You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Spring Whitetail hunt

This spring, the MN DNR is promoting a spring deer season to reduce the herd within a TB area up here in the northern part of the state. I have some friends with land in this zone and I am thinking about taking part with my bow. From what I know, it sounds like a person can use pretty much any weapon - a gun, bow, knife, bomb, whatever as they just want dead dear. There is a permit that is needed, but they are even considering waiving that-as long as a kill is still registered and tested for TB.
    I've been told by some that spring deer are kind of nasty tasting and it is not a good idea to eat them. I can't say that I've ever shot one so I don't know. I am not sure about hunting and killing without the benefit of eating the deer. Any suggestions on this? I am not real excited to eat TB risk deer either, but I've heard that as long as it is cooked, the venison is fine???? Any adivse?

im not sure about the taste of spring deer but i hunt in michigan in the TB area and i have never got a deer with TB that i know of. but they say as long as its cooked thoroughly its fine. i would suggest that if you get a deer i would were gloves while dressing the deer. if you go to google and do a search on it there is a ton of info about it.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

It would be some very good experince in honing the hunt skills
    tahts all I would consider it for
    unless you consider helping out tha state thus tha herd.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

you could always donate the meat.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

Quote Originally Posted by MNMike View Post
    This spring, the MN DNR is promoting a spring deer season to reduce the herd within a TB area up here in the northern part of the state. I have some friends with land in this zone and I am thinking about taking part with my bow. From what I know, it sounds like a person can use pretty much any weapon - a gun, bow, knife, bomb, whatever as they just want dead dear. There is a permit that is needed, but they are even considering waiving that-as long as a kill is still registered and tested for TB.
    I've been told by some that spring deer are kind of nasty tasting and it is not a good idea to eat them. I can't say that I've ever shot one so I don't know. I am not sure about hunting and killing without the benefit of eating the deer. Any suggestions on this? I am not real excited to eat TB risk deer either, but I've heard that as long as it is cooked, the venison is fine???? Any adivse?
    Might I recommend then a Buick. Nothing takes down a deer like a nice buick, but you must make sure that you have a clear broadside shot.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by clemenlp View Post
    Might I recommend then a Buick. Nothing takes down a deer like a nice buick, but you must make sure that you have a clear broadside shot.
    That's a whole other problem!

Default well

In Va, we have an early urban archery season and to tell you the truth
    I just couldnt do it.
    The reason is i love Deer, i mean i really love to shootem and grillem and all
    but i also like to give them there space at there time of the year like right now thru the birthing season.
    I couldnt shoot a doe thats about to give birth and i dont want to shoot a big old buck that doesnt have his head gear, sorry thats just me
    After 35years of hunting i admire the Whitetail for trying to elude my arrows in october and im gonna give them there space in the off season
    Hell, i even feed them now.
    But thats my 2 cents, and to each his own
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I'm totally with KBOHUNT on this one. It would be horrible to shoot a doe with a couple well formed fawns inside her. Shooting an deer without plans to eat it doesn't interest me either. Although I've killed crows, coyotes , and groundhogs; which makes me a bit of a hypocrite; Well I just have too much respect for whitetails.
    ORIGINAL SWITCHBACK

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson

dodgensince74

I see no problem with it, you are doing yourself a favor by helping to control a problem. If they are having a spring hunt, then they must be worried about a TB outbreak and as a hunter you should not feel bad about going on the hunt. If you don't want the meat then you can always donate it, it is best to help stop any kind of out break before it spreads and really ruins your future hunts. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATE View Post
    I'm totally with KBOHUNT on this one. It would be horrible to shoot a doe with a couple well formed fawns inside her. Shooting an deer without plans to eat it doesn't interest me either. Although I've killed crows, coyotes , and groundhogs; which makes me a bit of a hypocrite; Well I just have too much respect for whitetails.
    To tell you the truth, I don't have a problem shooting a doe that is carrying on the basis that I would be practicing good population control. (one kill - three dead deer) I can't say that gutting her wouldn't bother me, but it is true that most of those deer will be dead soon - either through hunting or DNR intervention. Last year, the state paid sharpshooters to come and blast away at the herd. They were allowed to bait and they hunted at night. This way, at least it gives a hunter a chance to be out there. I just don't know about the meat.