/or fish they would be hiring me for a very wrong reason.

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

MY boss loves to hunt, trap, and fish. We talk about it all the time, we are in the same clubs......

Makes it kinda tricky come hunting season....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Some great posts here.

I work with some hunters and some that think it to be repulsive. If they don't like me talking about it then just go away. Its part of their ancestory also as it is mine. Where would these people have been 100 years ago?? My grandpa and uncles had to kill to eat. I am very proud to be part of this group called (HUNTERS). We don't kill just for the sake of killing.

"HONDA"

Im a rig pig lol. We all love hunting. Good place to work.

Quote Originally Posted by my3sons&I View Post
    You do have to be careful with what you say.
    No kidding, I paid a lady at my work a compliment last week and it turns out, she didn't take it that way.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    No kidding, I paid a lady at my work a compliment last week and it turns out, she didn't take it that way.
    LOL...what did you say Slip?

"Hey Suzie, you really don't look very fat in that dress"
    Hook 'Em Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    LOL...what did you say Slip?
    ohh...nothing.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

try being the only hunter in your family,, with nephews that voulunteered for PETA at one time or another,,man they hate my butt, specially since I pointed out to my sis & bro that PETA IS considered a terrorist ORG. my bro & sis paid a lot of attention to the young ones & it took a couple of internet searches to validate those idiots.
    i sent them here
    http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

here
    http://www.undueinfluence.com/peta.htm

and here

http://www.targetofopportunity.com/peta.htm

well, needless to say I am the black sheep of the family.
    HBH Admin.
    BT Guardian."AWESOME BOW"
    last of the sheephicans
    Mexi-mutant.
    SCP4L

Thanks for the good posts. I really don't think that anyone here would ever go after my job over this as my administrators are pretty easy to work for, plus I live in a very pro-hunting community. I guess my job draws a certain type of person..... how I got here I am not sure?

The folks I work with love to hear my hunting exploits.Some of the guys "above" me hunt but never can get out cause they're too busy.They live hunting through my stories. It is common knowledge that I take 3 weeks off in the fall. No questions asked.Even the animal lovers respect my choice of weapons, my trusty switchback bow. Lots of hunting tradition in central NY.
    ORIGINAL SWITCHBACK

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson

Ummmmm...to say that I am the minority would be a drastic understatement! Not really a whole lot of stay-at-home mom's in suburbia that hunt! I was telling my pig slaying story not too long ago to a friend of mine in our daughters elementary school (no kids were around) and I kept looking around to make sure no other women could hear me They just don't get it!

Quote Originally Posted by pink camo View Post
    Ummmmm...to say that I am the minority would be a drastic understatement! Not really a whole lot of stay-at-home mom's in suburbia that hunt! I was telling my pig slaying story not too long ago to a friend of mine in our daughters elementary school (no kids were around) and I kept looking around to make sure no other women could hear me They just don't get it!
    heck I have to do that at the local gas station

damb Woodstock hippy's
    I cut things up and split them down!