You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default I'm hooked...now what?

(the following paragraph may bore you and is "skipable")

After spending a couple of hours with my good friend and his collection of high-end compound bows, I have discovered something incredible. I have had quite a few hobbies and interests that have faded away, and those faded hobbies never really started out with any kind of passion, but today I experienced the same feeling I experienced 2 years ago when I first threw a disc golf disc 430 feet the first time. (For the past 2 years I have played about 6,000 holes of disc golf.) I have always been OBSESSED with accuracy. My dad always tells people my middle name is "precision". So after my experience today, I have the "where have you been all my life" feeling in my mind. I am considerably more old fashioned than your average 24 year old guy, and take pride in mastering the "skills every man should know" (driving a manual trans, sharpening a knife by hand on an arkansas stone, building a proper fire, driving a nail in two strikes, bringing a wild animal from the wild to the dinner table, soldering a smoke detector wire back on, clean a bolt action rifle, tie a bowline knot with my eyest closed, ... I could go on and on). So you can see how bittersweet it is for me to finnaly "discover" archery. So a few questions arise...

First, I would be interested in both hunting and competing in 3d stuff. Is it a big deal to use hunting bows in 3d shooting, or are there other bows that are better suited for target shooting? It would be nice to do both with one bow. I am liking the Martin cheetah and bengal.

Second, I would like to get an in-depth book on archery/bowhunting that goes into great detail of all the aspects I must know.

I am looking foward to gaining more experience in this sport.

-Jeff

a lot of knowledgeable people here i have definitely learned tons here.

FBSA Member
    http://www.thefbsa.com
    Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

You can use a hunting bow in 3D or you can build a 3D only rig. It depends on what your motivation is for shooting it. If your primarliy a hunter then I'd recommend setting up a hunting rig and shoot hunter class. Just from what you posted I get the impression that's not going to satisfy you, I suspect you're eventually probably going to want to outfit a full 3D rig. Check out http://www.ibo.net/ for an idea of the different classes and equipment restrcitions. Go check out a few of the shoots in your area and talk to people. Most of them will be glad to answer your questions. If you like the Bengal find yourself a Martin pro dealer and look at the MOAB, a much nicer bow for not much more money. If you're going to shoot something like that I'd recommend staying in hunter class. I'm strictly a hunter class kind of shooter, the others on here can tell more about spending the big $$$
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Welcome to archery!! There are a lot of opinions out there. I personally shoot Bowhunter class in the 3D shoots. It is a bow I would hunt with also, but there are a lot of guys that have a different bow for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheely View Post
    Welcome to archery!! There are a lot of opinions out there. I personally shoot Bowhunter class in the 3D shoots. It is a bow I would hunt with also, but there are a lot of guys that have a different bow for everything.
    YUP, I have......

HUNTING/3D bow
    3D bow
    Indoor bow......

in my opinion, you cant really have a 1 bow fits all method......

or thats what i tell my WIFE anyway
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    YUP, I have......

HUNTING/3D bow
    3D bow
    Indoor bow......

in my opinion, you cant really have a 1 bow fits all method......

or thats what i tell my WIFE anyway
    When I can afford it, I will have at least 2 bows.

Default Welcome!

I love archery, especially bow hunting. In the fall of 2004 I started bow hunting after a 25 year layoff. In my second year I became obsessed. I bought a new bow and I've not regreted one minute of time spent on my favorite pastime. I wish I could say the same for some of the money I've spent. I wish I had found this forum sooner. It may have saved me some cash. In the last couple years I've learned to completley tune my own bow, finish my own arrows and do most of my own bow service. I also realize that I've just scratched the surface of this awesom sport. As in most things I study I find that the more I learn, the less I know. I also made my own sight system because I knew what I wanted and nobody makes one quite like it. This sport attracts many inventive people. There is a wealth of information on the internet and in books. I would suggest taking full advantage of both as well as this forum. Being a fellow perfectionist, I struggeled with setting unrealistic goals for myself. This took some of the fun out of it. Comparing myself to me a year ago and seeing the progress is more important than comparing my skills to the archers who are much better than I am. Finding a local archery shop with someone I could trust was important for me also. Welcome and enjoy! Jeff.

Welcome Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by GainesvilleJeff View Post
    (the following paragraph may bore you and is "skipable")

After spending a couple of hours with my good friend and his collection of high-end compound bows, I have discovered something incredible. I have had quite a few hobbies and interests that have faded away, and those faded hobbies never really started out with any kind of passion, but today I experienced the same feeling I experienced 2 years ago when I first threw a disc golf disc 430 feet the first time. (For the past 2 years I have played about 6,000 holes of disc golf.) I have always been OBSESSED with accuracy. My dad always tells people my middle name is "precision". So after my experience today, I have the "where have you been all my life" feeling in my mind. I am considerably more old fashioned than your average 24 year old guy, and take pride in mastering the "skills every man should know" (driving a manual trans, sharpening a knife by hand on an arkansas stone, building a proper fire, driving a nail in two strikes, bringing a wild animal from the wild to the dinner table, soldering a smoke detector wire back on, clean a bolt action rifle, tie a bowline knot with my eyest closed, ... I could go on and on). So you can see how bittersweet it is for me to finnaly "discover" archery. So a few questions arise...

First, I would be interested in both hunting and competing in 3d stuff. Is it a big deal to use hunting bows in 3d shooting, or are there other bows that are better suited for target shooting? It would be nice to do both with one bow. I am liking the Martin cheetah and bengal.

Second, I would like to get an in-depth book on archery/bowhunting that goes into great detail of all the aspects I must know.

I am looking foward to gaining more experience in this sport.

-Jeff
    I have just the thing for you!

Default Resources for info

In addition to what's mentioned above, I found the guides at http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm worth a read. Some are a bit dated, but still good value.

I also have read here for fun:
    http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/
    http://www.bowhunter.com/feature_articles/
    http://www.bowhuntingworld.com/artic...?ArticleID=357

This should keep you going at least until you get your bow in hand.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" -- Albert Einstein