You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fletching Question, Helical numbers

I recently bought a new dozen arrows, Carbon Express CX 300. They are the same arrows I have used since I started shooting. The previous dozen or so I bought came in a box already fletched with a small amount of helical. Now these ones I bought the other day had to be fletched and the guy put them on straight. I gave him an arrow for reference, but I guess if you don't ask for anything different then they put them on straight. That seemed to be their policy anyway when I asked if I could get them re-done.

I know I will have to have them redone at some point. For the time being I sighted my bow to accomodate the new config. My questions is this:

Does anyone know what degree of helical those CE CX 300 arrows come with from the factory?

It's usually a 2 degree offset...

straight is 2 and Helical is 11

Thanks!

Next question:

What Fletching jig can I get that would have the ability to give me that 2 degrees, or maybe even a bit more?

And also be user friendly for a beginner.

I have looked at all kinds of brands but it is hard to choose when youhave never done this yourself. I kind of liked the idea of that EZ AZ fletch system, but it didn't look like you had much option for configuration as far as the amount of helical.

I did not know helical was 11. I hear a bunch of different numbers in reference to the term.

so what I am looking for is a jig that can allow me to experiment with differnt degrees of "offset." I would like to increase my offset on a few arrows and see how much of a difference it makes in my accuracy when shooting my broadhead. I use a fixed blade Muzzy 100g.

I guess my ultimate goal is to find the best mix for both broadhead and field point.
    Last edited by vmabuck; 04-13-2008 at 08:08 PM.

I use a jo jan they are are about $35 and easy to use

Banned

A bitzenberger jig will probably work best for you. A little pricey but well woth the money in the long run.

Bitzenburger
    I cut things up and split them down!

just seeing who's burgher was right

And both of those options will allow for different offset values without having to purchase different clamps?

No you have a straight, Left Helical, right helical

So basically, for each degree of offset you want, you must have a different clamp?

You pretty much have straight or helical

This is where I am hazy about this "helical" "offset" thing. If you check a little ways down this link they have a chart with suggestions for fletching setup:

Flething chart

I fall into the category of 5" vane, with offset. Now I use a 4" vane and I used to have that 2 degree offset that you had said came standard form carbon Express.

So when they say offset, do they always mean 2 degrees?

I know that 2 degrees made a huge difference compared to the perfectly straight fletchings they made up for me on those new arrows I got recently.

My idea was to split the difference, and put 4 to 6 degrees offset and see how that shot. I have never fletched before though so I do not know what all of my options are...

you can adjust the amount of offset on some jigs and on others it's fixed.

You can put any degree of offset or helical on an arrows as long as the arrow surface is wide enough to handle it. 2 Deg or 11deg does not refer to offset or helical fletching.
    The more helical or offset you use the more the arrow will osscilate in flight. It will also slow it down more as well.

You shouldn't use straight fletching with broadheads. You need some degree of offset or helical to stabilze the arrow.

The pic below shows the difference in the 3.

Fletching Question, Helical numbers - General Archery Forum

Quote Originally Posted by vmabuck View Post
    So basically, for each degree of offset you want, you must have a different clamp?
    With a Blitz jig you can straight offset clamps and left and right helical clamps. You adjust the degree of each on the jig itself not the clamps.

I will check out that Blitz jig then. I was always right on the money with the standard offset that came on my Carbon Express CX 300 arrows.

I was told in another thread that it was more than likely 2 degrees...

Or I guess I was told in this thread...

I have a bitzenberger jig. What I did was to loosen the offset adjustments and put a factory fletched carbon express cx 300 in the jig. I then set the offset close as I could by eye and clamped the vain. Then I adjusted the offset until it matched the original vain. I could tell when the vain was relaxed that the jig was set the same. I've had no reason to change the offset weather I fletch 5" feathers or 2" blazers. Have fun, I do.

So the Bitzenburger finally showed last week and I made an attempt to fletch with no manual or ever having done this. After about 10 minutes of just looking at the device it is not really all that difficult as I imaged it would be.

I played around with the settings for a straight clamp and got it so it looked close to the 2 degrees offset I had on all my previous arrows. The only problem was that all I had was 5 inch fletchings and all my arrows have 4".

No big deal though, I just wanted to try it. Everything seemed to work pretty well for the most part. I did under glue one of them and it did not adhere to the shaft but on the very fwrd and aft sections. I just re-did that one and it turned out ok.

What I am assuming now is that I can get a bit more offset with the shorter fletching. Does that sound right?

I just thought I would put a couples pics in for good measure. I do have one question about the small piece of metal that was sent with it. It is in the second pic sitting on the base of the jig. What is that used for?