You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default which arrow rest and why?

Does anyone have any comparsion of any of the drop away rest compared to the WB? Thanks in advanced, GOD BLESS!!!!!!!

That would be like comparing a Ford Pinto wagon (bizkit) to a Chevelle SS (any dropaway). Jeez someone sure knows how to fire ol Bowman up Did Bowhntnnotforlonghusier put you up to this??

But seriously I really dont think you can compare the two. they are just too different.

bizkit=bad.
    Dropaway=good
    I think I am going to put that last part in my signature.
    I cut things up and split them down!

lmao on the floor!! I bet myself $1000 that bowman was going to be the first one to replay to this one!!! Got to give him a fair shake tho bowman, both are good for their own reasons, ive used both, and now neither of the 2 are on my bows. lol bowman

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter
    lmao on the floor!! I bet myself $1000 that bowman was going to be the first one to replay to this one!!! Got to give him a fair shake tho bowman, both are good for their own reasons, ive used both, and now neither of the 2 are on my bows. lol bowman

I agree, I have used both and I liked the drop away better then the WB. The only style rest I use now is a launcher style rest.

Darrel
    Pro Staff Positions:

True Spot Scopes
    Coffey Marketing
    WindStalker Cable Guard
    VaneTec vanes
    Prostring custom bow strings

At the begining of the new year the IBO sends out a magazine of the past years IBO world champions and some other good stuff. All but 1 of the champions that shoot a release use a drop away style rest. The majoraty of them use the Trophy Taker rest. If a drop away is set up wrong you could get some issues with them, the launcher style rest are slowly becoming a thing of the past. I realy can't remeber the last time I set up a prong rest on a new bow at the store.

Quote Originally Posted by HoytShooter88
    At the begining of the new year the IBO sends out a magazine of the past years IBO world champions and some other good stuff. All but 1 of the champions that shoot a release use a drop away style rest. The majoraty of them use the Trophy Taker rest. If a drop away is set up wrong you could get some issues with them, the launcher style rest are slowly becoming a thing of the past. I realy can't remeber the last time I set up a prong rest on a new bow at the store.
    By launcher, I am referring to the spring steel type rest like the Brite Site Pro Tuner and the TT Spring Steel etc. Trust me, those are not a thing of the past. The more moving parts it has, the greater the chance it will fail. I have seen failures with drop aways and I am not willing to take that chance.

Darrel
    Pro Staff Positions:

True Spot Scopes
    Coffey Marketing
    WindStalker Cable Guard
    VaneTec vanes

Yes drop aways can have failures and so can the the othes.I use to use nothing but the GK Suprem rest until about 2 years ago. And beleive me Darrel it was hard to get away from them. The drop aways are the majority right now. I use to think just like you until I started useing the Trophy Taker,now all of my bows have one on them. Just a question Darrel,how many bows do you set up a week ?

Yes drop aways can have failures and so can the the othes.I use to use nothing but the GK Suprem rest until about 2 years ago. And beleive me Darrel it was hard to get away from them. The drop aways are the majority right now. I use to think just like you until I started useing the Trophy Taker,now all of my bows have one on them. Just a question Darrel,how many bows do you set up a week ?

So you starting this up here too.... LMAO. If you must know I spend much more time fixing the mistakes that "Pro" shop workers make. You know... the one that think they know what they are doing.

Darrel
    Pro Staff Positions:

True Spot Scopes
    Coffey Marketing
    WindStalker Cable Guard
    VaneTec vanes

All I was doing is answer the post Darrel...The thing that I think what really matters is that you are satisfied with what you have on your bow. I can remember when there was a big debate on the WB.If the shooter is happy with it and it works for them then that should be ok.If your type of rest is satifying you then that is great. For me right now the Trophy Taker is doing all that I ask of it. The one thing that I have found out to is that the spot shooters like you Darrel do still preffer the prong style. Where as the 3-D shooters are moving to the drop away rest. So it could be a trend that the 3-D shooters and hunters are getting into...Is there some junk out there yes...but there is a lot of good equipment out there..I kind of put this in the catagory that what works for you might not work for me...
    Last edited by HoytShooter88; 03-22-2006 at 08:49 AM.

