You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Turkey Ethics Question

I am planning on bowhunting turkeys here in a couple of weeks. My only fear is loosing a turkey after I shoot it. So heres my question. If I practice, shoot only at yardages I am comfortable with and use the best equipment and only take the best shot possible would it be unethical to have my hunting buddy shoot the turkey in the head as soon as I connect with an arrow. That way it would almost be like it was shot with a shotgun. So what do you guys think???

I don't think you will have to...
    But I wouldn't say it would be unethical.

If you shoot them through the wing joint they can not fly. If you shoot them in the thighs they can not run or fly. Or you could go for the vitals or a head shot. All of these are what I would consider ethical shots.

Good luck and aim small

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SinGin View Post
    I am planning on bowhunting turkeys here in a couple of weeks. My only fear is loosing a turkey after I shoot it. So heres my question. If I practice, shoot only at yardages I am comfortable with and use the best equipment and only take the best shot possible would it be unethical to have my hunting buddy shoot the turkey in the head as soon as I connect with an arrow. That way it would almost be like it was shot with a shotgun. So what do you guys think???
    If you are afraid you are going to lose one then dont take the bow. If you are confident you can get one, then take your bow.

Quote Originally Posted by archer1983 View Post
    If you are afraid you are going to lose one then dont take the bow. If you are confident you can get one, then take your bow.
    Is that why you gun hunt?

I figure if I do gut shoot one, and he gets away, its just a turkey. But I still take making an ethical shot seriously. In other words, if I lose a turkey, I'm no losing any sleep over it, a whitetail, yes, I would lose sleep, thats a lot of good eating that went to waste! Kinda. Cause it would still feed the other critters in the forest.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

I figure if I do gut shoot one, and he gets away, its just a turkey. But I still take making an ethical shot seriously. In other words, if I lose a turkey, I'm no losing any sleep over it, a whitetail, yes, I would lose sleep, thats a lot of good eating that went to waste! Kinda. Cause it would still feed the other critters in the forest.
    I see where this ethics discussion is going. It's just a turkey??? Shouldn't all game you are chasing be treated equally as far as a clean kill and recovery. WOW!!!

Carbon Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by STRO View Post
    I see where this ethics discussion is going. It's just a turkey??? Shouldn't all game you are chasing be treated equally as far as a clean kill and recovery. WOW!!!
    not when it concern's Slippy's relitives........(TURKEYS).........
    I cut things up and split them down!

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Default Found the spy slippy was talking about.......

he's in here, stirring the pot.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

No its a lot simpler than that. If he doesnt have confidence he can kill one then he shouldnt take his bow. If he is confident then he should take his bow. I never said whether he should or should not take a gun.

Did I?

You get the idea yet through that thick head of yours yet?

No its a lot simpler than that. If he doesnt have confidence he can kill one then he shouldnt take his bow. If he is confident then he should take his bow. I never said whether he should or should not take a gun.

Did I?

You get the idea yet through that thick head of yours yet?
    SEE me i am confindent with the bow but i ALWAYS TAKE MY GUN bc a dang turkey is hard enough to kill as it is!! Them bastards are confusing!!
    HoYt TRYKON.........Enough said!!!!!!!

Referral Link for Hoyt1986 http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8025

No its a lot simpler than that.You get the idea yet through that thick head of yours yet?
    Don't front.

And no, to answer the other guy, in general, not all animals hold the same value, not at all.

If you were fishing, and a big catch fish swallowed your hook on a catch and release lake, would you sleep that night? Thats what a I thought. Fish are animals too but people seem to forget that. Just this morning, I seen a live bat laying on the sidewalk, I stomped on it. Does that make me as bad as a deer poacher? Thats what I thought.

If you only take the close shots that are good angles you wont lose a bird. Wing joint or the hip, they wont go far.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILLIN, IT'S ABOUT THE GRILLIN
    FBSA MEMBER

Don't front.

And no, to answer the other guy, in general, not all animals hold the same value, not at all.

If you were fishing, and a big catch fish swallowed your hook on a catch and release lake, would you sleep that night? Thats what a I thought. Fish are animals too but people seem to forget that. Just this morning, I seen a live bat laying on the sidewalk, I stomped on it. Does that make me as bad as a deer poacher? Thats what I thought.
    I don't think I am going to respond to this one, just stay away from my woods.

Carbon Matrix

Don't front.

YES they do
    YES I would sleep, the hook will eventually come out

And to just kill something to kill, makes you a piece of crap in my eyes

This is why many have elected to go for the head, though maybe gruesome, its probably the most humane cause with a turkey's head, its hit or miss and if you hit, they won't go far. Now if we were talking about head shooting deer, there would be an uproar for all you 'turkeys are just as vailable as deer tree huggers'. They are not, do we as hunters still have a morale obligation to take all animals as humanely as possible, yes.

Am I a piece of crap for stomping a bat that tried to attack me, I guess so as long as Bunny thinks so. Afterall, his opinion holds a lot of water.... Until you've been attacked by a rabid bat, keep your opinions to yourself city slicker.

As for the other guy threatening me to stay out of his woods. Please don't threaten me.

This is why many have elected to go for the head, though maybe gruesome, its probably the most humane cause with a turkey's head, its hit or miss and if you hit, they won't go far. Now if we were talking about head shooting deer, there would be an uproar for all you 'turkeys are just as vailable as deer tree huggers'. They are not, do we as hunters still have a morale obligation to take all animals as humanely as possible, yes.

Am I a piece of crap for stomping a bat that tried to attack me, I guess so as long as Bunny thinks so. Afterall, his opinion holds a lot of water.... Until you've been attacked by a rabid bat, keep your opinions to yourself city slicker.

As for the other guy threatening me to stay out of his woods. Please don't threaten me.

I didn't see a threat there. I just said to stay away from my woods

Carbon Matrix

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by STRO View Post
    I didn't see a threat there. I just said to stay away from my woods
    I don't think I am going to respond to this.

Psych!

I took it as a threat but in no way was I offended, so don't sweat it bud. No prob, just a little difference in opinions I guess.

But for clarity, you want me to stay out of your woods because I don't think a turkey is as valuable as a deer or because I stomped out a bat that tried to attack me? Just curious.

Dippy,
    A turkeys kill zone happens to be the head. A deer has a different kill zone last time I checked. oh yeah how would you know that? You only bowhunt turkeys.

Dippy,
    you didnt say that you were being attacked in your previous post.

see post below;

Don't front.

Last edited by archer1983; 04-07-2008 at 03:18 PM.

First off colleg boy, I've never hunted a turkey with a bow in my life. This year will be the first.

And, I didn't think the bat attacking me part was relevant, didn't want to make it seem like I was afraid or something.

Oh, and in Ohio, there is open season on groundhogs, no bag limit. Does that make a groundhog less important than a rabbit, it seems so?

First off colleg boy, I've never hunted a turkey with a bow in my life. This year will be the first.

And, I didn't think the bat attacking me part was relevant, didn't want to make it seem like I was afraid or something.

Oh, and in Ohio, there is open season on groundhogs, no bag limit. Does that make a groundhog less important than a rabbit, it seems so?

it means there are to many and the numbers need to be controlled