You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Binoculars for 3D

I Need A Little Advise On Binos, I Have Been Using A Small Pair Of Nikons 10x25. While Out Looking Around Picked Up Apair Of 10x50 Too Big For Comfortable Adjustment, Thinking Of Maybe Going With 8x42. I Shoot In The Hunter Class Or Hunter Novice Depending On The Shoot.should I Consider 10x42 Instead. Can You Help With Pros Anc Cons. Thanks S.rob

The highest you can use in the IBO is 8.5's...I have been useing a pair of 8x42 Steiner Merlins for the last years and love them. Before that I was using the Nikon Monarch's 8x42's,I think the Steiner's are better in low light
    Last edited by HoytShooter88; 03-21-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Thank You , I Ordered A Pair Of Leupolds Yesterday And Was Doubting My Descion Since. Alot Of The Shoots Ive Done Are Small. Just Starting To Hit Noth G.a. Archery Events. S.rob

S.ROB,

I like using the Crooked Horn Bino system when shooting 3D.....as well as hunting.

I can use this system while shooting. For me, it is a very comfortable way to carry and use your binos.

Here's a link to see all about the system.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

I use the same bino system also!! Both for hunting, 3d, AND SOME OTHER THINGS!!! Their great at nascar tracks!! ill bet you guys thought i was going to say something else huh!!

Check out the Alpen Apex 496 (8.5x50mm) They are not much bigger than the 42mm and these are very nice for the money.

While attending the ATA show, we spent a lot of time looking at a bunch of different binoculars and brands. For the money, the Alpen was the best until we reached the $1200 mark. But considering the cost of the Alpens, I can buy 3 pairs for $1200.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

The Alpen is another great pair out there...Nikon came out with a 8.5x50 this year..I have not seen a price tag on them yet and they are a good size pai of binoculars...Not sure if you have ever seen the Steiner Merlin 8x50's, they are just about as big as them if not the same size..

$1200 dollars for binos? for 3-d? I would have to be drinking long and hard before I plopped down that much for a pair of binos. I guess i will just be glad that I have good eyes for now. And besides the $25.00 tasco 8X40 that I have work just fine for me. I do get accused of haveing illegal procedures done to my eyes though when I shoot against most people. specially when they relize at 35 yds i can see the 12 ring on most targets including the stupid bobcat from mckenzie w/no binos.
    I cut things up and split them down!

The real important thing to remember when buying binos is the magnification to objective lense ratio. I think it's referred to as aspect ratio. What you dont want is an aspect ratio much smaller than 5. If the aspect ratio is smaller than 5, then it's smaller than your pupil, which causes eye strain.

So..... Ideally you want something like a 8x40, or 10x50. 40/8 = 5. 50/10 = 5. I use 10x42, so the aspect ratio is 4.2. This aint too bad, bot what you really want to avoid are the 10x25's (2.5 AR) & such.

Once you determine the mag/obj setup you want, any of the better quality glasses should be pretty good. I'd advise to spend as much as you feel comfortable spending. $300 seems to be where they start to get into pretty good quality.

And the bino buddies are a necessity IMHO....

MoBowman ```--------->
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

Default Vortex

Check out the Vortex Line of binos - great quality for a very reasonable price. Comparable quality to the top of the line stuff at a lower price.
    Steve C
    Portage, MI

Carter Releases .... Shoot The Best!

Vortex Optics

Hoyt Pro-Elite
    Hoyt Ultratec

Sureloc Supreme Sight
    Sureloc Scope w/0.5 and 0.6 diopters
    Doinker 32" Elite Series Stabilizer
    Carbon Express X-Jammers - Spot
    Easton Fatboy 400 - 3D

Glory Be To The Lord

Default binos

I thank alll of you for your input, I went with apair of leupold 8x42 and the bino system. Now can I shoot what I see. CANT BLAME IT ON EQUIPMENT..

I got a pair of the Alpen 8.5X50s. These are great binos for the money. I also have a pair of Minox (by Leica) 8.5X42s. I feel these are a bit sharper, and resolution is better. The Alpens are brighter, and are plenty sharp enough for 3D. They were also about $200. less. The Alpens are hard to beat in their price range. And are better than many costing much more, IMO.
    "Could you guys be quiet. My dad's trying to shoot."
    BowTech........Refuse To Follow.

Smile I like Nikon, Vortex, Alpen but you have to check this out!!!

I just bought a new pair of Celestron Binoculars - Wow!!!!!

----

If you are like me and shoot many 3D tournaments, hunt, fish, and use your binoculars relentlessly in all weather conditions, you probably have 2 or 3 different brands.

I just ordered a new pair of Celestron Outland LX's from www.Stringslinger.com

http://www.stringslinger.com/71105.html

for the money, they are hard to beat.

I am also a professional photographer with over 28 years experience. I pay close attention to build and clarity and I have used Nikon, and I rate the Nikon Monarchs very high, of Course if you have deep pockets, the 1700.00 pairs are nice. I understand and have studied Vortex to be an up and comming binocular as well.

But the LX version of these Celestron's may be the best buy for the money I have ever seen! I have tried them out and they are well built and very sharp.

My guess is they are made in China in one of those new tooled factory's that are designed to build a quality product for a price no one can touch!

For all of my 3d buddies!

Regards
    Dennis

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    $1200 dollars for binos? for 3-d? I would have to be drinking long and hard before I plopped down that much for a pair of binos. I guess i will just be glad that I have good eyes for now. And besides the $25.00 tasco 8X40 that I have work just fine for me. I do get accused of haveing illegal procedures done to my eyes though when I shoot against most people. specially when they relize at 35 yds i can see the 12 ring on most targets including the stupid bobcat from mckenzie w/no binos.
    Are you part Indian or Superman?
    Maybe I could get you to be my caddy. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Bowman brings up a few things I been wondering about. First I agree that 1200 for binos is way to much. I find it hard to believe that they help that much. Unless you have them mounted on your bow with cross hairs in the lenses. And if you go to enough shoots couldn't you almost memorize where the scoring rings are. Lastly, do the shooters that score the highest have better than average eye sight. Or do all I need to do is practice, practice, practice....................
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

Quote Originally Posted by goldflinger View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Bowman brings up a few things I been wondering about. First I agree that 1200 for binos is way to much. I find it hard to believe that they help that much. Unless you have them mounted on your bow with cross hairs in the lenses. And if you go to enough shoots couldn't you almost memorize where the scoring rings are. Lastly, do the shooters that score the highest have better than average eye sight. Or do all I need to do is practice, practice, practice....................

Nope they have something better...... magic pencils

and 2 headed quarters...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    and 2 headed quarters...
    shhhhh....quite or the others (cheaters) will hear us......i mean those with the magic pencils and quarters

I've seen a few of those in action
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

Quote Originally Posted by MoBowman View Post
    I've seen a few of those in action
    me too......HUH ED