All I was doing is answer the post Darrel...The thing that I think what really matters is that you are satisfied with what you have on your bow. I can remember when there was a big debate on the WB.If the shooter is happy with it and it works for them then that should be ok.If your type of rest is satifying you then that is great. For me right now the Trophy Taker is doing all that I ask of it. The one thing that I have found out to is that the spot shooters like you Darrel do still preffer the prong style. Where as the 3-D shooters are moving to the drop away rest. So it could be a trend that the 3-D shooters and hunters are getting into...Is there some junk out there yes...but there is a lot of good equipment out there..I kind of put this in the catagory that what works for you might not work for me...

Fair enough friend. I Know the trend here is hunters using WB, local shops are selling a ton of them. Most target shooters are using a launcher/blade type rest and 3D shooters are using a little of everything. Its all in what you have confidence in. I just know that for me, when the money is on the line, I want to keep it simple and dependable.

Darrel
    Pro Staff Positions:

True Spot Scopes
    Coffey Marketing
    WindStalker Cable Guard
    VaneTec vanes

If your are getting into serious tournament stuff you owe it to yourself to check out a trophy taker spring steel. Just my opinion. Yes, I have shot the whisker and trophy taker drop aways
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default hehehe just saw this

All I have to say is Whisker Biscuit. Easy to tune, excellent results, very good price. Hands down the greatest hunting rest of all time. I think Bowman has hidden issues with the biscuit. Good luck with what you decide.

"HONDA"

Greatest hunting rest of all time....for the lazy do it your self, dont know what I am doing, so i goed on 3-d shoots .com, and this guy named frank(bowhntnhoosier) was pickin on a guy named adam (Bowman) about this really cool new idea called any boby can mount it and shoot it cus who cares about arrow flight in this day and age of arrow companies saying you can use the same single shaft for any draw weight 1-1000lbs.... week end worrior archer..

Well sorry for that everybody got a little caried away.

Default Arrow flight

I am getting great arrow flight out of my biscuit. Dropaway rests are nice but for full containment when hunting and ease of tuning for beginners I think the biscuit is the best. Just like I think my XT is the best and my friend thinks his Trykon is the best. Prong rests are great for beginners also but I think the biscuit is superior to dropaways for beginning archers. As for you getting carried away adam "we can only hope" joke. Its funny how we can agree that mathews makes an awesome bow but when it comes to rest we are so far apart. I just can't believe how wrong you can be on this matter buddy Bottom line is use what you are comfortable with and have the most confidence in. And you can make it work for you even if you go with those nasty dropaways

Frank

"HONDA"

So on that last post did the screen come up that said you used too many smilies????

Default No I know the rules

Before I submit I always check that out. Hey by the way the lady at the shop that ordered the ROOTBEER LX got it last friday and it is a very nice looking bow . How is that new ICON coming along?

"HONDA"

Right now as we speak I am also getting ready to shoot the dealer an e-mail to tell him what sure loc set up to order for me. It is hurting a little in the pocket book area but will be worth it. I did get really good news at work today though, getting a nice raise and i'm feeling pretty good. So may have to go for the best rather then what i can aford at the pressent time.

The rest that you use will depend on the type of shooting that you are doing.

If you are hunting in close cover with shots never over 20 yards, the WB is an adequate rest. I've seen a pro archer use one to shoot a perfect Vegas round. Of course he could outshoot 99.9% of us with a plastic kid's bow and rubber tipped arrows, so this may not be a valid demostration of the WB's capabilities. My preference for hunting is a Muzzy Zero Effect. It's a little expensive and tricky to set up on some bows, but it's never failed me and I shot some fair scores with one when I first started shooting indoors. There are other drop aways and containment rests that will also do the job.

For indoor target shooting, the spring steel launchers are tough to beat. Simple, easy to tune & durable. They have a great track record indoors, but may not be the best choice in a hunting situation. When a big buck gets close, most of us have other things to think about than whether our arrow is about to fall off the rest. Personally, I get way too exited to use anything but a containment rest.

3D - It may depend on the class that you are shooting in. Most of the archers at my club that shoot unlimited with scopes and long stabilizers, are using the spring steel launchers, but a lot of the BHFS shooters are using drop aways like the TT, Copper John and Avalanche.

The one type of rest that seems to be falling into dis-use is the prong type. There are still plenty of people shooting them, but I don't see as many as I used to. They can be good rests, but if you don't set the prongs precisely, tuning can be difficult.

As in all things, match the tool to the job.